cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Return Issue/Questio

I'm hoping for some input before I torture myself all day on the phone with eBay.

The background: I made a sale to Canada. I do this all the time. I don't use GSP. This buyer was unhappy with the estimated shipping cost through USPS. I gave him the UPS cost, which was cheaper, as an option, which he chose. I clearly told him at least three different times, through the messaging system with a direct quote specifying UPS, a image of the screenshot from UPS so he would know I was not padding the cost, and through invoicing which specified UPS. He likely got the invoice twice, as I had to open a NPI. He waited until 12 hours before that was available to close out to pay (oh how I wish he'd just not paid at this point). He's now been hit with the duty and import charges from UPS, which has made him, to say the least, unhappy. He has refused delivery on the package. It now sits with UPS waiting for me to decide how I want to proceed. It  is basically the same shipping charge back. None of these charges are small at all.

What is the likelihood that eBay is going to back me up if I refund him less *all* the shipping charges both outgoing and return charges? He's going to have a huge fit, but he's given up his buyer protection by refusing delivery at this point. Online, viewable tracking shows him refusing delivery. I don't want to refund him and have him run right down to UPS and pay the bail, but if eBay is not going to back me up on the much reduced refund it is not worth it to me to pay to get the package back.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: International Return Issue/Questio

eBay will likely side with you. But PayPal will not, if he paid with his PayPal account. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

eBay will likely side with you. But PayPal will not, if he paid with his PayPal account. 

Even if I have email communications from him that he refused delivery? He can't claim INR, and he'd have to pay to return it if he opened any other PayPal claim, which is really all I'm doing.  He's just going to have a fit over the $ amount.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

Even if I have email communications from him that he refused delivery? He can't claim INR, and he'd have to pay to return it if he opened any other PayPal claim, which is really all I'm doing.  He's just going to have a fit over the $ amount.

PayPal has a different policy from eBay. You would most likely win an eBay case. But if he files a INR with PayPal, he will win. PayPal doesn’t disqualify the buyer when they refuse the package and they won’t accept eBay messages as proof of anything. He CAN claim INR if the tracking doesn’t show delivery to him.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I'm really sorry that this happened to you and I don't the buyer is being fair or reasonable.  It is never a good idea to use a courier to send an item outside of the country. Often when an item is sent by mail, Canada customs does not charge any tax or duty.   Items over C$20 sent by courier always incur tax, duty and also a hefty brokerage fee and most buyers and sellers aren't aware of that. Regardless, imo it is still the buyer's responsibility to pay the fees owed. As jen mentioned ebay will likely agree with you but Paypal or a credit card issuer probably won't.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply