cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Media mail has gone up $.30 as of today??

USPS Media mail has gone up $.30 as of today per package up to 1 lb. Has anyone else experienced this? I looked for an eBay announcement in regards to this but found nothing!! 

Is it an eBay increase or USPS increase?? Usually eBay will post an announcement before a shipping increase happens. 

Thanks for any replies. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Yes, new USPS rates went into effect for First Class letters and flats,  and Media Mail. I don't know why eBay didn't announce it along with their announcement of the 2-cent increase in the special rate for "standard" envelopes..

Here are the old and new rates.  

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.14.28 PM.png

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Yes, eBay should have included that in the announcement for the special rate for "standard" envelopes!!!

A 30 cents plus increase is enough to need to raise our selling prices so yes, they definitely should have forewarned us!

Thanks for the reply and the new rates. Appreciate it.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

This is my first time selling a book and I paid 2.89 on Thurdsay, but printed it today and realized that in the box under the barcode it says 3.19.

I contacted ebay support and they said it's a discount we get, but I never have seen it before, so should I void and buy another label just in case or can I ship it as it is. Becaus the label says cost is 3.19, but I paid 2.89, help please

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@poroscarodr 

Your label will be 'grandfathered in'. No need to void the label... it will still work for you. Yippee!

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@poroscarodr wrote:

This is my first time selling a book and I paid 2.89 on Thurdsay, but printed it today and realized that in the box under the barcode it says 3.19.

I contacted ebay support and they said it's a discount we get, but I never have seen it before, so should I void and buy another label just in case or can I ship it as it is. Becaus the label says cost is 3.19, but I paid 2.89, help please

eBay shipping labels do not get a discount on Media Mail postage.

And as noted above you can just use the label to ship tomorrow, you will not be penalized.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I've printed 2 media mail labels today expecting $2.89. I switched the weight by one ounce and let it refresh, still says 3.19. I kept messing with the numbers and letting it refresh and it came up with $2.89 again. Obviously an exploitable glitch, but I was only charged $2.89 when I got it to read at that price. I assumed something was wrong on eBay's end. If the prices actually increased at USPS this is the first I've heard of it!

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Yup, increase went into effect today though not announced by eBay (@#$%^#@). See other threads for details. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Also might want to check that your "shipping rule" is being followed. Mine is actual cost +.50 to cover cost of shipping supplies (bubble mailer, etc.). And when this change took effect, my "rule" was not followed. My buyer was charged the actual cost only. Not a HUGE deal but if you are a high-volume seller, I'm sure it would make a difference.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Can those of you who ship Media Mail confirm the price increase only took effect for labels printed on/after 8/29?

Sellers who use Standard Envelope reported that despite the announcement saying it would be effective 8/29, eBay started charging the higher price for items shipped 8/28 as well.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/eBay-Standard-Envelope-Price-Increase-Taking-Effect-Early/td-... 

@wastingtime101  was wondering in that thread if they handled the Media Mail increase the same or if it was exclusive to Standard Envelope.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

It's USPS.  I went to the site and the cost now for media mail is $3.19 and up.  It's very disappointing the EBAY had no clue about it.  I told the chat rep need to send a announcement  because I have talked to them 3 times when my husband told me to check USPS site myself and it was there.  This is really bad business not to give us a few months notice like they normally do.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Same here.  I double checked and got the same info.  EBAY chat reps are clueless of what was going on.  Instead of trying to figure it out was going on wanted to credit me.   I was going say ok then when I checked on USPS site and seen the increase.  I told the last rep when I found it that I am very disappointed they did not let us know.  I have some items that I could break even or loss money with the increase.  If they let us know a couple of months in advance I would have already made sure my prices were good with the increase.  

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

USPS has gone up to $3.19 and up on their site so unfortunately USPS went up on media mail but EBAY never announced it.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I was also in shock of the price increase.  I chatted with EBAY 3 times before my husband told me to check USPS site.  The EBAY reps should know what is going on but seems they never do.  It showed medai mail $3.19 and up.  Thanks EBAY for letting us sellers know.   Normally seems we get a couple of months notice.  A FYI would have been nice to confirm if some items are still worth selling.  This is very disappointing.  

We the sellers should not have to try to figure out why EBAY changes something.  

FYI if you have something 4 oz or less may try 1st class right now.   Mine are from 3 cents to 15 cents depending on location today.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I just spoke with an eBay rep and as a Top Rated Seller we are suppose to be getting a shipping discount and apparently that is not happening right now with the Media Mail increase, as like some of you have stated, that is the exact amount that USPS is charging on their website. I also checked USPS before I called.

The rep turned in a request for me for in regards to this issue and eBay is suppose to get back to me within the next week. Keep your fingers X on that one! LOL.......She also stated that there should have been an announcement regarding the increase.

Hopefully if it is a glitch and enough of us call and complain it will get fixed and if it is not a glitch and you are a Top Rated Seller you need to call and complain that you are not getting your shipping discount. 

You all have a Great Day!!

Message 15 of 32
latest reply