cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retail postage vs mailing label

Because I do not have the ability to print shipping labels at home - I have a printer but not the space to install it - I have been going to a USPS Self Service Kiosk to print them.

Since postage is considerably cheaper when printing eBay shipping labels I figure I'm wasting my time going to a kiosk without the cost savings I would get with an eBay label.

If I just mail it at my local post office addressed without a label, is the postage the same as the kiosk postage or is it different?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Retail postage vs mailing label

Yes. The kiosks would be giving you the same retail rates as at the counter or if using USPS.com Click n Ship.

To get Commercial Base rates (discounted relative to retail rates) you have to use eBay labels, PayPal labels, Stamps.com, Endicia, Amazon shipping (for Amazon sales), Pirateship.com, or some other online PC Postage provider.

Maybe you could use the printer on an "as needed" basis. Get a long enough USB or parallel cable (depending on how old the printer is) to reach from behind the PC, drag the printer out from the closet or corner, plug it in, and print labels when you need to then stick it back in the closet sort of routine. Less time than going to the PO and cheaper.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ebay labels are also nicer than having the package addressed without a label because ebay's label automatically comes with a tracking # and it automatically uploads it to your customer - no having to type that 15-million digit tracking number manually - ebay does it for you - YAY!

And berserkerplanet is also on the money when he says it's cheaper than USPS standard rates too.     😃

Time to bust out that printer! Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@foxidation wrote:

Because I do not have the ability to print shipping labels at home - I have a printer but not the space to install it

I don't mean to sound doubtful, but are you sure? In particular, some newer printers can be connected by WiFi to your computer, and don't require a physical cable at all. There may also be a way to plug the printer's USB cable into your cable box or switch instead of into your computer, using your home network to send printouts to it. This gives you the freedom to plant your printer in pretty much any place at all.

If you can post your brand and model of printer, we can probably be more specific about what your options are.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@foxidation wrote:

Because I do not have the ability to print shipping labels at home - I have a printer but not the space to install it

I don't mean to sound doubtful, but are you sure? In particular, some newer printers can be connected by WiFi to your computer, and don't require a physical cable at all. There may also be a way to plug the printer's USB cable into your cable box or switch instead of into your computer, using your home network to send printouts to it. This gives you the freedom to plant your printer in pretty much any place at all.

If you can post your brand and model of printer, we can probably be more specific about what your options are.

Just to add to this .. even if the router/modem does not have a USB port (most newer ones do), you can buy an inexpensive USB hub ... they make both wireless ones and Ethernet connected ones.

Attach the hub to the router (cabled or WiFi) and attach the printer to the hub. Obviously wireless ones can go anywhere that your WiFi signal reaches ... Ethernet would have to be close to the router.

Any older printer can be made a "network printer" via USB on the router or a hub

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@foxidation wrote:

I don't mean to sound doubtful, but are you sure? In particular, some newer printers can be connected by WiFi to your computer, and don't require a physical cable at all. 

And if physical space is an issue, some label printers, such as the Dymo ones, are quite small.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply