cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underpaid Postage

I just received an email from ebay informing me that I recently underpaid on postage for a package sent through USPS, but the email states...

"you will not be charged anything now for these items, but we ask that you check your processes to avoid being charged for additional postage in the future."

I went back and checked, and sure enough, I did underpay on a package by a couple bucks, but my question is, why aren't they charging me for it?  The buyer never mentioned anything to me about USPS charging them upon delivery, and the tracking showed "delivered front door/porch", so I'm assuming they didn't try to collect anything upon delivery.  Seems kind of strange that they wouldn't want to collect, and I was in the wrong, so definitely don't mind paying what I owe, but I don't know how I would go about doing it.

Something else I noticed while looking at my records on that transaction, I thought my ebay shipping discount was 10% off, but it looks like they use some kind of backwards mathematics to arrive at the price I'm paying.  Without the discount (disregarding insurance), the postage would have been $7.40.  10% off of that would be- $0.74 which would leave me paying $6.66, but I paid $6.73.  I realized that if I add 10% of $6.73 to that ($6.73+$0.67), it will total up to $7.40, but that's not what I would consider 10% off of the original price.  I'm assuming they use some kind of language that is misleading, like "10% savings" or something of that nature, but I thought that was a pretty sneaky way to represent the discount when I noticed it.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Underpaid Postage

USPS has a new "Automatic package verification" program that automatically will charge underpaid postage to the sender.  You have been given a warning and a one-time pass without being charged for the underpaid psostage.  (This is the second such post I have read this evening.)

The "eBay shipping discount" is not special for eBay; it's just the difference between the regular retail (over-the-counter) postage rates versus the regular online (Commecial Base) rates that you would pay for any online postage vendor (PayPal. stamps.com, endicia, etc.).  This can vary from 5% to 25% depending on the weight, zone,  and service.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Underpaid Postage

USPS has a new "Automatic package verification" program that automatically will charge underpaid postage to the sender.  You have been given a warning and a one-time pass without being charged for the underpaid psostage.  (This is the second such post I have read this evening.)

The "eBay shipping discount" is not special for eBay; it's just the difference between the regular retail (over-the-counter) postage rates versus the regular online (Commecial Base) rates that you would pay for any online postage vendor (PayPal. stamps.com, endicia, etc.).  This can vary from 5% to 25% depending on the weight, zone,  and service.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

Got the same message the other day but they were completely wrong on their "claimed" weight.

Item was 0.37lbs they said it was 0.92lbs. I stock this item so it was pretty easy to verify by reweighing another and sure enough its 0.37lbs as I paid for.

I would love to know when the system makes a glaring mistake like this what recourse does the seller have? I'm going to guess if they make a mistake it just becomes yet another business expense 😞

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I got the email too, knew it was wrong, but like so much ebay does, I knew that they will tell you a duck is a cow, and you have to accept it. So, I called USPS wanting to see if they have any type of proof of the supposed overweight item on the scale. Also, one item they noted, was due to the fact that I "Shipped a priority item First class". It did not specify what that meant, such as weight, dimensions, improper box,etc. And it doesn't matter, because only God and I will ever know the truth. Now, get this......, they informed me the post office does have visual images for this, but they don't send it to us, they send it to ebay. That's who they have the account with thus we are not entitled......., that's their explaination. Also, I asked about the supposed refunds they're going to give when we overpay(laughable). Well, wouldn't you know .......,you have to file a claim, and that would be on ebay to do. Well, you've got to assume they are getting the money.

Guys, I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but these kinds of issues aren't limited to ebay. Lately, we leave more confused than we were when we initially called just about any given company. Uber, Microsoft, and many others are doing away with customer service #'s. Facebook can ask you for a drivers license if they want(have you ever narrowed down your Facebook page audience parameters and seen what they know about ALL of us?? Why is it many sites ask us if we want to sign in with Facebook or google, which is always more convenient...., how does this benefit them?), uber doesn't have to abide by the same laws as cab companies, and ebay in conjunction with paypal, can do whatever they want with your money. Paypal doesn't have to abide by the same laws as banks. Step back and see it for what it is..., all tech companies.

Mr. Musk bought paypal, and of course, we all know Space X is Americas sweetheart. Iron Mans character in the movie adaptation was based on him, and the world loved it. He made cameos in the movie! Google got complaints about their satelites capturing pictures of naked sunbathers in their own private back yards, and the CEO says  publicly "You shouldn't be doing things that you know you shouldn't be doing." Now, keep in mind, this company, the future of expanding AI and 5G, has a motto like "Don't be evil". The US military is very reliant on all these new "innovations", DC loves the e commerce expansion opening our ability to sell abroad in a even bigger way, and now the new law regarding net neutrality, which ebay would have us believe they are against......., Facebook got caught recording our conversations WHEN THE PHONE WAS OFF for marketing purposes, and no big deal in the news? No investigation? We have no info on the equifax breach, and we are suppose to what..., get over it without answers? Does anyone other than me notice that these tech companies are getting more brutal?  That we seem to be getting more agreeable to whatever they tell us, like "Your wrong, we're right" even in mass numbers! They know we are literally addicted to the technology. We now have a common disorder called phantom vibrations, because we anticipate someone messaging us. Chips replacing strips, for as they say, better security...., again, laughable. Pay no mind to those employees of tech companies that are out their showing off their implanted chip at expos, telling us that chips will make us safer. Just like the algorythms telling doctors which ER patient should be seen first, and which one has no chance. Bye bye miracles. Even HP's Instant Ink program is scary. You call them, and good luck not somehow giving them money. The printer tracks reports, emails HP,and makes the decisions with regards to whether you need ink, etc. You cannot switch ink cartridges between printers, but that seems a bit complicated and expensive for them.........,HP relies on communications from millions of printers, and will never take a customers word over their machine. Our lives, reputations, and I dare say our freedoms are being disassembled and replaced with the decisions of algorythms, programs, and their programmers. If you are confused or need help, you will need to contact your virtual assistant, who will show you the way to either a FAQ section, or a forum of other angry customers so you all can talk about it......, it's called breaking down the populace, magicians call it slight of hand, and those that tested their theories about the niavity of the citizen mind rejoiced after they saw what Orson Well's broadcast of War of the Worlds caused some listeners to do. Technology is the key, and even this platform company has a role in all of it. They have us training our children to abide, and have been doing so for a while now. Russia didn't sabatoge elections, our brainwashed minds voted based on whatever was put in front of us to digest. Both supporters and those against Trump are missing the point..., they proved we would do whatever they wanted us to do, no matter how absurd or surreal it seemed. And they proved they could distract us with his antics, and our own divisiveness, while they do whatever it is they are doing behind our backs. Distraction, propoganda, all old tricks but just in a new form.Facebook let the fake news run, the government acted like they were scolding them, and then like that, subject closed. So, get use to saying what we all have been saying for a while now with ebay...., "Thank you master, may I have more?" There will be other companies and services expecting to hear it too in due time. FYI, aliens wouldn't waist the gas, Elvis would have spoke up by now about the countries insanity if he were still alive, and no, the world is not flat, otherwise people would be running to jump off the edges. But THIS, it laughs at all of us. It's the forest that we don't see due to the trees they're putting up. Far fetched you say? Well, then this plan is going better that they expected.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I'm not reading that wall o' text, but if you underpay and use Ebay labels, Ebay sends the notice. I use stamps.com.  If I underpay, stamps.com sends the notice.

This isn't some wild, weird conspiracy, and Ebay won't be getting the money, the Post Office will.  Google "USPS automated package verification".

