cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping USPS Receipts

I go to the post office every day and hand my sold packages to the clerk and ask for a receipt so that I can make sure they get scanned. Is there any purpose to holding on to the receipts? I'm wondering if, since the tracking info is automatically loaded to eBay when I print the label, I can just toss them after the packages are scanned.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Keeping USPS Receipts

@b.comm wrote:

@imakesugar wrote:

I would also snip and save all the Tracking from the PO. I have heard of Sellers getting a chargeback and have nothing to prove that they have sent the item. USPO deletes the files after a certain date and Neither Pay Pal or eBay can see them after the date! 

When you buy something it shows in your ebay account as delivered.  Ebay and Paypal should record the delivery info and keep it on file for 180 days. Would make it easier for sellers.

@b.comm Unfortunately they don't, sellers who got INRS filed after the 120 mark lost because the tracking had been purged. As far as I know, PayPal has done nothing on their end to capture the tracking data and save it.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the informative responses!! That 120/180 day difference is a pretty sneaky loophole, I am definitely going to continue keeping the receipts!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

When printing multiple shipments the receipt does not even print. It prints only when one shipment label is printed. Since I use adhesive labels, two to a sheet, I am forced to waste one for every single shipment.  I get the idea of good audit trails but not sure this really makes sense.  I'd prefer not to print the label recipt.  The only time I needed to prove to PayPal it was shipped providing the tracking was enough. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@koala08 wrote:
Postingid2017 - Can you please tell me how keeping the address on file is helpful? Isn't that information already recorded on PayPal?

I keep the part that shows where (and to who) the item was shipped.

"Online Label Record"

I have used them more than once when a buyer messages to say "I did not get my item"

I send a photo of that portion of the label showing that it was shipped to the address provided at checkout.

It has the item #, Title from the listing, shipping class/cost, weight, tracking #, print date, ship date, who from address, and who to address.

Quick reference for me if needed.

USPS Tracking info is available for an extended time, but may take a Freedom of Information Act request to get it.

My carrier gives no receipts.

Some offices that I go to have only the hand held scanner with no printing of receipts. Some use the POS to print a detailed receipt. One prints with a hand held that gives a printed with the track # and destination.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

One post office won't even do this for me. Another one will so I go there. Until that first scan is done, there's no proof that I dropped the package off, only that I printed a label.  The receipt proves that it was dropped off.  With the pressure to ship quickly, I don't want to take the heat if it gets dropped and misplaced for two days before it gets scanned in and if they never get it at least they know it's not because I decided not to mail it. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply