cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to print USPS Shipping Label

Trying to print a 1st class shipping label. Error:

Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label.

What is going on? Why is there no announcement. Attempted to contact customer service - no response after waiting over an hour.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Unable to print USPS Shipping Label

Happens alot; just click out of shipping, click back in and do it again. If it doesn't work, that's a USPS thing- wait an hour or so, it'll be back. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Check the length. Ebay has a top length for 1st class (I think about 18 inches). I don't think this is via the post office. ebay just made it up. So, reduce the length and see what happens.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Save it as a PDF to the desktop and print from that.

You might want to clean up your cookies too.

Hope that works for you.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I tried changing the weight to 1 pound and it still did not work. I had to go my USPS account and print label without eBay discount.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Were you charged for it?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@local wrote:

I tried changing the weight to 1 pound and it still did not work. I had to go my USPS account and print label without eBay discount.

Ouch.  If this happens again. you can purchase postage through PayPal at the regular online rates.  First Class and Priority Mail prices are the same as through eBay, though if you're a Top Rated Seller you won't get the 3% extra postage discount.

www.PayPal.com/shipnow

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

First Class Package has a weight limit of 15.99 ounces if printing labels online, and 13 ounces if paying at the post office counter.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@iart wrote:

Check the length. Ebay has a top length for 1st class (I think about 18 inches). I don't think this is via the post office. ebay just made it up. So, reduce the length and see what happens.

USPS has an official length limit of 22 inches for online First Class packages. See section 8.3.2.d:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097318

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Glad to hear you could create and print a first class package label from your USPS account. I have never been able to do that and still am unable to do so. I can get every other kind of service through my online USPS account but not first class packages. I do however have an independent shipping service where I can create and print labels at about the same discounted rate that I can get through eBay. Since I have a one day processing time I have used this a couple of times when the eBay interface was having issues. 

Not sure if you sell and ship internationally but for international shipments you can ship up to 4 pounds via first class package.  In addition the package can be a bit larger with 24" being the maximum and a maximum of L+W+H not exceeding 36".

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I sold an item offering free first class shipping. The package is 24" long and the eBay USPS label will not print out. If it's true that you can't ship first class over 18 inches, I think it would sporting of eBay to let the sellers know this in advance. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

As noted above, the length limit is 22 inches.   Yes, a well-programmed listing form would have given you a heads-up when you entered 24 inches and chose First Class package.

The limits for retail postage at the PO counter are different: The weight limit is 13 ounces but the size limit is a length-plus-girth of 108 inches.  So you might be able to save money by trekking to the PO rather than upgrading to Priority Mail.  Or can you repackage the item down to 22 inches?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

use pirate ship to print.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@snewark wrote:

use pirate ship to print.

@local         /\ /\ /\  This!  /\ /\ /\

My advice is that as a seller you need several tools to survive.  We see these threads all of the time - "Oh No! eBay labels is down what do I do? "   "I Can't ship because I can't get eBay labels to print!"

Why would you lock yourself into ONE way of operating and not have a back-up or contingency plan?

The best contingency Plan is PirateShip.com.  Fun & easy to use interface.  If you spend some time there you will eventually learn some ways to get even lower rates than eBay labels provide.  So there can be a cost advantage.  Also if you set it up right your eBay sales will transfer to PS AND when you buy a label the tracking number automagically upload to your sales record in eBay.

So why haven't you signed up for PirateShip? 1) At least it is a contingency when eBay labels goes wonky, 2) Potential savings and 3) little to no extra work as tracking is uploaded to sales record.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply