cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very confusing Shipping Policies

I just tried to make a small change in the description for one of my listings, and upon submitting the update, I got the following notification:

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

I had done nothing to change my Shipping or Return policies, and the drop down list box for "Shipping policy" showed a long list of completely meaningless (to me) policies from which to choose. At this point, I had no idea how to keep my previously selected shipping requirements for this listing, so I just cancelled out of the update altogether. What the heck is going on here?!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Very confusing Shipping Policies

It sounds like you somehow got opted in to using Business Policies. You can opt out any time by selecting the Opt out link on the Manage business policies page.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It sounds like you somehow got opted in to using Business Policies. You can opt out any time by selecting the Opt out link on the Manage business policies page.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It sounds as if ebay opted you into business policies. Some people really like them but it's confusing as heck at first.   I think that  if you opt out of business policies it will hopefully restore the other options.  There should be an opt out link on this page...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/business-policies/business-policies?id=4212&st=12&pos=1&query=Busi...

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yep, I was somehow opted into business policies.  After opting out, all is well again.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Yes indeed, I was somehow opted into business policies.  After opting out, all is well again.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

From what I can gather it looks like ebay is going to make the policies mandatory? Are they rolling this out like they did with managed payments?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It's very conusing and apparently they signed me up. I opted out and they said everyone will have to use it one day. They asked if I would tell why and then it never gave me the oportunity. It's very time consuming and makes no sense. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@thejeal51 wrote:

I opted out and they said everyone will have to use it one day.

I have seen a noticeable increase in posts from people that were unknowingly opted in to business policies the past month.

Is the above statement that "everyone will have to use it one day" correct velvet@ebay / jasmen@ebay? Is eBay implementing an unannounced slow opt-in of all members?

I use business policies myself, but I can definitely see why the casual seller would not want to and would only be confused and encumbered by the process if they're coming here to sell just a few items.

The one big gripe I have about biz policies is that handling time is not a separate policy. Handling time is integrated into each shipping policy, so if you want to do a bulk edit of your handling time, it's a really cumbersome process. You have to update each individual shipping policy - then later if you want to change the handling time back you have to update each shipping policy all over again. If handling time was a separate policy it would make 1,000 times more sense.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

When they first implemented business policies they did say that eventually everyone would have to use it but that was years ago so I don't know if that is still the plan.   They opted me in once and it was very confusing because I suddenly had a zillion policies and I had no idea what was in each one.   Well a zillion is a bit of an exaggeration but it was still confusing.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Yeah, it's a big mess when you're first opted in and the automated clean up process doesn't really clean things up. It takes time to get it sorted, but once it's done and all set up I find it to be a big time-saver when listing. Just wish handling time was separate.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Morning @wastingtime101 it's not required at all and members can opt out at any time! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for telling me how to opt out.  It was a nightmare!  Why don't they just leave things alone!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you to all above for the help.  These policies just popped up today (8/17/2023) and really had me confused.  I found the tab and opted out and everything went back to "normal".

Thanks

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply