cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about shipping labels?

Hi

I am really getting serious about starting a business on eBay.

I want to sell items but I want the buyers to pay for shipping...all of the shipping costs?

I was reading online that I would have to pay for the shipping labels on eBay and I really do not want to do that.

Is there anyway that I could print the shipping labels for free?   Is there a separate site that I could print the labels for free on?

If I do have to pay for the labels on eBay, are they outrageously expensive?  

If I am paying for a shipping label on eBay, doesn't that mean I am practically paying for the shipping?

I am not too familiar with this eBay stuff. 

I sell on poshmark where the postage is already prepaid and then I go to office depot and have it printed for 15 cents.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You add the shipping price to the listing so your buyer pays.

You then take that money that the buyer paid you and buy the label.

No carrier gives free shipping.

You need to read up on how to list properly with shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/shipping-options.html

Those are your shipping options. 

If you list for free, roll the shipping price into the item price.

If you charge based on a weight/destination base - choose Calculated Shipping and enter the right info.

You can also list as a flat charge - same cost to all buyers.  (First Class & Media Mail charge the same rates based on weight - and not destination.

If you use USPS and buy your labels through eBay, you get Commercial Base pricing.  It is cheaper than buying at the counter.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You add the shipping price to the listing so your buyer pays.

You then take that money that the buyer paid you and buy the label.

No carrier gives free shipping.

You need to read up on how to list properly with shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/shipping-options.html

Those are your shipping options. 

If you list for free, roll the shipping price into the item price.

If you charge based on a weight/destination base - choose Calculated Shipping and enter the right info.

You can also list as a flat charge - same cost to all buyers.  (First Class & Media Mail charge the same rates based on weight - and not destination.

If you use USPS and buy your labels through eBay, you get Commercial Base pricing.  It is cheaper than buying at the counter.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'm very familiar with Poshmark and it's not too different.  You do have more options though for shipping, and cheaper fees.  I suggest you buy a scale, and familiarize yourself with the basic USPS types:

First class

Priority

You will pay the retail price for a little while until you're established, then you will receive discounted rates.  It will be the best for you to ship through ebay.  I sell clothes mostly and you can charge your customers what you see necessary.  So, you can charge $14, with $3.99 shipping for a shirt, or charge $17.99, with, "free" shipping.

POsTiNg Id
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

►You will pay the retail price for a little while until you're established, then you will receive discounted rates.

What? If that is trying to say that only established eBay sellers get online commercial rates through eBay labels , then NO.
All sellers get the same USPS Commercial rates and same FedEx discounted rates - new or old accounts.

Only exception is that TRS and 300+ transaction/month PS get Commercial Plus USPS rates as a perk.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you set your prices right, all buyers always pay all shipping and all other costs and fees on sold items.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

There is no extra fee to actually print a label on ebay, other than paying the postage cost, and you need to work that cost into your pricing for the buyer to pay when you list your item.

I must admit that's the first feedback number like that I've seen in awhile.  That's a problem.  You can't sell an item, and then cancel because you didn't like what it sold for and last very long as a seller. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

I must admit that's the first feedback number like that I've seen in awhile.  That's a problem.  You can't sell an item, and then cancel because you didn't like what it sold for and last very long as a seller. 

Alas, I caused that for one recently.  I bid, I won, I paid.  They never shipped, refunded a few days later, never responded to inquiries. 

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@littleguineapiggywrote:
 ... You will pay the retail price for a little while until you're established, then you will receive discounted rates. ....

All eBay sellers pay the discounted online postage rates from day one for Priority Mail and First Class packages.  The only eBay retail postage price is for Media Mail, which is charged the same for all sellers.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I will suggest that you open a B&M retail environment - no shipping required.  And as stated by another poster, the FB rating is not good and potential buyers will back away.

Good luck to you

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you lintbrush for giving me the right answer.

It seems like everyone else on this thread likes to berate, argue, and not give decent advice.

I asked one question and this whole thread went somewhere else.

Thank you again. 🙂
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@fabdressladywrote:
Thank you lintbrush for giving me the right answer.

It seems like everyone else on this thread likes to berate, argue, and not give decent advice.

I asked one question and this whole thread went somewhere else.

Thank you again. 🙂

It appears to me that you got great advice regarding shipping options.

I see no arguing or berating you.

I do see posters advising you about your account though.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply