cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inflated eBay International Standard Delivery Shipping Rates

Hello! Hoping I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Over the weekend, I noticed the eBay International Standard Delivery rates increase drastically. Typically, an 8 oz parcel to Europe would cost $12 - $16 to mail. Suddenly, I noticed I was being quoted over $50 for the same 8 oz parcel. I have contacted two different Ebay representatives regarding this matter. The issue was supposed to be resolved within 24 - 48 hours, but I am still seeing these inflated shipping rates. 😳 I ended up purchasing the shipping labels anyway in hopes Ebay will adjust the price when I am charged for them when they arrive at the shipping facility. I use eBay International Standard Delivery frequently, so this price hike is quite a problem for me! 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Inflated eBay International Standard Delivery Shipping Rates

A price change went into effect on January 9th @kakp that now takes billable weight into account, even on small and lightweight packages.

Package L x W x H / 166 = billable weight

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I was seeing the same issue with small packages 8oz or less and when I found out that my 9x5x2 box was the reason. I have been using this same DIM box for 10+ years and never thought about it possibly being hit with DIM weight. Since it comes out .54 with the DIM billable weight it would get processed as a 1 pound item. 

I noticed this after the rate jump this week when I checked Friday the label cost for a package to Czech Republic it was giving me the 1 pound rate of $21 for a 7oz 9x5x2 box with eBay International Standard Delivery as it becomes .54 with DIM calculations. It does seem like the billable DIM issue has been resolved as I checked the Shipping Center for the same label this morning and it was back to not charging a DIM weight on this same package with the rate going back to $12 rate for 0-8oz. 

I don't know if this will stay in effect as the Rate Page still states the LxWxH/166 is to be used for DIM weight. I have revised over 6000 listings because of this change only for it to revert back. Guess we'll have to see going forward if we are hit with DIM weight for rather small packages. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Hey eBay team tyler@ebay and velvet@ebay.

Can one of you confirm if eBay saw the light and reversed the billable weight change on eISD shipments that went into effect on the 9th? To be clear, I'm talking about the billable weight based on package size, not the general price increase. Sellers of 4 oz packages were being charged for a 1 lb package even though their packages were small. I can point you to about 10 different discussions on this forum from sellers that were caught off guard when this went into effect.

The eISD page has not been updated to reflect any change, but I've seen 2 sellers report today that the system is no longer using LxWxH/166 to determine rates on small packages. If this was reversed or changed in some way, what are the new rules? Is there a size when the billable weight formula goes into effect (like over a cubic foot)? The eISD page still indicates that this applies to all packages according to the text below the rate chart:

Billable Weight

Billable weight is calculated as the greater of actual weight and dimensional weight. Actual weight is the weight of the fully packaged shipment in pounds (scale weight). Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 166; ((L*W*H/166)). When the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight; charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Shipments whose billable weight exceeds the max allowable weight or dimensions rating limit will be returned to sender at sender’s expense (See oversized package detailed below).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey eBay team tyler@ebay and velvet@ebay.

Can one of you confirm if eBay saw the light and reversed the billable weight change on eISD shipments that went into effect on the 9th? To be clear, I'm talking about the billable weight based on package size, not the general price increase. Sellers of 4 oz packages were being charged for a 1 lb package even though their packages were small. I can point you to about 10 different discussions on this forum from sellers that were caught off guard when this went into effect.

The eISD page has not been updated to reflect any change, but I've seen 2 sellers report today that the system is no longer using LxWxH/166 to determine rates on small packages. If this was reversed or changed in some way, what are the new rules? Is there a size when the billable weight formula goes into effect (like over a cubic foot)? The eISD page still indicates that this applies to all packages according to the text below the rate chart:

Billable Weight

Billable weight is calculated as the greater of actual weight and dimensional weight. Actual weight is the weight of the fully packaged shipment in pounds (scale weight). Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 166; ((L*W*H/166)). When the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight; charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Shipments whose billable weight exceeds the max allowable weight or dimensions rating limit will be returned to sender at sender’s expense (See oversized package detailed below).

There's been no announced change to how the pricing process works. We'll check in with the shipping team though, and follow-up with any news they happen to send our way. Thanks @wastingtime101!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Yeah and you need to be leery about investing into the US Postal system labels because the USPS site clearly says First Class International is to be no more than 6 inches and then it reverts to International Priority.

And I get this feeling there's so many sellers not realizing that because of eBay's screwed up International calculator not being set correctly and the seller's will pay the price of it.

They will either return our packages at our expense or charge our credit/debit cards the price difference.

I saved my 3 International orders to take to the Post Office tomorrow (Tuesday) since today is a holiday but then I could be dealing with some inept Postal Clerk who knows very little as well.

From all I'm seeing, I'm about to do away with International sales completely.  But then I only get an average of 3 a week anyway.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@tvcollectibles wrote:

the USPS site clearly says First Class International is to be no more than 6 inches and then it reverts to International Priority.

Can you provide a link @tvcollectibles? That info isn't accurate. Is it possible you're referring to the minimum package size of 6x4?

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Okay well I just checked the USPS site using their tabulator.  Yesterday their First Class International was rejecting my France package measuring 12x9x1 inch only giving International Priority options.

Today it seems to be allowing the First Class International option for that size package to France.

Difficult to know what to do with all these different tabulators figuring things differently from day to day.

I checked with the eBay tabulator and it's figuring USPS First Class International up according to the USPS site s well.

So the big question for me right now is ... The eBay International Standard Delivery working correctly?  Because my packages are indeed over that Billable weight being they're 12x9x1 at 8 ounces.

12x9x1/166 = .65 which is more than .5 (being 8 ounces)

But yet it's still calculating it as the cheap rate of $13 instead of $21

I was told on the phone by an eBay rep not to buy into that because as far as they knew, the Billable weight was still in effect and isn't eBay's decision to make.  It came from the company they use.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Hey everyone! We heard back that the billable weight had been turned on for eBay International Standard Delivery (eISD) unknowingly and they turned it back to actual weight. I hope this helps to clarify what happened. 

Thanks again for the tag @wastingtime101

Velvet,
eBay
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for the update velvet@ebay (and that's good news), but can you explain then why the eISD page still mentions billable weight and doesn't post a threshold where it kicks in (like over a cubic foot, for example)? You can see what I'm talking about by looking at the billable weight section just below the pricing chart on the link I posted.

Edit: And what about the sellers that were charged inflated prices for a full week? Will they be seeing automatic credits for the difference?

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Thanks for the update velvet@ebay (and that's good news), but can you explain then why the eISD page still mentions billable weight and doesn't post a threshold where it kicks in (like over a cubic foot, for example)? You can see what I'm talking about by looking at the billable weight section just below the pricing chart on the link I posted.

Edit: And what about the sellers that were charged inflated prices for a full week? Will they be seeing automatic credits for the difference?

I've reached back out to see if I can get answers to your questions @wastingtime101. I'll follow-up with whatever they come back with.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Hi velvet@ebay - checking in to see if you have an update before the weekend?

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I haven't heard from them yet @wastingtime101  but I'll follow-up as soon as I have anything to share. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Good news @wastingtime101! I've heard back from the shipping team and I'll include what they told me below:

We are actively working on updating the eISD webpage and rate sheet.

Billing for eISD labels is completed through the seller invoices and happens on approximately a 3-4 week lag.  As a result, we will be able to ensure sellers are billed based upon actual weight for any parcels during the impacted period. However, if sellers ever identify a discrepancy or simply have questions, they can always contact us at ebayshippingteam@ebay.com. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Thanks velvet@ebay!

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply