cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance recommendations?

When selling an expensive item, which insurance company do you use? 

In looking up prices, I have found that USPS, U-PIC, and ShipCover  are very close in price.  Pirate Ship's  insurance by Shipsurance is quite a bit less expensive. I rarely sell anything over $100 so I rarely buy insurance other than what is provided with Priority Mail.

I will, of course, pay for signature confirmation.

I'd like to hear your experience and advice.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

...if USPS is your shipping courier, better use their insurance because it will be easier to file a claim later...

...not much difference in insurance premium between USPS and ShipCover...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

In looking up prices, I have found that USPS, U-PIC, and ShipCover  are very close in price.

@emerald_door 

Though price can be an issue, I would suggest you also look to see what is "excluded" from coverage.  They all will let you BUY the insurance, but they may not cover certain items.   Some require the "buyer" to cooperate in the claim,  for example attesting to the 'damage' etc.  Without that, they insurance won't pay.  eBay does not require buyers to participate in insurance claims, so there is a possibility purchasing it would be rather pointless. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I always use the insurance policy offered through EBAY.     They are very good at paying on a claims (and don't make you jump through hoops to get your money).

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

I always use the insurance policy offered through EBAY.     They are very good at paying on a claims (and don't make you jump through hoops to get your money).

This is good to know.  I have always bought USPS. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I've been using Pirate Ship's insurance for expensive items ($500+) at 80¢ per $100.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

be sure to read the rules and regulations on what ever insurance you use to see if the item is even covered etc...

It will usually only protect you from damage by the carrier:  Note the receiver of such an item doe not even have to cooperate with a insurance claim just so you know:

A lot of carriers now days want the item and packing inspected: this is also a problem in such cases.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply