cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I offer free shipping in the continental USA but charge for Hawaii, Alaska or the military

How do I offer free shipping in the continental 48 continguous states in the USA but charge for Hawaii, Alaska or the military?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

How do I offer free shipping in the continental USA but charge for Hawaii, Alaska or the military

IF shipping USPS it really doesn’t cost extra to ship to those places. Curious why you don’t want to offer free shipping to buyers in the Military? I’d rather give them free shipping than regular folks in the continental US

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Here's the link to use shipping rate tables.

I'm sure a few regulars who use this feature will chime in with specific tips and tricks that supplement the official write-up.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-costs.html#tables

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

You can set up a shipping tables that charge different prices for different states (or sections of states) in My eBay > Account tab > Site preferences > Shipping.  You can set up a table with zero cost for shipping to the 48 contiguous states, and an incremental price for other  states, territories, etc.

However, if you are shipping via USPS, the cost to ship to those places via USPS from your location in Florida would be no more than shipping to California.  

I noticed that you have a jacket set up with shipping via Parcel Select Ground, which  would indeed be slow to those locations. However, the postage cost for Parcel Select would be the same as for Priority Mail, unless the package is over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches). 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Message states: IF shipping USPS it really doesn’t cost extra to ship to those places.
Response: I live in Hawaii and the ONLY times shipping is the same is using priority flat rate, first class or media. Note, however, media now takes from 35/40 days because it comes via boat.
Regular priority and parcel select costs considerably more than within the contiguous States. This makes sense though because of the additional air or boat travel required for an item to even reach the West Coast.
Such claims to the contrary will cost sellers to lose money on shipping. Funny thing though is Ebay doesn't seem to understand that Hawaii is a State because on items for sale often show up with international postage posted in the shipping costs.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@oaklandmarylandwrote: ...  I live in Hawaii and the ONLY times shipping is the same is using priority flat rate, first class or media...
Regular priority and parcel select costs considerably more than within the contiguous States.....

That is simply  incorrect. USPS sets prices according to shipping Zones and Hawaii would be Zone 8 from any of the contiguous 48 states.  However, shipping coast-to-coast within the "lower 48" is also Zone 8 postage.  From my location here in Boston, the USPS postage to Hawaii costs the same as shipping to Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, or California.

You can test this by making your own 1-page Zone Chart here. For Hawaii, of course everyplace else will be Zone 8.  But for most other US locations, there are states within the contiguous 48 that are also Zone 8.  In the midwest there is a small area where all of the 48 states are Zone 7 or less:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

The one bad thing about Alaska and Hawaii is the shipping options are limited. Media mail and Parcel select take FOREVER because both go on a boat. For whatever reason Fed Ex and UPS have terrible rates to both so they aren't an option either. That leaves the only viable options as USPS Priority and First Class Mail so if its anything over a pound, and it doesn't fit in ANY flat rate box or envelope then the costs could get expsneisve because the only viable option is priority. 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I don't really think that eBay permits offering free shipping to only the continental US and charging for other domestic destinations.  Of course, you can restrict domestic shipping to only the continental United States, but as I said, I don't think you can offer free to them and charge the others.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@anthonyd46wrote:

The one bad thing about Alaska and Hawaii is the shipping options are limited. Media mail and Parcel select take FOREVER because both go on a boat. For whatever reason Fed Ex and UPS have terrible rates to both so they aren't an option either. That leaves the only viable options as USPS Priority and First Class Mail so if its anything over a pound, and it doesn't fit in ANY flat rate box or envelope then the costs could get expsneisve because the only viable option is priority. 

First off the shipping to Alaska and Hawaii are NOT limited. I ship a lot to Alaska and my Brother-in-Law was stationed on Hawaii twice. 

A 5# box under 1 cubic foot shipped Priority is only $23.15 to Hawaii, Alaska, or LA from here in Ohio. Most of my APO packages ship from the east coast so they are much cheaper.

The same package can be shipped Parcel select to HI, AK or CA for $22.71 (I am quoting retail prices)but if it is NOT something that HAS to be shipped via ground then it should be shipped Priority.

Media Mail to all the above locations (same size and weight) is $4.70. While yes there is a chance that it could travel by boat, media mail ships in AVAILABLE space. Out of the past 10 Media Mail packages I shipped to Alaska only 2 ended up not flying, and the longest delivery time was 15 days, 5 of those it sat in Juno.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Its more limited than California, because Fed Ex and UPS are not legimate options to Alaska or Hawaii while they are legitmate options to California. That is two entire carriers wiped out so that makes USPS the only carrier that can be realistically be used going to Alaska or Hawaii. The reason for this is Fed Ex ground is not even avalaible to Hawaii. This takes out ground and home delivery making the shipper forced to use only air services or express services which are alot more expensive. 

Anyway 1 cubic foot box 5 LB from CT to HI

Priority $20.40

Parcel Select $21.02 (which could take a month)

Fed Ex 2 Day $73.95

UPS Ground $71.55

To say the options aren't limited is just wrong. It is not viable to ship that box Fed Ex or UPS for $50 more than USPS charges. 

To say its not limited when one 1 of 3 carriers could be used is just wrong. Any other state I can use any of the three carriers realsitically. Plus I could use Fed Ex ground which in these locations I can't.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@oaklandmarylandwrote: ...  I live in Hawaii and the ONLY times shipping is the same is using priority flat rate, first class or media...
Regular priority and parcel select costs considerably more than within the contiguous States.....

That is simply  incorrect. USPS sets prices according to shipping Zones and Hawaii would be Zone 8 from any of the contiguous 48 states.  However, shipping coast-to-coast within the "lower 48" is also Zone 8 postage.  From my location here in Boston, the USPS postage to Hawaii costs the same as shipping to Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, or California.

You can test this by making your own 1-page Zone Chart here. For Hawaii, of course everyplace else will be Zone 8.  But for most other US locations, there are states within the contiguous 48 that are also Zone 8.  In the midwest there is a small area where all of the 48 states are Zone 7 or less:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/

yes that is correct... it is calulated, so the parcel post etc is by distance/weight/size.... SO what i believe people are saying is...use the flat rate boxes...most of the time the cost is less or close to parcel post...but i suppose it all in what you are selling and trying to ship...and fitting into a flat rate box, right?

go to site map at bottom of page...there is a section for shipping...or HELP section..you'll be able to read up an shipping...and all you could want...

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@pingpong517wrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@oaklandmarylandwrote: ...  I live in Hawaii and the ONLY times shipping is the same is using priority flat rate, first class or media... .....

That is simply  incorrect. USPS sets prices according to shipping Zones and Hawaii would be Zone 8 from any of the contiguous 48 states. ...

yes that is correct... it is calulated, so the parcel post etc is by distance/weight/size.... SO what i believe people are saying is...use the flat rate boxes... ...

The point is that Hawaii and Alaska are not unique.  Shipping costs to Hawaii are the same as to any Zone 8 destination within the 48 contiguous states, so there is no need for the OP to set up a special shipping table.  

For ANY of those destinations, the USPS Priority Mail Medium flat-rate box wil be cheaper than shipping 3 pounds via the usual Priority Mail rates that are based on weight, dimensions, and distance.  The OP's cost to ship to Hawaii will be the same as shipping to California.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

FYI, the term "continental U.S." includes Alaska; the term "contiguous U.S." does not. 🙂

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@7606denniswrote:
 ... you can restrict domestic shipping to only the continental United States, but as I said, I don't think you can offer free to them and charge the others.

Sure you can.  As explained above, it is easily accomplished using the shipping tables in your Site preferences.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Would have to concure with most posts ... Why do you whant to allienate buyers that the USPS serves on a dailly basis ??  Granted - the shipping some time can be long (but not often), as a seller i have never had a problem shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, US Ter. or APOs

Message 15 of 27
latest reply