cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS shipping question

I sold an item, weighed it, and purchased a label from ebay. It was like $12 for a 2 and 1/2 lb package. 

But when I dropped it off at the UPS store, the employee weighed it again and left the previous customer's package on the scale.  I didn't realize at the time until I got home.

They gave me a 'UPS package receipt' showing my item weighed 6 and 1/2 pounds. 

Do you think I'm going to get charged more than the $12 shipping I already paid? Or will the package get weighed again and the mistake correct itself?

Anyone know how this would work out? Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

UPS shipping question

I suspect no one knows for sure, but I find a few things odd....

1. My UPS Store stop weighing prepaid parcels over 3 months ago...they said that's the way they are doing incoming prepaid now? (and, as my next point outlines) I noticed right then and there at the counter when I looked at the receipt........

2. How in the world did you know there was a previous customers package still on the scale when you got home... (or is that an assumption?) would you not have noticed when your parcel was placed on the scale..

bottom line, I think you will be ok because from what I have been told, it is reviewed/calculated at the distribution centers and not the satellite stores (due to carriers picking up parcels in their trucks)

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

UPS shipping question

When I saw the receipt at home I remembered that they left the other persons package on the scale too. It just didn't click until I looked at the weight when I got home.

I was like 6 pounds!?!  Ah crap lol. 

Anyway hopefully it'll get weighed again somewhere along the shipping process and I won't get overcharged.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

UPS shipping question

UPS packages, unlike FedEx ones, generally do not get weighed as they travel to other sorting centers. 

While most shipping stores do not weight, usually official UPS stores, and definitely UPS distribution center drops offs are weighed.   So was it a shipping store or an official UPS store?  If the latter and they weighed it, they are suppose to check it against your label and tell you when there is a discrepancy. 

I would guess this new weight has now become attached to the transaction, unless you should happen to get a rare reweigh later.  So don't be surprised when you see a higher charge.  I would talk to someone at the UPS store about what happened, they would be at least able to find out for sure what will happen and maybe have it corrected.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply