cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Service Kiosk at USPS

So I'm at my local USPS today standing in line to get my packages scanned and get a receipt of USPS "In Possession"  when for the second time the postal worker trying to thin the line out saw me and knew what I was there for, tells (yells) that I can use the KIOSK and I say no thank you sir, I will wait in line. 

He asked me when I was at the counter why and I said because I want a receipt and my packages scanned into the system as USPS accepted and the KIOSK is not that just a preliminary step until it is scanned by postal worker later and he stated I was wrong. 

Ok if this magical KIOSK can do this what would stop anyone from scanning package at KIOSK and not leaving the package(s)   in the drop Shute? 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

No I mean I bought label through eBay and printed at home

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 

And FedEx now has First Class shipping rates????? 

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

I will try with a package I send to family or friend (not eBay purchase) first to give it a try and see how it goes. 

Thanks for the input

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Printing postage at home, which many of us do, would not give you the acceptance scan at the post office when you hand the package to the counter person, which is what the question is asking. Even manually entering the tracking code does not give an acceptance scan, just show the package information has been sent/received by the shipper. The shipper does not have the item in hand till they scan it.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

Next time I am at the PO I will have to take a closer look at the "NEW" setup to see if there is a scanner. Just dropping in the shoot, because of it's round shape and the fact that I could put in upside down, no don't see that happening. I know the package I shipped yesterday got scanned after I dropped it off. If I have to use the screen to manually input the tracking number(s) etc on a pre-paided package, don't see that as being faster, esp if I have several packages to ship. But will keep an open mind on it. With the very low number of missed receiving scans just dropping the packages off that I have had, not really worried about it.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

Also, I've had a couple of packages that were charged as not enough postage. If I had NOT had the USPS scanned receipt, showing weight and cost, I would have lost my case with USPS and that money.

I ALWAYS get a receipt - no matter the cost of what is being shipped.

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

I will try with a package I send to family or friend (not eBay purchase) first to give it a try and see how it goes. 

Thanks for the input

Yeah, I used to stand in line to get my packages scanned to make sure there’s an acceptance scan but when the pandemic started, the postal clerks at my downtown main PO hub told me to use the kiosk.

I was reticent because I was worried about not getting an acceptance scan. I ask them but they didn’t give me an answer and walked me over to the kiosk to proceed to show me how to scan my packages in, and I elected for a printed receipt and one was spit out from the machine. Then went and put the packages in their big prepaid cart bins.

I figured I’ll see what happens.

Lo and behold, there was an acceptance scan record the next day with expected delivery date. Been scanning my packages at kiosk ever since, fast and quick. Even fun to do. 😀

Except for international first class parcels, those you have to stand in line to scan and hand over.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

@glyph01 

Sounds great, I will have to investigate more and try 

The PO in my town and the town I work in have the KIOSK's  

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

Just a follow-up. Our little post office doesn't have a kiosk. It's either drop it off and hope it gets a scan or wait in line. I'll wait - at a distance, of course. 😷

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

@glyph01 

Sounds great, I will have to investigate more and try 

The PO in my town and the town I work in have the KIOSK's  

Cool, you’re in luck. I reckon one can also scan a multiple-package scan sheet at the kiosk, if you’re using one. I see people with huge bags of packages/padded envelopes scanning in each package individually and I’m in line at the kiosk thinking, “Really?!” lol

The act of scanning your pre-paid packages or scan sheet at the kiosk gives you your official acceptance scan besides the initial “label info sent” transaction record in the tracking history. The clerks don’t need to scan it again as accepted, we’re essentially doing that part of their job for them, until the mail piece gets to the next sort facility in transit to get scanned with an updated status, including delivery status upon delivery, as usual. 

It gives the acceptance date, the date the package was scanned so when you track the parcel the next day, after waiting overnight, it will give the acceptance scan date of yesterday which is helpful for time sensitive shipments and tracking of your handling times.

First class parcel, media mail can be scanned too!

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

Another exception to the APC scanning center is Signature Required packages. I was dropping off packages early one morning and one of the clerks popped out to clean out the box from the night before. This was the same guy who has goaded me in the past to use the APC and on occasion has refused to scan packages at the counter. Thankfully he was standing right there when it would not accept the Signature Required package.  He admitted he did not know that SR could not be accepted at the APC. He offered to take the package for me anyway but since he didn't have his scanner on him I elected to come back during my lunch hour. It was a $1,500 package- not taking any chances with that!

-C

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

OK replying to my original post with an update in case anyone else is wondering about the USPS SSK (Self Service Kiosk) 

I went ahead and tried with a package this morning, prepaid First Class 

Went to Kiosk this morning and selected other on the Kiosk menu, selected prepaid postage, weighed on scale,  scanned barcode and Kiosk did state that package  must be put in package Bin for final acceptance, Printed receipt at Kiosk.

Checked the USPS Tracking online about half hour later and it stated "USPS expects item for mailing (SSK)"

Went and checked the tracking through eBay and it stated "USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM"

The receipt I got from the Kiosk is basically the same as I always get from going to the counter and getting package scanned, show tracking and destination BUT also states acceptance date (does not state preliminary acceptance or wording like that) 

Hope this answers questions for others wondering about the Kiosk at USPS 

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

At my small PO, I waited in line to have my packages scanned. When I finally got to the clerk, he saw the pre-paid labels and said I could leave them in the "Leave Pre-Paid packages" container in the lobby. Yeah right. Sometimes I have to ring a bell for a clerk to come out. Anybody could walk into the lobby and take these pre-paid packages in the container and walk out. I prefer to have them scanned at the counter. I'll wait.

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

Smart Post is cheaper but you cannot get insurance. If it gets lost you are out of luck

@postingid7659 wrote:

FedEx Smartpost has never came up cheaper than straight up FedEx Home Delivery.  

It's only good for large outfits with a contract to use it.  

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

It is absolutely critical to scan each and every package. If it wasn't scanned then you didn't ship it. 

If the post office scans it and then loses it, you can ask your customer to please be patient and file a trace with USPS and 99% of the time it will show up.

You can have a top rated powerseller account with perfect feedback and thousands of transactions. Drop 10 packages in that box without scanning, if they don't scan you will lose it all. Feedback destroyed, lose the items, lose the money, lose top rated seller status and perhaps even get your account restricted..

If you drop a package in the box on Saturday and it doesn't scan by Wednesday in the customers eyes you stole their money and are making up excuses. 

Message 30 of 42
latest reply