cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS send back to me, wrong postage help?

Hello, i am a seller, just recent sold a plushie i package it came out to 15oz printed the label it cost me $5.53 first class with 40% off ebay, drop it off at USPS (did not go to the teller) 5 days later it gets return to me. During those 5 days no updates on the tracking when it got back to me the tracking read "because it could not be delivered as addressed." the package had a purple sticker "label 424" and other sticker white with red stamp postage $8.95. Just want to know where did the problem come from me or the buyer? Is USPS saying they want $8.95 for the package? how when ebay charge me $5 something , 40% off from $ 8.95 is $5 something or the seller had a bad address? i contact the seller and he asked me was i gonna reship it or ask for a refund i told him ill reship but you have to repay for the shipping again ( no answer yet i live in the east his from the west) if i reship how do i do it without having this problem again

thank you

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Did you cover up the bar code with tape by chance? 
Call your postoffice and ask about the code on the package and price. 
Also ask them to see what their system shows on the address. 

If buyer paid by paypal, verify if address matches. Contact buyer to verify and explain that package was returned. You will need to cancel the sale due to address issues and refund buyer (less shipping if paid shipping). Explain to buyer you will relist and if he wants to repurchase he will need to have corrected address in paypal and on purchase. 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@junpe-20 wrote:

Hello, i am a seller, just recent sold a plushie i package it came out to 15oz printed the label it cost me $5.53 first class with 40% off ebay, drop it off at USPS (did not go to the teller) 5 days later it gets return to me. During those 5 days no updates on the tracking when it got back to me the tracking read "because it could not be delivered as addressed." the package had a purple sticker "label 424" and other sticker white with red stamp postage $8.95. Just want to know where did the problem come from me or the buyer? Is USPS saying they want $8.95 for the package?

This tells me that someone at your local post office has rejected your package either because (a) it weighs more than 16 ounces and is ineligible for First Class Package service, or (b) they mistakenly think that a first class package cannot be shipped with a weight between 13 and 16 ounces ... there are some postal workers that don't understand commercial shipments.

Remove the two stickers and take it back and go to the counter ... if it weighs under 16 ounces, it will be accepted for shipment with the original label.  If it weights more than 16 ounces, then you need to pay proper postage ($8.95 at the counter, or a purchase a new label here on eBay).

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@junpe-20 wrote:

Hello, i am a seller, just recent sold a plushie

What's the size of your package @junpe-20 length, width, height?

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

10 1/2 x 8 x 5 15.25 oz
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

is the label already used? when i check the track it says this "Your item was returned to the sender on July 1, 2019 at 12:18 pm in (my city and zip) because it could not be delivered as addressed." they place the label 424 sticker on the buyer address. my scale reads it as 15.20 oz
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

i did not cover the barcode i tape around the barcode, his address matches the ebay and paypal address
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Can you post a photo of your whole package here @junpe-20 but blank out the names, etc.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

8829283D-584E-4F9F-B714-118C57AA67BA.jpeg

@remispe_54 they put that sticker over his address. I still don’t know if the problem came from me or him

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@lja440 

@muttlymob 

@skeetshooter251 

Ideas?

Not PME

Not 1 pound

Not 12 x 12 x 12

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

The label that I see on there looks to have a printer error ... if so, they may have rejected your package because of the printing error.

But, if that's simply the photograph playing tricks:

(1) You take it to the local post office.

(2) You get them to agree that someone at the post office made a mistake in returning the package.

(3) You have the post office give you a new postage label for no charge.

I've had multiple packages where the post office made a return to sender mistake ... I always get them to issue me no postage at no charge.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Yep, that label has a broken 2D Datamatrix barcode (upper right) and would not be scannable for postage paid and other info.

The broken tracking barcode is probably readable because it is 1D and simply shifted vertically - as long as the bar separation and widths are correct and some minimum vertical height across is maintained (like 1/4" of bars in a straight line across?) should be ok.

Printing failure at work here.
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@remispe_54 wrote:

@lja440 

@muttlymob 

@skeetshooter251 

Ideas?

Not PME

Not 1 pound

Not 12 x 12 x 12

I'm going to make a few guesses, mostly what has already been suggested - it may be printer error.  If it's not printer error and that is just a photo quirk resulting in the offset we see in the picture, then I would guess at these possibilities:

1)  a clerk doesn't understand that online postage first class goes up to 15.9999 ounces.  And is charging priority rate postage due.

2) the OP's scale may be off and it really is over 1 pound. 

3)  the clerk who marked that package up used a bad scale and it really is under 1 pound.

If the label itself is bad then it cannot be voided - it is used - since the OP states something shows up in the tracking for that number.  It has been scanned into the system.  The OP will need to pay for and print a new label since it was his printer problem.

If the label is not bad - if that's just the photo making it look bad - then follow orangehound's instructions to get the PO to resend it with the current, already paid label if indeed it was their error.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@junpe-20 wrote:
10 1/2 x 8 x 5 15.25 oz

@junpe-20 

If you put the weight at 15 oz and it weighed 15.25, you would have had to click on 16 oz, which would read 15.9 on the label.

You always have to round up to the next highest weight.

In this case, the mistake was yours for not putting the proper weight on the pkg, so you need to re-purchase a new label.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@junpe-20 wrote:
10 1/2 x 8 x 5 15.25 oz

@junpe-20 

If you put the weight at 15 oz and it weighed 15.25, you would have had to click on 16 oz, which would read 15.9 on the label.

You always have to round up to the next highest weight.

In this case, the mistake was yours for not putting the proper weight on the pkg, so you need to re-purchase a new label.

The difference between 15 and 15.9 ounces would not come anywhere near the marked postage due of $8.95.  And that kind of error should get caught by the APV and automatically charged back to the OP's account.  For that matter, if the package actually weighed over 1 pound it should have been caught by the APV and a correction charged to the OP, rather than being returned to sender or sent on postage due.

This appears to either be wonky label or messed up employee who overcharged.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply