cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media mail mis-use

I recently purchased a set of pillowcases which arrived on time, but seller had sent them MEDIA MAIL. I hate it when anyone cheats the USPS. I am tempted to give the seller a Neutral.  I asked him why he did this, but he insisted the package was sent by first class.  The label was generated through eBay, so he hold have had to deliberately chosen the class of mail. What would you do?  Should I just let this go and forget about it?

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Media mail mis-use

"Economy" shouldn't be allowed for media mail items across the board, then too. You only get Media Mail or Priority as options on items allowed by Media Mail. Problem solved.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@glyph01 wrote:

"Economy" shouldn't be allowed for media mail items across the board, then too. You only get Media Mail or Priority as options on items allowed by Media Mail. Problem solved.

But then you are not allowing Parcel Select which I believe also falls under eBay's Economy definition. I've discussed this misuse in the past with eBay and they claim they have no way to control the Media Mail misuse. We even see situations where the postal employees at post offices tell the sellers that Media Mail is OK for magazines and video games.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I would let it go & let the seller take the risk if he gets caught misusing the service.

When the USPS stops subsidizing E-packets from China at a fraction of what it costs us to ship across the street then I might feel bad about it.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I wouldn't think a set of pillowcases would be very heavy (I could be wrong) and it's entirely possible the seller did select FCP as the shipping option but the new ebay label flow shows Media Mail as an option even when it shouldn't be one.

Not necessarily deliberate.
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Honestly I made the mistake once, I'm not sure why but the media mail option actually came up before the first class option. So it may have been an honest mistake, you can take it further or you can wait for the seller to get contacted by USPS. I'm sure they will not let all parcels get through like that. 

In my case it was $2.58 for first class and $2.40 or something for media mail. 

Luckily i saw it as I was about to print the label and cancelled it, took USPS weeks to do the refund but it got sorted out. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Oh, they will get busted with or without your help.

USPS doesn't like that at all. They may already know and be trying to let the seller do it enough times to rack up a nice fine.

That being said, it is less than credible that the seller would really think a pillow case could be considered media due to the fact that it is a "fabric parchment" and has letters written on a label.   USPS will catch'em.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply