cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM (From seller's perspective)

Hi all,

I've tried to research the forum and found many buyers concerned with not receiving an item that shows up as 

"PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM" on the USPS tracking website since February 22. However, as a seller who did his due diligence (printed the label via eBay and dropped off at my local post office) I'm concerned that the buyer has contacted me, letting me know that it's past the estimated delivery date. I had already noticed the tracking wasn't moving so I tried to file a claim online + went to my local post office but both the responses I received sounded like "YEah, COVID + the snow, just wait a little longer." 

I'm not sure how to proceed, as this has never happened to me before, I certainly don't want to receive negative feedback but I also don't want to lose money over this, if possible at all. Of course, the buyer deserves to receive either the package or their money back, but should I refund them right away (what if they do receive the package after all?) or let eBay do their thing? Shouldn't we be both covered by their buyer's protection policy? 

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Did you get scanned at the PO of just drop off? Always get scanned if you can. I had a couple of packages like these during the great 2020 PO meltdown. Had one item I dropped of didn't have scanned wait a week before possession was indicated.

Personally, I would reach out to the buyer and let them know you are working on trying to find out what's going on. Let them know there have been PO issues and ask for some patience. I would also say if it's not there by X date or at least clearly moving via tracking info you will refund. Unless of course it's a time sensitive item. Then I would refund and ask them to return(you'll send a label) if ever arrives.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I try to be understanding about late packages as we all should.  No one can control covid or the weather.

For me, it's the ones marked as mailed one day and then  ten days later add tracking which shows it never once moved.  Those are the ones I have many issues with.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

You are responsible for the shipper: if it was not received by the purchaser you owe them a refund.

eBay will refund for you if you do not and of course charge you for it and you get a strike also.

Note if item is worth it you can try an intercept on the package.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Well, that's harsh and a bit puzzling. I've shipped my item, USPS won't give you a receipt when you drop it off with a pre-paid label. I guess the solution is... not to use eBay's labels in the future? 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Did you get scanned at the PO of just drop off? Always get scanned if you can. I had a couple of packages like these during the great 2020 PO meltdown. Had one item I dropped of didn't have scanned wait a week before possession was indicated.

Personally, I would reach out to the buyer and let them know you are working on trying to find out what's going on. Let them know there have been PO issues and ask for some patience. I would also say if it's not there by X date or at least clearly moving via tracking info you will refund. Unless of course it's a time sensitive item. Then I would refund and ask them to return(you'll send a label) if ever arrives.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Have you filed the missing mail search through USPS website?  It's under the help menu but you do need to register for an account.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I did, but they said got back to me saying that it's too early to do so. I will try again on Monday. Thank you. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You can get a receipt.  Just explain why you need a receipt to the clerk - that works wonders.  My post office knows that I don’t drop items in the bin, and they are fine with it.  Seems like all of us eBay sellers, at my po, do the same thing.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

That sounds reasonable. Thank you. I've tried to get a receipt for my drop-offs in the past but they just... wouldn't? I can try and ask to scan specifically in the future. Thank you.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@deluigi wrote:

Well, that's harsh and a bit puzzling. I've shipped my item, USPS won't give you a receipt when you drop it off with a pre-paid label. I guess the solution is... not to use eBay's labels in the future? 

I get a receipt every time I drop off a package with a prepaid label.

I always get them scanned and a receipt.

If tracking never updates, without that receipt, you have no proof the item was shipped.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I had a package finally delivered today 3-5-21 that had been sent on 2-5-21.

It was sent from my PO with a scan and tracking number. 

I was watching it's movement as I do all of my mailed out items and saw where it was Out for delivery on 2-14-21, after that there was no more scanning for 19 days until they received it today. I , like yourself was going to do a lost package claim and I was not allowed to proceed with that due to them stating that it had not been enough lapsed time, really.

Fortunately for me I had a very patient buyer and she really wanted her item and not a refund because it was a hard to find and rare purchase.

I am just wondering how much longer is the pandemic going to be allowed to be used as a excuse for accountability? Good luck and hopefully your buyer will get their item before you do a refund. It's like a catch 22.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

When you dropped of the package at your PO you should have waited in line and received an ACCEPTANCE scan and a printed receipt.  The acceptance validates that you did in fact give your shipment to the USPS within you stated handling time.  At this point you have nothing to prove you actually handed it over to the USPS.   Your buyer is  fully protected by eBays Money Back Guarantee  all they need to do is opened an Item Not Received case and they will be refunded (out of your account).   USPS  will not refund you for a lost package.

Do not refund your buyer until they open a case just in case the package is delivered.

Sorry for the not so good news.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

My PO always gives me an acceptance scan  receipt whenever I drop off a package with an a preprinted/prepaid shipping label w/o any issue.

If  the  desk clerk told you they can't they are "blowing smoke" - ask for the Post Master the next time you drop off a package and get denied an acceptance scan  for your shipment.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@deluigi 

It sounds like to this chair that the local PO isn't doing their job.  Most sellers stand in line to get their packages scanned and leave with a receipt.  Is it inconvenient, sure.  We do it anyway because it is all part of the game.

However, IF your local clerk isn't scanning packages when presented then that is a problem. At that point one could take some extra effort and see about getting a change.   Here is how I might approach the matter in increasing order.

1.  Nice heart to heart with local Post Master - kindly request clerks scan packages.

2.  File a complaint on employee performance with the USPS Inspector General - now to include local PM

3.  Contact one's representatives to Congress and ask them to intervene with the Local USPS to get packages scanned on presentation.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so start squeaking! 😁

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

My PO will scan pre-paids and the self serve machines have a scan option I believe under other services and you can get a reciept.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply