cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum 1st Class Package Size

Greetings All,

While dropping cards off at the PO I saw a sign that said "minimum" dimension size for 1st Class Package was going to be 6 x 4 x 1/4 inches. Is this a local thing or nationwide?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't use any boxes smaller than 6 x 4 inches because I use 4x6 thermal shipping labels.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I would assume nationwide

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I use 4x4x3 all of the time and also 4 x4 x2.   Most of my sales are loose diecast cars and these are the boxes that I use and never had a problem.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have shipped small boxes before but just tried to get a label for a 5x5x5  box on PirateShip and it wouldn't process...had a red notice that it was too small.
Wondering what will happen if I increase the stated measurement to  6x5x5 and send it anyway,

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

8x6x4 is about my largest first class box. I just put 8x6x4 in all my first class listings for speed since it doesn’t matter. When shipping the box is usually smaller but I leave the 8x6x4 since it doesn’t matter. Haven’t had a problem yet. I have been shipping FC items with one dim of up to 12in but haven’t done that in a while.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Some clerk in a local office might put up a sign I'd suppose. Local or regional fancies vary, but officially it's 3 x 6 x .25" min.

Pretty small.

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Parcels

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@holmaneva-2 

Here's what it says on the USPS website:

What Are You Mailing? Domestic

Knowing the shape of your mail determines the price you will pay.

Postcards

Maximum thickness 0.016 inch

Letters

Maximum thickness 1/4 inch

Large Envelopes

Maximum thickness 3/4 inch

Packages

Maximum length plus girth 108 inches (130 inches for USPS Retail Ground)

Mailpiece Dimensions

SHAPE   LENGTH HEIGHT

Postcardsminimum
maximum
5 inch min.
6 inch max.
3-1/2 inch min.
4-1/4 inch max.
Lettersminimum
maximum
5 inch min.
11-1/2 inch max.
3-1/2 inch min.
6-1/8 inch max.
Large Envelopesminimum
maximum
11-1/2 inch min.
15 inches
6-1/8 inch min.
12 inches
PackagesMaximum length plus girth 108 inches (130 inches for Retail Ground)
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I ship around 1800 first class packages  a year in my 5x5x5 inch cube boxes

they are my favorite. for heavier pocket watches  I will go to a 6x6x6 inch cube box

I see you are using pirate ship

the dimensions for box sizes are all optional for ebay first  class and they default to 1x1x1

I neve bother with the dimensions for first class when using ebay shipping

@momdadsstash 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

That is the official size, but seems like it was not strictly enforced because they do let some pass. I've mailed some smaller as well.  When I contacted my PO to ask for more info, they said they are having more complaints about tiny packages being lost.  IMO they have more tiny packages to lose because as rates go up the idea of modifying a box to the smallest size possible to reduce weight and still fit a legible label on is a good cost saving measure many sellers and others might have tried to take. My local PO might have had more complaints so they raised the minimum a tad to try and prevent issues before they happen. I asked could a small box (like a 4x2x2) that was under go in a polybag w/ the correct length & width and meet the requirement, they said yes. I asked could a non structured polybag w/ the correct length & width without bubbles that will not hold shape be used, they said yes.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@holmaneva-2 wrote:

Greetings All,

While dropping cards off at the PO I saw a sign that said "minimum" dimension size for 1st Class Package was going to be 6 x 4 x 1/4 inches. Is this a local thing or nationwide?

@holmaneva-2,

There is a "minimum" size for First Class Packages, which is slightly smaller than that, but it is only applied to packages that are less than 1/4" thick. So this would not apply to a box that is 4" x 4" x 2".

Basically, 5" x 3 1/2" x 0.007" is an envelope, not a package (0.007 = 1/143, so this is a lot smaller than 1/4").

Perhaps this standard is going to be updated. If so, they might be changing the minimum length and width for packages that are less than 1/4" thick. Was there a date on the sign, when the change would go into effect?

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-are-the-Types-of-First-Class-Mail#weight_standards_retail

image.png

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

From the USPS:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-are-the-Types-of-First-Class-Mail

Maximum Size: Parcels cannot measure more than 108 inches in length and girth combined.

Minimum Size: All pieces ¼ inch thick or less must be a minimum of:

• 5 inches in length
  • 3½ inches in height and
  • 0.007 inches in thickness

Maximum Size: Parcels cannot measure more than 108 inches in length and girth combined. Also, parcels cannot measure more than:

• 22 inches in length or
  • 18 inches in width or
  • 15 inches in thickness

Minimum Size: All pieces ¼ inch thick or less must be a minimum of:

• 5 inches in length
  • 3½ inches in height and
  • 0.007 inch in thickness
The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The "sign" was written on what looked like a sheet of copy paper, displayed at the front on the line waiting to go up to the counter. There was nothing at all official looking about it like one would expect from some change issued from upper level in the USPS. The line was backed up to the door so I did not bother to ask then about it, but did call today after asking my shipping site did they know anything about a change and trying to find out about a change through searches, which did not turn up any info on a new change, so figured I'd ask here. From the call I made today, IMO from how the conversation went, they have been getting complaints from customers about lost smaller packages and tried to make a fix to mitigate. This is small town, so maybe it would be easier to do a "fix" instead of dealing with complaints from people you know? For me, a small seller, if a label prints for it I'm mailing it until "officially informed" if there is indeed a USPS wide change of how things have been working to not waste shipping resources to bag a box or to pay to pack and fill dead space above the amount needed for for safe transport in a box. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

I don't use any boxes smaller than 6 x 4 inches because I use 4x6 thermal shipping labels.

You can wrap labels around the sides of boxes...I do it all the time.  For whatever reason, I've seen USPS counter employees do it for customers, even when the label would easily fit on one side.  No idea why they do that.  When I do it, I make sure that the delivery address isn't the part that gets wrapped.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply