cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate first class shipping calculation

I've been selling since 1996 and recently, the calculation for shipping has been off, with the buyer paying too little.

I just sold something first class with a calculation of 13 ounces and 12x9x1 inches for the package. So based on their zip code (eastern NY) they were charged $3.56. But when the screen came up to mail it, the cost is $5.53.

This has happened a few times now. Again, I've filled everything in so there is nothing for me to change on this screen.

So what's happened with the calculations?

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.17.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.18.56 PM.png

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You charged your buyer for a 13-ounce First Class flat (AKA Large envelope) but eBay only sells postage for packages. If your item really was one inch thick, then you should have set up the listing to charge for a package, not for a Large envleope.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I use a shipping rule. Other than eBay's new standard envelope option, there is only one other 1st class option which is for packages. It's the same rule I use for all my 1st class auctions. The envelopes are either 6x9x1 or 9x12x1.Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.57.22 PM.png

This particular auction failed in calculating. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hey @nydepot if you want to ship with USPS Flat service or some postage stamps and the package qualifies for that service based on dimensions and other factors, you certainly can, but eBay does not offer shipping labels for any untracked services. You would need to purchase that postage elsewhere.

If you want to charge buyers for a tracked package so you can purchase a tracked label through eBay, then make sure you choose Package from the package type selection on the listing form.

packagetype.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks. Again, I've been selling since 1996. I mail using eBay 1st class package, which includes tracking. I use a shipping rule for all of this, which I started using when rules came out a while ago. Everything is usually fine. This ONE package had an issue. I brought it up because I hope it doesn't not keep occurring.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The shipping method in your screenshot is in no way tied to the screenshot I posted above. They are different fields on the listing form.

Go to that sold listing where the buyer was undercharged for a package rate and click "sell similar" - then scroll down towards the bottom of the listing form under package weight & dimensions, and see what it says under "package type." You can delete the draft without publishing it, but following those steps will show you where that listing had the wrong package type selected.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I'm using the new-fangled listing template but this is the area that has all that. "1st Class Calculated" is a 1st class package, calculated, 1 day processing, local pickup. I've been using that policy for years. There is no package type in the new listing template. Just the two fields shown.Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 3.18.31 PM.png

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Then the only way to fix this glitch is to switch to the "classic" form, and change the package type there.  That new form is so terrible.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I don't have the new form in front of me, but you should be able to edit that section. Click on edit and pull up the package details section where you enter dimensions - do you see the package type there?

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

You can edit, but only the weight and shipping policy. There is no package type option. There never has been. It assumes it's a package.

This item that sold, I've sold many of.  Only this one had the bad calculation.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

If that listing was either:

- Created with the classic listing tool where you chose Large Envelope instead of Package

- Created using "sell similar" from an old listing that had Large Envelope selected

Then that would explain why the package type behind the scenes, hidden and uneditable on the new tool was Large Envelope.

Edit: I checked on the new Bulk Edit Tool and that neglects package type as well. The new form is so bad. Every day we discover ways it's completely messed up and non-functional.

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It's created with a template, with the specs I said earlier. No sell similar. I create new templates as I have new item types to sell. They are always packages.

Like I said, all the other sales have been fine.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hey @siamjane8 and @shipscript. You two have been pretty involved with the new listing tool. Has this package type issue come up yet?

I'm not sure which threads to go back and review on this or on which active thread to post these issues as they're brought to light.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@nydepot 

I haven't tested end-to-end (through a sale). However, the new Unified Lister is supposed to deal with "shipping policies" better than when selecting individual shipping options.

Your listing does show me "large envelope" pricing, where shipping is weight-based rather than distance based.

shipscript_1-1656104347883.png

When I use eBay's shipping calculator, I match what your label program is showing you for a first class package at $5.53 vs $7.10 retail  (13oz for zone 3).

USPS_FirstClassPackage_brief_2022.gif

When I try to create a listing with the Unified Lister, without using policies, I am shown the distance-based retail rate range for a first class package (My account settings do not pass through savings). There is no letter option, even if I set the weight down to 3 ounces:

shipscript_2-1656106121354.png

None of this explains why your listing displayed a large envelope rate. I suspect you may need to go into your Shipping Policy settings and reselect the shipping method to choose a package. eBay may have changed the meaning of some fields (they used to have a "large envelope or package" field and perhaps that has been split.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I have not come across that but I have another tab open right now  with t he new listing flow and it does not give any options for package type at all.

If i know it is under 1 lbs- I have always just switched to flat rate shipping  for simplicity sake- max from PA to CA is about 5.75 or so so I do not bother with calculated shipping- Although for 1st class it does not matter anyway (unless it is very oversized), I never even fill in the dimensions for 1st class in the listing or when I buy the label- I just leave it a 1" for all the fields. ( I have tried filling them in and it makes zero difference to the rate so why do the busywork?) 

New tool is definitely lacking in a professional tool- too many clicks and oversimplified when it needs to be more robust, but way overcomplicated when a simple checkbox will work....... Its completely backwards as to what it should be- so it causes many listing errors from long time listers and new listers have no idea what to select.... but in either event it take 2-3x more clicks of a mouse to do anything which stretches out the time it takes to list an item making it frustrating  

Listed a few items today and had to go back and revise because of errors...again. - you cannot proof your listing at a glance anymore because all the item specifics are in little short 2" long fields- you would have to click on it and then scroll to see the full item specific as a whole  ( now it just says teh first item specific and a +7  or +4 or +3 etc.    

Everything is still hidden from view for esthetics sake so we cant just look it over rand catch typos or a random wrong item specific that transferred over.

I hate being made to loose money and sales and be a guinea pig for ebay's new design while I'm paying them the fees! They should be paying me at this point for using this tool- if it was better they would not have to force people to use it. simple truth

Message 15 of 15
latest reply