You can find the Ebay announcement, dated 1 Aug 2017, here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-Begins-Automated-Package-Verification-Changing-Unde...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I just got a notice from Paypal. and I happen to knwo the item I ship is ONLY 1 lbs. and they charged me for 1lbs 1oz. which is complete **bleep** since I ship this item almost every single day. same packaging every time.
1lbs is 1lbs.
This is the first time this has happened and I'd like to know who to contact at USPS.
Anyone know?
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I agree 100% to what you're saying I too have had underpaid shipping charge to my account right now I'm looking at proximately 40 * now I do ship on an average of 10 packages a day so that's 70 a week and about 10% of those or coming back as underpaid shipping now there was something wrong with my scale which there isn't because I verified it then I could see more mistakes coming back but the 10% supposedly that are off strangely enough they're in the 14 15 oz range by my scale and the post office is saying that I underpaid and then then charging me for priority and then they charge my account I agree 100% to what's your saying I to of had under paid shipping charge to my account right now I'm looking at proximity 40 * now I do ship on a average of 10 packages of day so that 70 or week and about 10 percent of those or coming back as under paid shipping now there was something wrong with my scale which there isn't because I've verified it then I could see more mistakes coming back but the 10% supposedly that are off strangely enough there in the 14th 15 oz range by my scale and the post office is saying that I under paid and then then charging me for priority and then they charge my account I'm going to say between 660 well between $6 and $7.15 additional sister days ago they charge me $7.15 additional for 1 hour for 1 package which I originally paid $3.50 for I believe the weight was about 12 oz so that meant that I paid over $10 a ship that one package that according to my calculations 14 ounces so the post office is ripping off eBay Sawyer's big time and eBay's letting them do it
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I am having the same issue,  is it possible that they have to manually reset their scales?  It seems to me that it's two of my packagestuff weights together, because the keep coming up with a 33% discrepancy.  I am tired of submitting disputes with them.  

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

The geek in me cant let this go. I tried really, really hard. Tonk Stark was created way before Musk was born and he was has always been just as he is in the movies.  Nuff said!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

So, I have a couple questions since I'm trying to understand how I underpaid for a Priority Mail SMALL Box label at about $7 and something cents and they indicate that $5.30 was paid...

1) Is ebay paying the shipping after setting aside a handling fee that either ebay or I designated?

2) When I ship in a box that's definitely the SMALL size and the box doesn't close completely cleanly (a noticeable curve on one side) but is firmly taped shut...does USPS open the package and then move it into the next largest box?  

COMPLAINT EXAMPLE:

Reason: Service on label didn't match service used

Service on label: USPS Priority Mail SMALL Flat Rate Box

Actual Service: USPS Priority Mail MEDIUM Flat Rate Box

BOX USED:

Small Flat Rate Box       up to 70 lbs.         8 11⁄16″ x 5 7⁄16″ x 1 3⁄4″

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

There is a USPS screwup working with some incorrect SFRB barcodes on boxes, but not exactly your situation.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/USPS-Cost-Adjustment-is-out-of-control/m-p/29626907#M...

What is the human readable barcode number on your SFRBs?

PS00011000003 (correct) or PS00010000022 (incorrect 1096L number)
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

As a seller, anyway to accept the underpaid charges through ebay or other means instead charging buyers extra?

I may have sent an item that was under weighed, as the value I inputted during the listing creation was the weight of the product, not the weight of the product+packaging. Its my first time purchasing a shipping label through ebay, so it used the lesser value by mistake.

From what I'm getting, ebay does send a message to sellers if underpaid. But is there a way to remedy that before buyers are charge extra? I'm in the ebay manage shipping labels menu. Would it appear here?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

This thread is nearly two years old.  USPS was in the process of implementing new equipment, policies and procedures.  Under current USPS procedures, the underpaid online postage will automatically be charged to your eBay account.  The buyer won't even know it happened.

https://link.usps.com/2017/10/05/what-is-apv/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

This I know. I was charged an extra $4.95 for a package that they claim weighed 5 oz more than what I had on it. That is absurd! So they basically charged me over $10.00 for an item that weighed 13 oz
Message 15 of 20
latest reply