cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing states item will be shipped UPS ground, but tracking says otherwise...

Hello people

so I recently ordered a Halloween prop here on EBay. The listing states that the item will be shipped via UPS ground. Ok, so UPS will deliver it then, right? Well, after the item was shipped i checked the tracking to find that the shipping info was sent to FedEx?!?! This confused me greatly. I’ve never had good luck with FedEx since my packages usually come later than expected when shipped through said company. Another thing is that a lot of the things I bought that used FedEx in the past were eventually passed over to the USPS (I know it’s because the seller used FedEx SmartPost to ship it, which might I add is basically snail mail) that’s when my packages can take over 2 weeks to arrive. I’m posting this because I’m wondering why they shipped FedEx if the listing states it would be shipped UPS Ground??? Btw, the item had free shipping. A little info on why this change in shippers happened would be appreciated:)

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It happened because the seller decided to ship the package using Fedex instead of UPS.  Shipping is free so why complain?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@zacprompovitc0 wrote:

A little info on why this change in shippers happened would be appreciated:)

Some sellers pick from multiple shippers depending on reasons perhaps known only to them. It might be that they're re-using an old listing template and forgot to change the Shipping method(s) offered. Your best bet is to simply write to the seller and ask what's going on.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

While it is easy to print UPS labels through eBay it is actually easier to print FedEx. From a shippers point of view, if I am offering free shipping I don't see that it makes a difference (No, I do not use smart post - that does make a difference).

Also UPS is on one side of town, FedEx on the other. Depends on what other errands I might have to run.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If you do not get your item by the estimated delivery date, then you will have a legitimate complaint.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@zacprompovitc0 wrote:. A little info on why this change in shippers happened would be appreciated:)

In my buying experiences, some sellers indicate & appropriately charge priority mail but sometimes downgrade shipping to media or another much slower & cheaper service, resulting in Increased seller profit.

possibly cheaper cost

It's done because EBay appears not  to effectively discourage it.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@zacprompovitc0 wrote:

Hello people

so I recently ordered a Halloween prop here on EBay. The listing states that the item will be shipped via UPS ground. Ok, so UPS will deliver it then, right? Well, after the item was shipped i checked the tracking to find that the shipping info was sent to FedEx?!?! This confused me greatly. I’ve never had good luck with FedEx since my packages usually come later than expected when shipped through said company. Another thing is that a lot of the things I bought that used FedEx in the past were eventually passed over to the USPS (I know it’s because the seller used FedEx SmartPost to ship it, which might I add is basically snail mail) that’s when my packages can take over 2 weeks to arrive. I’m posting this because I’m wondering why they shipped FedEx if the listing states it would be shipped UPS Ground??? Btw, the item had free shipping. A little info on why this change in shippers happened would be appreciated:)

Sometimes sellers will mention they will use additional shipping methods in their listing(s). As long as you receive your items arrive on time, it shouldn't really matter all that much.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Probably has something to do with the UPS vs Fedex cost to your specific location. I normally use Fedex, but every now and then UPS is cheaper. I will usually check with the buyer and make sure that is OK before changing services.

I kind of wish there was an option to just do "standard shipping" that does not specify a specific service provider when doing Free Shipping items. Then I would not have buyers with preconceived expectations on delivery service providers.

And yes, while it is not the best practice to switch services without a heads up - so long as you get your item in a timely manner undamaged, you really don't have too big a complaint. Fedex Smartpost is a totally different creature than Fedex Home Delivery so if it was downgraded to Smartpost you've got a legit complaint, though for me Smartpost is rarely more than $1 cheaper for much crappier service. I never use if for a buyer's purchase.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@aquajoe07011 wrote:

It happened because the seller decided to ship the package using Fedex instead of UPS.  Shipping is free so why complain?

If that happened to me as a buyer I would not be happy. I have yet to ever receive ANY package that is sent to me through FedEx. They are always delivered to one of the neighbors houses and then I have to go pick them up. UPS can always find my house but FedEx seems to always have a problem.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:
I kind of wish there was an option to just do "standard shipping" that does not specify a specific service provider when doing Free Shipping items. Then I would not have buyers with preconceived expectations on delivery service providers.

Actually there is. I use it all the time for exactly the reason you stated.

Admittedly I am still using Turbo Lister. But when I check free shipping there is a drop down box with "standard shipping" at the very bottom.

Just for chuckles I brought up one of my existing listings that I do charge shipping for. I hit revise, after I changed the calculator to "flat rate" and  clicked free shipping the same "standard shipping" option was available.

The trick is to make sure you click "flat rate to all buyers".

Message 10 of 10
latest reply