cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is free shipping on ebay is truly free?

Hey, i am a new member on ebay and i want to buy stuff, but i found that shipping cost is free by saw the "shipping free" mark on it. is it really mean free shipping?, and i dont have to pay the shipping cost and taxes?,

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

The Post Office always insists I pay with money every time I ask.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Some sellers raise the price of the items so they can offer free shipping. yep, buyers pay one way or another just depends if the seller wants to hide it or not.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Free shipping has nothing to do with taxes unless you mean the portion you would normally pay on shipping.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

' Free ' that is inside the listing country. I thought it was amusing when you mentioned ' taxes, ' as a part of that equation. However, Yes, if the seller is inside of Indonesia and is offering ' free ' shipping it will cost you nothing to have the item shipped to you. Internationally though, as you are probably well aware, everything is taxed going your way, free shipping or not.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

There is no such thing as Free Shipping since there is no delivery service in existence that will deliver for free or they wouldn't last long as a business.

You pay shipping prices one way or another.

Ebay tries to compete with all these TV commercials advertising free shipping (Yeah, "game changer!") but go to these sites and see their prices!  They're jacked up to make up for the shipping.

The bad thing about Free Shipping is the prices are raised to make up for it so that when you buy more more than one item, you're paying more than one shipping charge.   You buy 5 items and you're paying 5 times the shipping charge.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@tvcollectibles wrote:

............The bad thing about Free Shipping is the prices are raised to make up for it so that when you buy more more than one item, you're paying more than one shipping charge.   

Unless you're purchasing something from China, than the US taxpayer pays for the USPS subsidised e-packet shipping. Then it's practically free. 

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@tvcollectibles wrote:

There is no such thing as Free Shipping since there is no delivery service in existence that will deliver for free or they wouldn't last long as a business.

You pay shipping prices one way or another.

Ebay tries to compete with all these TV commercials advertising free shipping (Yeah, "game changer!") but go to these sites and see their prices!  They're jacked up to make up for the shipping.

The bad thing about Free Shipping is the prices are raised to make up for it so that when you buy more more than one item, you're paying more than one shipping charge.   You buy 5 items and you're paying 5 times the shipping charge.

That commercial always makes me want to walk up to the first millennial I see and smack 'em upside the head...LOL

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

Why would a buyer pay the Post Office?

If the listing states "Free shipping" to your location, that means no shipping cost will be added to the amount you're required to pay. It has no effect on whether you will pay taxes, customs duties, etc.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

"but go to these sites and see their prices!  They're jacked up to make up for the shipping."

yep, the night time maintenance guy at walmart that i work nights at stocking asked me in early spring if our price tag was right on the plastic rocking chairs that we had in stock for $35.97 because when he showed his wife what he was looking at to see if she liked them the online ship to home free price was $99.  Yes, our price was right, that was just the online markup price to get free shipping.

Now walmart started something new recently and that is if you are willing to pick the item up at the store instead of shipping it to your house we take 5% off. Cost us very little to have it come on a truck that is going to our store anyways multiple times a day from our warehouse but costs them bigger $'s to have the item shipped to the people's houses

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

so, if my items is in tokyo. whether i have still to pay the shipping charges? even the seller put free shipping on it?

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

If an item is listed as Free Shipping, the shipping cost is folded into the price of the item.

Actual Item Price:  $10

Shipping Cost:  $6

Therefore the item is listed as $15.99 with Free Shipping.   

It looks like you're saving money but you're not.  The buyer is still paying for the shipping.  And, yes, I do this with many of my listings.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

If the Seller has it listed as Free Shipping, you pay the price of the item, shipping is free. Taxes depend on the locations of the item & yourself. I must pay taxes if I buy within my own U.S. state.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

Why would a buyer pay the Post Office?

If the listing states "Free shipping" to your location, that means no shipping cost will be added to the amount you're required to pay. It has no effect on whether you will pay taxes, customs duties, etc.

The buyer always pays the post office.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

If an item is listed as Free Shipping, the shipping cost is folded into the price of the item.

Actual Item Price:  $10

Shipping Cost:  $6

Therefore the item is listed as $15.99 with Free Shipping.   

It looks like you're saving money but you're not.  The buyer is still paying for the shipping.  And, yes, I do this with many of my listings.

Worse yet if you buy more than one item from the seller

Actual item Price:  $10.00 x 2 = $20.00

Shipping Cost: $6.00 + $2.00 (additional item charge... whatever it may be) = $8.00

Total charge including shipping for 2 items = $28.00

Free shipping model

$15.99 x 2 = $31.98

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 15 of 35
latest reply