cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of Accepted Returns vs Not Accepted

What are the pros and cons of accepting returns and not accepting them? Does having "returns not accepted" really reduce the rate of returns if the buyer isn't satisfied? Does it reduce scamming? (Buyer purposely sends wrong item back and gets a full refund while keeping the item) thanks!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@j02237589 wrote:

I know the buyer can request a refund despite if the seller says they don't and obviously the seller should accept a return. 

I was more concerned with the scammers abusing this to send back wrong items and keep their expensive item and receiving  a full refund. but if they've been doing this for awhile they probably already know that it doesn't matter if the seller accepts returns or not.

That's about it.  Scammers know what they are doing.

I do no returns to hopefully make the buyer think about what they are doing before the purchase to confirm that they want the item as it is described.

Not sure if it helps, or not , but that's the way I have operated for over 19 eBay years.

I don't sell in high scam categories.

I do not "flat out" refuse remorse returns. I try to work with a buyer that is honest, and admits the error.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The con is:

If you refuse to accept a return and it's for a not as described case, ebay will refund with your dime and let the buyer keep it for free.  Buyers can also be "spurred" into filing a false not as described case to return at your expense too. No such thing as no returns when selling here.

The pro is if none of the above happens, you save yourself the cost of a return.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I know the buyer can request a refund despite if the seller says they don't and obviously the seller should accept a return. 

I was more concerned with the scammers abusing this to send back wrong items and keep their expensive item and receiving  a full refund. but if they've been doing this for awhile they probably already know that it doesn't matter if the seller accepts returns or not.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@j02237589 wrote:

That's about it.  Scammers know what they are doing.

I do no returns to hopefully make the buyer think about what they are doing before the purchase to confirm that they want the item as it is described.

Not sure if it helps, or not , but that's the way I have operated for over 19 eBay years.

I don't sell in high scam categories.

I do not "flat out" refuse remorse returns. I try to work with a buyer that is honest, and admits the error.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I had less returns when I did not accept returns. I also had more NAD. Having said that, my margins were significantly better when I did not accept returns. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Refund fraud is a problem in all forms of sales.  Refusing returns here will not prevent that.  Just a cost of doing business here like rent or shoplifting losses in an in person store. . Add some to all your prices to cover it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

When you sell online, there is no such thing as no refunds. A seller can decline a buyer's remorse return on Ebay, so the buyer just goes to their funding source to get a refund.

I offer free thirty day returns and have for the past five years. Before that I had 30 day buyer paid returns.

Free returns means you take returns for any reason, or no reason at all, and you pay for the return.  If someone doesn't want an item, they can send it back on my dime to resell again.  If you don't want it, I don't want you to have it. They don't have to file a false claim to do so. I self-insure so I don't actually suffer any financial loss.  In 17 years I've had two returns.

I guess a lot of it just boils down to what you are selling and who you are selling it to.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have never taken returns on eBay.

Any top rated sellers who have recently switched from No Returns to 30 Day Buyer Pays Return out there?  It seems being able to subtract up to 50% of open or damaged returns would be nice.

Have you seen an increase in sales or an increase in returns?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Two returns in 17 years..... I do not believe that. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

No returns is just silly and all it really means is you don't want your item back when you are forced to refund.

No returns for remorse reasons is begging and pleading someone to do a chargeback.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"It's the cost of doing businuess" is just an excuse for the scammers

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@johnson_junk_company wrote:

Two returns in 17 years..... I do not believe that. 

Why not? I have had 2 return requests in 18 years, and one of them was never returned.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply