cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you list the package size for USPS poly mailers?

Say that I'm shipping small things that won't get damaged and weigh 3-4 ounces on average. I'm used to shipping boxes and thick/padded envelopes. Is putting in the size for a poly mailer required or just the weight only?  Of course, items move around in poly mailers and also the "size" depends on what is in it. Is it necessary to put that? Ebay seems to want it.

7.5 x 10.5 2 mil poly bags. If I want to use the bags that I already have, can they be folded in half and taped to be smaller or is that pretty much against the rules? What's the minimum size that the poly mailer can be? I use printable self-stick labels. Just trying to figure out how to use these things.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

As long as it's no larger than 12x12x12 I wouldn't worry about it. You don't have to fill in package size when you list. If eBay Shipping needs the dimensions, it will ask you when you buy postage.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Well, I figured that, but for instance:

I put in 4 ounces as USPS First Class Package, it autofills package dimensions as 7 x 4 x 4. It says they're required. I just don't know how to list that for a poly mailer. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Dimensions only matter with regard to figuring out whether or not oversize shipping charges will apply. As long as it's small enough to not incur oversize charges, the exact dimensions don't matter.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@jmr1068215wrote:
 ... 7.5 x 10.5 2 mil poly bags. If I want to use the bags that I already have, can they be folded in half and taped to be smaller or is that pretty much against the rules? What's the minimum size that the poly mailer can be? I use printable self-stick labels. Just trying to figure out how to use these things.

Your First Class package (box or envelope) envelope should be big enough to fit the whole shipping label without folding it over to another side.  Here's what the Domestic Mail Manual has to say about the size of First  Class packages:

8.3.2 Size

The address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain all delivery and return address, endorsement, postage, and label elements. A First-Class Package Service — Commercial parcel is:

1. A mailpiece that exceeds any one of the maximum dimensions for a flat (large envelope). See 4.0.
  2. A flat-size mailpiece, regardless of thickness, that is rigid or nonrectangular.
  3. A flat-size mailpiece that is not uniformly thick (has bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities that cause the thickness to vary more than 1/4 inch).
  4. A mailpiece that does not exceed 22 inches in length, or 18 inches in width, or 15 inches in thickness

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097318

(The maxmum dimensions for a flat are "not more than 15 inches long or more than 12 inches high or more than 3/4 inch thick".)

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

We mail 99% of our stuff first class and as long as you put thick envelope or package and the weight is good, you dont have to put the dimensions- at least we never do grinning

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@maridon7280wrote:

We mail 99% of our stuff first class and as long as you put thick envelope or package and the weight is good, you dont have to put the dimensions- at least we never do grinning

You only have to put the dimensions when you are creating a listing. When you are printing a label, only the weight is required. This is for First Class shipping of course. ☺

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@jmr1068215wrote:

Well, I figured that, but for instance:

I put in 4 ounces as USPS First Class Package, it autofills package dimensions as 7 x 4 x 4. It says they're required. I just don't know how to list that for a poly mailer. 

As long as your piece qualifies to be mailed as a FIrst Class package, the exact dimensions don't matter.  It's the same price regardless of dimensions. The default dimensions will do just fine.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

We just leave it blank when creating a listing and have never been kicked back.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Like others said, if you're just using 1st class shipping, you don't really need dimensions. I think maybe if you include international shipping, it asks for dimensions in your listing, under the international shipping section, but I'm not 100% on that. 

And if you do labels through eBay,  for 1st class domestic packages they only ask for weight.

As far as including dimensions while listing, I think that would be mainly for setting up combined shipping, or if you were going to have Priority as an option, using calculated shipping, things like that. 

I think I understand what you mean, though, about size. If I have a poly mailer that is 9 x 12 inches, and I want to mail a rubber ball that is 4 inches in diameter, once I put the ball in the bag, it's no longer 9 x 12. I would consider it 4x4x4. Or something like that. Even though there is extra envelope hanging around it. I think of it like if you wrapped the poly mailer snug around the item, what is about the smallest size box it could go in? And use that for dimensions. You can double them over and make them smaller. I've even cut them down to fit an oddly long/narrow item. As long as they are well-secured and clearly addressed so they make it to their destination, it should be fine. They are a great lightweight, water repellent option for shipping. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply