cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority Mail error message - minimum size requirements ???

Today I went to ship an item to a customer using Priority Mail. When creating the shipping label on eBay, I got an error message saying that the package didn't meet the minimum size requirements. I've never seen this before. It was a small box (4x4x4 inches) and I ended up shipping First class with insurance. Brought it to the post office & asked person working there if there were new sizes for Priority. He seemed quite confused, and said no you can ship a postcard via Priority if you want to.

Hoping this is just a temporary glitch. Or is it an eBay thing? If so, where can I find the mimimun sizes? I'll need to update my listings (and just to note, I didn't get an error message when listing the item & selecting Priority as the only shipping option)

Thanks for any help you can give 🙂

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This problem has been reported before, also for a box that was specifically 4x4x4.

Priority Mail has a maximum size (length-plus-girth of 108 inches) but no minimum:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097318

Since this is apparently due to the whim of some eBay programmer, rather than to any actual USPS policy, the simple solution is to enter  dimensions that the eBay program will accept.  From the USPS perspective, the exact dimensions of a Priority Mail package don't matter unless it is (1) over 1 cubic foot and going to Zones 5 - 9; or (2) length-plus-girth over 84 inches and going to Zones 1 - 4.  (I never measure my Priority Mail packages unless I think they'll exceed one of those thresholds; I just enter 8x8x8 all the time.)

Isn't it a relief when an eBay programming snafu has a simple workaround!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This problem has been reported before, also for a box that was specifically 4x4x4.

Priority Mail has a maximum size (length-plus-girth of 108 inches) but no minimum:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097318

Since this is apparently due to the whim of some eBay programmer, rather than to any actual USPS policy, the simple solution is to enter  dimensions that the eBay program will accept.  From the USPS perspective, the exact dimensions of a Priority Mail package don't matter unless it is (1) over 1 cubic foot and going to Zones 5 - 9; or (2) length-plus-girth over 84 inches and going to Zones 1 - 4.  (I never measure my Priority Mail packages unless I think they'll exceed one of those thresholds; I just enter 8x8x8 all the time.)

Isn't it a relief when an eBay programming snafu has a simple workaround!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Whenever I have a box that small to ship I always place the box inside a mailing envelope.  I never ran into the dimension glitch, but felt it was safer that way and my label fit better.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Love simple solutions! Thanks so much! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

According to

Sizes for Parcels - Postal Explorer

if a Priority Mail mailpiece is not a letter, postcard or flat, it must be a minimum of 3" x 6" x 0.25".

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Echoing @fern*wood, one of the best shipping tips I've gotten here is regarding the multitude of uses for Padded Flat Rate envelopes when you insert a boxed item. Depending upon the item's weight, it can be the least expensive PM method available. As long as the envelope seals along the designated line, it's fine.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@pilgrimelectronics wrote:

According to

Sizes for Parcels - Postal Explorer

if a Priority Mail mailpiece is not a letter, postcard or flat, it must be a minimum of 3" x 6" x 0.25".

I'm pretty sure those dimensions specifically apply to machinable parcels that get a special commercial bulk discount.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply