cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if a Guaranteed Delivery is late?

I do not offer Guaranteed Delivery shipping but others do.

What does eBay do if a package is late?

I bought an item from a GD shipper. It was due today and did not arrive. I have no interest in causing the seller a problem. Tracking shows he shipped it immediately. I assume the delay is caused by the heavy holiday mail.

BUT what does eBay do? Does the seller automatically get a ding? (that sucks - not his fault).  Does the buyer (me) get a perk?

What’s the 411?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Read the policy here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/buying-items-ebay-guaranteed-delivery?id=4641&st=...

Note this section:

What to do if your item doesn't arrive by the guaranteed delivery date

and this one too:

How we'll make it right

Filing a "case" over late deliver will NOT effect the seller (as long as the seller met the handling time in the listing)  [IF he didn't, then this is a SNAD case. (blues have commented on that on these threads!). 

This is ebay's program to make happy buyers and ebay will give you something for the "terrible inconvenience" you suffered!  So yeah, take advantage of it and get your "reward!"

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Read the policy here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/buying-items-ebay-guaranteed-delivery?id=4641&st=...

Note this section:

What to do if your item doesn't arrive by the guaranteed delivery date

and this one too:

How we'll make it right

Filing a "case" over late deliver will NOT effect the seller (as long as the seller met the handling time in the listing)  [IF he didn't, then this is a SNAD case. (blues have commented on that on these threads!). 

This is ebay's program to make happy buyers and ebay will give you something for the "terrible inconvenience" you suffered!  So yeah, take advantage of it and get your "reward!"

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for the info. I am primarily a seller, but I do make an occassional purchase so this was new to me.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@richard1rst

Oh and another thing, even though it is buried in the "help" information, you DO "offer" Guaranteed Delivery

IF you listing qualifies for Fast n Free shipping.  This is new eBay change that they have implimented as noted in this:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/estimated-delivery-dates-sellers?id=4086&st=2&pos=3...

See Section:

Fast 'N Free listings - Now Guaranteed by eBay with seller protection

It is a great feature that attracts buyers.  However, I have seen sellers on these boards mention how terrible it is and that they changed their handling times to 4-days so they can specifically AVOID Gauanteed Delivery!  smh

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Not sure this is true.  A lot of my listings are USPS Priority or USPS First Class Package Service.  When Neighbors log in and look at my listings, only two of them show "Fast & Free" shipping and neither of those two have the Guaranteed Delivery logo associated with them!  I have 1-day handling time and have ALWAYS uploaded labels within that time frame AND delivered packages to USPS within that time frame, if not same day.

So not sure how the FnF works, if it does, let alone the GD program?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

you DO "offer" Guaranteed Delivery IF you listing qualifies for Fast n Free shipping.  This is new eBay change that they have implimented as noted in this:

Thank you. An interesting heads up.

I’m sure a lot of us didn’t realize that.

Roughly 2/3rds of my listings offer free shipping. More to come.

BUT what caught my eye was that negative or neutral feedback based on a late delivery can be removed. The proverbial silver lining.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It stinks. They offered me 5 dollar voucher on a 500 dollar motor that shipped 900 miles
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The bottom line here is the seller/shipper has ZERO, let me repeat, ZERO control over how long it takes the delivery service to deliver a package.

I use USPS, I mail within 24 hours of purchase. USPS says delivery will be 2 days with the flat rate padded envelope. I have had packages take 4 days to be delivered.  How is this my fault?

As an ebay seller AND buye,r I would NEVER file a claim on an item that is shipped to me in a reasonable time. I think this is a selfish move on a buyer's part.

And, I do believe is costs the seller the price of the shipping. I do believe the buyer's shipping cost is refunded, from the seller's account to the buyer's account. I noticed the shipping cost was returned to a buyer's, on a package I mailed, at Christmas time. I was given NO notice that this was happening. I just happened to notice it said 'partial refund' next to the sold item.

Maybe, ebay offers the $5.00 'coupon' on items that offer free shipping.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@divotf15 wrote:
It stinks. They offered me 5 dollar voucher on a 500 dollar motor that shipped 900 miles

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I did opt into guaranteed delivery voluntarily.  Why?  Because eBay pads the delivery time knowing they could be on the line for a 5 dollar voucher if it is not met.  I have actually encouraged my buyers to report late delivery to collect their $5.00 voucher... My attitude is that the buyer is entitled to it.  eBay made the offer and there is no reason they shouldn't get it.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me. I purchased a MacBook Pro that was suppose to be here Friday. It's Sunday late afternoon and still hasn't arrived. I reported the late delivery and chose the $5.00 voucher. Yes, it's better than nothing. However, it's hard for me to associate the phrase "guaranteed delivery" and "$5.00 voucher". Especially if it's an expensive purchase.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

A Few months ago I sent a Purchase out to a Buyer . She contacted  me saying it was 1 day late of the eBay guaranteed date . I had already opted out of the eBay guaranteed date twice before. The buyer wanted to keep her item but wanted a total refund on everything because it was one day late. Thankfully she did not leave a negative feedback as I  said I could not do that.  Today I was contacted by a buyer asking if I could lower the price on an item that was under $10 and had free shipping and Delivery Confirmation . I clicked on the item and to my horror it said delivery Guaranteed in 2 Days. I called eBay as soon as I saw that.  I was informed that since I offered free shipping it will automatically have the Guaranteed Delivery. I told her the item would ship first class and there was no way I could get it to California from Missouri in 2 Days. My Only option is to remove all the free shipping and change the price on my items for sale. The eBay person recommended I not do that because free shipping attracts buyers . I was informed from my daughter who also sells that it is actually the opposite . Can anyone give me an opinion on what to do. My sales have gone down to less then half since they started this 50 or 60 day deal of showing our items. I can not understand how they can charge us monthly on our stores but the item only comes up every 50 or 60 days... We have sold for 18+ years but now I am wondering if this is all worth it. Any opinion would be very helpful.  Thank you  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

How quickly was the item packed and shipped? Once the seller has done due diligence and it is in the hands of a shipping company, there's really nothing more they can do. I think everyone gets $5.00 as a courtesy.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@littlecrunch 

eBay applies GD to sellers items even if not opted into GD.

They look at your "historical" handling time, and show the buyer GD.

I have 3 day handling. Not in the GD program, but eBay will show GD for many of my listings, as I generally ship same, or next day.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ok so what if the seller intentionally chooses to ship the item using economy service that has a minimum possible delivery date that is 4 days after the guaranteed delivery date that was set for 4 days after purchase of the product?
The item could have got here in 4 days but the seller had zero intentions of upholding that by instead choosing a much cheaper economy service with 8 day shipping time.
Saying sellers have no control is absolutely insanity and just a flat out lie.
Anyone viewing this should avoid a seller making such outrages lies such as this one.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply