cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Mail Forward Service

I recently sold a item for $500.00, I stated I did not want to ship internationally, due to increased risk. A person with a Florida address purchased the item, and three weeks later he's claiming I sent him not what he ordered but instead I sent him trash. Customer is alledging I scammed him in this manner. After investigating the person, I found the address I sent his item to was a shipping forward company, and once they received the item they repackaged and sent his item to Germany. 

My question, beings he did not send the item to himself but another company how can he alledge I scammed him, and beings I stated I was not allowing international shipping and he bypassed this with the 3rd party service, should I still be held liable? The company he sent it too has several bad reviews with some alledging they steal from their customers.

Im thinking the case should be closed in my favor due to the fact he sent it to someone who sent it to him, and how can I be held liable when I wasn't the last peeps know whom handled this item but another company actually repackaged this iten and sent it to him. 

The tracking number I provided doesn't track his item to Germany because the company purchases another label and ships it to him. "I originally had no idea this was happening, but thought where I was sending it was going to be him. 

His account is registered in Germany and the address he provided is to a company not in his name or affiliated with, but a company that states what they do on their website "Forward Packages"

This guy rubs me as a person who has done this before but I'm not sure if he or the company he had me send it to got him. 

So am I liable for the package being shipped to him from the Florida address or does my liability simply end where I had originally sent it too? Ebay wasn't the one who seen that the address was to this company but I plan on making them aware of this. How do you think this one will go, or am I'm just screwed out of $500? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since the forwarding service is the ship-to address given you in the transaction information, eBay's Money Back Guarantee does not extent past the point at which the package arrived safely at the forwarding service. If the forwarding service did in fact rip off your buyer, that is not eBay's concern.

Likewise, PayPal covers you against Item Not Received because you presumably have tracking information proving that it was delivered to the proper ship-to address, i.e., the forwarding service. It is my understanding that a Significantly Not As Described dispute through PayPal is still possible, but the buyer would be on the hook for shipping the item back to you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Since the forwarding service is the ship-to address given you in the transaction information, eBay's Money Back Guarantee does not extent past the point at which the package arrived safely at the forwarding service. If the forwarding service did in fact rip off your buyer, that is not eBay's concern.

Likewise, PayPal covers you against Item Not Received because you presumably have tracking information proving that it was delivered to the proper ship-to address, i.e., the forwarding service. It is my understanding that a Significantly Not As Described dispute through PayPal is still possible, but the buyer would be on the hook for shipping the item back to you.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I would have No way to have them to confirm with eBay what they received, what would be a good way to prove what I've found? 

I found the guy on Facebook and I'm %100 he's still in Germany, but how do I confirm that he didn't receive the item in Florida but they forwarded his item from there? 

Ive contacted the company, and asked for them to contact me but I'm still unsure how to relay what they say in a fashion in which can be verified even if they tell me which way it went. 

Such a nasty situation and in the future I believe I will  check the addresses and make sure they aren't going to a company in which offers this service because this could of potentially a huge loss if I hadn't discovered this and it still may be..  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Done

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

All you have to do, if he opens an SNAD request with eBay—and it sounds like he did— is call and tell them that he’s registered in Germany and used a Florida-based freight forwarder. And recite the clause in the MBG that says items forwarded after delivery are not covered and ask them to close the request in your favor.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If he does get a return, the label will be USPS from florida & he can’t return it from Florida so I wouldn’t worry too much. Just make sure eBay doesn’t refund for you.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You will probably get a false negative just because you didn't fall for their scam.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply