cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping estimate for Global Shipping Program?

How can I evaluate costs of the Global Shipping Program?

I tried the eBay shipping calculator, and it doesn't even list GSP as an option. (I'm referring to the stand-alone shipping calculator, not the one on the shipping page, which I wouldn't expect to list Global Shipping Program unless it's enabled in my profile.)

I'm considering using GSP for shipments to countries where DELCON International isn't available. I want to research it thoroughly before I enable it, since eBay makes it hard to use the program at all without it getting in the way where I don't want it.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Shipping estimate for Global Shipping Program?

I understand what he is asking and i to am looking for this info, i have a 24x24x24 inch box of rare type of foam and they are asking me how much it will cost to ship, and we have no way of dealing with this inquiry. even if i said an estimate + vat, the customer would have a better understanding of the charges. But the best i can do is say i have no clue, and thats just not good enough to go to my customer with, think combined shipping on items. sure 1 item and they can look, but not on a few at one time in the same box. my responsibility as a seller is to get the best answer i can to see if they even want to bother. is there savings at all? do they add a premium fee, what about my large sized box, does that change the cost? all stuff we as sellers should be able to provide.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@danmcntyr2 wrote:

You do not need to  estimate the fees that buyers will have to pay if I use GSP  ebay does this and shows the buyer , as others have tried to tell you just set up the sale as you normaly would and your portion of the shipping will be to KY, you will not see or need to see the shipping and fees to the buyer , ebay shows this to them .

Unfortunately you have missed the point of how to respond to a potential international buyer who is interested in the cost they will need to pay if they bid on an item.  Most sellers do understand that they won't have to pay the cost or even determine what the buyers cost is after the fact.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@laurrees_0 wrote:

@danmcntyr2 wrote:

You do not need to  estimate the fees that buyers will have to pay if I use GSP  ebay does this and shows the buyer , as others have tried to tell you just set up the sale as you normaly would and your portion of the shipping will be to KY, you will not see or need to see the shipping and fees to the buyer , ebay shows this to them .

Unfortunately you have missed the point of how to respond to a potential international buyer who is interested in the cost they will need to pay if they bid on an item.  Most sellers do understand that they won't have to pay the cost or even determine what the buyers cost is after the fact.

That's not why the OP was asking (when they posted 9 months ago). They were trying to determine if GSP shipping costs would make their items non-competitive. Your issue (how to respond to a potential buyer) was clearly answered by the person you claim had missed the point. The GSP shipping cost that will be incurred by a particular buyer is shown to that buyer on the listing page; there is no need for the seller to look up that info AFTER they've listed the item under GSP.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

To sell successfully, one must be competitive. If my shipping terms are going to raise the buyer's total expense substantially, that becomes impossible. If I can't even tell it's happening, I have lost control of my business completely.

I've made this very clear, and I don't see how you could fail to understand it except by a willful act.

Please, let's drop this topic. It has been clear to me for a long time now that GSP is incompatible with my way of doing business -- with my conception of what it means to do business -- and nothing is going to change that.
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

My condolences. I too want to just be able to answer a customer's question estimating what several items might cost them to be shipped to Hong Kong if I use Global Shipping. Amazing enough we can get a simple answer from the USPS but GSP seems to have some reason for keeping this a secret from us. Right now it is preventing a $350 sale. Sad, just sad.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Not being impolite, but go ahead and try and give an estimate of what their shipping costs will be if you assemble a package of items they wish to purchase but has not been listed yet. Huge difference between 7 separate international packages and one mid-size box.
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Frankly, I have found most of the "helpful" responses to have been off target, failing to really answer the question.  It is the same question I have.  Yesterday, a potential buyer in Thailand asked me how much it would cost to ship my product there.  Real response?  I don't know, because there is no way for me to find out.  An international buyer may or may not be able to see shipping cost BEFORE buying.  The best I could do was to tell the person that if I shipped via USPS myself, something eBay makes difficult, it would cost about $US 75 according to the USPS shipping calculator.

To put it differently, eBay is not helping its sellers very well in selling internationally.  Instead, eBay needs to provide sellers with a way to see eBay's own international shipping costs.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@ben_myers wrote:

Frankly, I have found most of the "helpful" responses to have been off target, failing to really answer the question.  It is the same question I have.  Yesterday, a potential buyer in Thailand asked me how much it would cost to ship my product there.  Real response?  I don't know, because there is no way for me to find out.  An international buyer may or may not be able to see shipping cost BEFORE buying.  The best I could do was to tell the person that if I shipped via USPS myself, something eBay makes difficult, it would cost about $US 75 according to the USPS shipping calculator.

To put it differently, eBay is not helping its sellers very well in selling internationally.  Instead, eBay needs to provide sellers with a way to see eBay's own international shipping costs.

If you have gsp on the listing the shipping cost will show to the buyer.  If it doesn’t then it’s not a location gsp ships to

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Your listings are set up so that buyers will have their items sent through ebays global shipping program. It doesn’t look as if the gsp will ship your items to Thailand    otherwise the buyer would already see a shipping cost.

If you want to ship directly to the buyer yourself you can look up the cost on the usps website or set up your listings so that non gsp buyers will see your ‘direct’ shipping cost.   If you are not interested in shipping directly to international buyers that can’t use the gsp then you can block them so that they can’t see your listings.  To block them go here

and under buyer requirements check off that you want to block buyers with a primary address in a country that you don’t ship to. 

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@ben_myers  , if you ditch GSP & ship it yourself, it’s easy to figure out what it will cost. What are the dimensions & weight of the package & value of the item? Packages under 4 lbs, with a maximum 36” length + weight + height can ship USPS First Class International Package. Sign up for Pirate Ship, then use Pirate Ship chat & request to be added to the Simple Export Rate. FYI, with this rate, it’s only $23.95 to ship a qualifying 3-lb package to Thailand. Tracking is provided. Import fees, if required, are collected at delivery. Items below a certain value will not incur import fees. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Date: 09-17-2017 06:32:44 AM

Hi alan@ebay aren't you still locking those old threads over there on your backend?

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

That's all well and good, but for MY OWN information, I'd like to know what it costs via GSP.   Then I know the bottom line of what it costs the buyer, namely sale price + shipping.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@ben_myers wrote:

That's all well and good, but for MY OWN information, I'd like to know what it costs via GSP.   Then I know the bottom line of what it costs the buyer, namely sale price + shipping.

Well you said it was because a buyer asked.  So I answered responding to that.   The buyer can see it on the shipping tab.  If you want to know you can go to the listing looking on the shipping t tab put in the buyers location and it will show the cost so you can see it as well.  If it doesn’t show a price then shipping to the location through gsp isn’t available 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 28 of 28
latest reply