cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS lost package Insurance claim help

9400108205498579088799 shipped 1/24 last scan 1/28  when I go to make a lost mail inquiry I get the following:

your mailpiece is currently traveling within the Postal network.

This tracking number is not yet eligible for an inquiry. Your package is moving within the USPS network and is currently in transit to the next facility. Once a new tracking status occurs or if there is no change by 1/29/2024, you will be eligible to submit a service request.

any suggestions?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I do believe that the USPS does not consider an item lost until 30 days have elapsed. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Call USPS and open a missing mail research case. That can sometimes get it moving again 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It might not have gotten scanned as "delivered"...whereas the buyer might have received it already.

I have quite a few not scanned as "delivered" going back to March 2023. LOL.

I never contact the buyer. I let them contact me first. None have so I guess all got their packages. I have gotten a few positive feedbacks already from buyers...even though "transit to the next facility" is showing on these tracking of packages.

I don't use eBay shipping labels so my situation could be different from yours if you use eBay shipping services.

I use USPS tracking...priority mail...certified mail...registered mail...and I have open trackings on these going back a year...some stating not "delivered.

Sometimes, it comes down to...is the buyer going to be honest...and not say where is my item.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

It might not have gotten scanned as "delivered"...whereas the buyer might have received it already.

I have quite a few not scanned as "delivered" going back to March 2023. LOL.

I never contact the buyer. I let them contact me first. None have so I guess all got their packages. I have gotten a few positive feedbacks already from buyers...even though "transit to the next facility" is showing on these tracking of packages.

I don't use eBay shipping labels so my situation could be different from yours if you use eBay shipping services.

I use USPS tracking...priority mail...certified mail...registered mail...and I have open trackings on these going back a year...some stating not "delivered.

Sometimes, it comes down to...is the buyer going to be honest...and not say where is my item.

Good luck.

buyer opened a case and I refunded them weeks ago. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Following is the timeline for submitting claims to USPS depending on the class of postage used. Those times are as of the last scan. 

time.jpg

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I'd abandon the inquiry strategy and just go straight to filing an insurance claim.

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If it didn't get scanned as "delivered" to this day.  

It may never get scanned as "delivered".

This is a question I asked an eBay employee when they did a monthly question and answer forum last month.

The respond I got was to maybe use another form of shipping. Its the USPS.

I have still one opened from March 2023....and heck how I have still opened.

Again...it whether buyer is honest or....

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If it didn't get scanned as "delivered" to this day.  

It may never get scanned as "delivered".

This is a question I asked an eBay employee when they did a monthly question and answer forum last month.

The respond I got was to maybe use another form of shipping. Its the USPS.

I have still one opened from March 2023....and heck how I have still opened.

Again...it whether buyer is honest or....

What exactly do you have "opened" from March 2023? I have filed 3 lost mail insurance claims with USPS in the last 6 months. All were reviewed but USPS, approved and the checks from USPS arrived within 2-3 weeks of filing the claim. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Following is the timeline for submitting claims to USPS depending on the class of postage used. Those times are as of the last scan. 

Check the chart again.  It says "When to file  (from mailing date)."

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

This tracking number is not yet eligible for an inquiry. Your package is moving within the USPS network and is currently in transit to the next facility. Once a new tracking status occurs or if there is no change by 1/29/2024, you will be eligible to submit a service request. 

I too didn't read your original post @bashort but agree with the consuela, call USPS now and ask questions later.

Or since it's been over a month since you were mailed, I waited for my postmaster Jerry and she filed the insurance claim for me at the post office.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

RR822060569US    USPS    Date. 2/21/2023 Have to type in the date...LOL

7021 0350 0000 7630 USPS  I got positive feedback from this.

I have more if you need to look. LOL.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

USPS.   7021 0350 0000 7629 9296.

Another one bits the dust.....

Message 14 of 14
latest reply