cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns

What exactly does it mean to offer free returns?  They can return anytime? If they change their mind they can return it for buyer's remorse?  Or does it mean seller will pay for return if it was the seller's fault? Thank you. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Free Returns

I did the survey today as well, I told them I would never do free returns. This is a joke, so we do free returns, free shipping with the prices jacked up? Most people I  know go to ebay  for lower priced items,   If you look at the people who offer both free ship and free returns  their prices are much higher, is this what ebay really wants? I am also contemplating NO returns and taking my chances on the scammer who will say something is wrong with the item, I don't care about that 10% either, if will cost way more than 10% for those people who like to order things try them on, wad them up and send them back all for FREE.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

I'm adding my two cents.... the past 8 months I've had the worst time with scammers/shady buyers.  I'm about fed up.  I only offer 14 day returns on pricier items like designer sunglasses, handbags, etc. to make the buyer feel confident. I always list NO returns on everything else. It doesn't stop me from getting my sales at all.  Most people get the item and are satisfied but then you do get the occasional scammers who knows just what to say to get their money back through you the seller or ebay with that buyer guarantee.  Sellers are made to fear the buyer opening a case because we don't want negative feedback. So although I keep every receipt, and stand by my products, I do not open the door for silly returns by offering them in the first place, like others have said, it gets expensive and the buyers do pay for it in the end with higher selling prices.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

I also took the eBay Expression survey today and let them know in no uncertain terms that NO, I am not likely to offer this and also that it is a terrible thing to do to sellers, particularly those who have worked hard to maintain TRS status for years.  I have been on here since 1998 and sell antiques almost exclusively.  This free return thing means that a dealer from "out there somewhere" can buy my item, spend 30 days trying to sell it, and then return it to me at my cost.  How is this fair?  Bad enough that they now calculate their fees based on sale price PLUS postage!!  If at the end of the day, I feel pushed enough to go that route to maintain the TRS status (as I see on the Facebook antiques groups people being advised to only buy from TRSellers), then it will wind up being a buck or two add to my handling fee to build up a little reserve to cover the extra cost.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

doesn't matter I have no returns on all my fancy,prom dresses; having had items obviously worn tags removed & stained but ebay lets them return anything anytime for any rason & if you appeal they charge your account (for me it was $10). there is virtually no seller protection.  should have seen that coming when they took away our right to leave negative feedback & forced us to only use paypal. I have reported non-paying buyers only to find later that there is no mark on their accounts so I block any non payer from ever bidding on my auctions again. The only things I have any success selling are lingerie sold to people who block their user id's from other buyers-no judgements please. 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

Must have been the eBay friends they don't let me return stuff that's not as described

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

"If the item is defective "X" will not charge the consumer for the ship back. That is the issue with the returns on some things with Ebay. "X" may have sent out a perfectly fine item. "Y" WILL claim defective to get shipping paid in some cases. So. by having the no free returns, you will still have a percentage of "Y" buyers who will claim defective, even if it is not defective. 

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

In today's eCommerce environment--most sellers all over the web offer free shipping and returns. 

I disagree.  When I shop on AMZ, only SOME sellers/listings have free returns.   Not the entire website.   

Then again, a lot of the sites that do offer free shipping both ways jack their prices up so high that they can afford to do so.    And buyers are willing to pay those higher prices for those services.    eBay is where people come because they want items for super cheap.  

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

@rock_crushers_unlimited wrote:
I sell gold nuggets and specimens. Some prospecting related statues and coins. There is no ( it dont fit ) or (its the wrong color) Gold is gold and thats that. The main problem is ebay is pushing out the very people that made them what they are today. The garage sale type. Back in the day ebay had commercials like come sell your used items, sell your garage sale stuff etc etc. If you think its right to offer anything more than 14 day (which by the way their taking away) then your crazy. They are trying to be and compete with sites that sell just new products. They know they are going to loose some smaller sellers but they dont care because thay will make more by not paying out the larger seller discounts.

Sellers will just have to review their business model and avoid selling merchandise prone to return,used electronics,clothese come to  mind.

I just return a piece of electronic ,it is used and seller tested i t by plugging into an outlet,but it also takes batteries so you can take it outside the house,unfortunately he does not have the C batteries to test that option and it does not work with batteries.

so he has to pay return shipping of $14.50,lose the original shipping of $14.50 to get his item back,he could still resell it if he states the limitation,but for an item selling for 34.95,he has lost 29 dollars ! 

The problem with reselling items you find in garage sale,attics,storage auction is that you dont know the history,it may be  never used,but it could be exposed to heat,moisture,dropped from high places or just plain stale and old .

if it is sealed,you dont want t open and test it,but how do you know it would work>

so instead of making money ,you end up losing money,in my case,the seller lost 29 dollars and I lost $8 buying those batteries,not a smart venture for both parties.

You read about these problems all the time,buyer bought a coffee maker (keurig),a saw,a laptop,easy jack,batteries etc etc and they dont work!!!!! 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

Exactly what happened to me recently. WIth the automated returns process, the seller doesn't even have the opportunity to respond to a "not as described" claim by the buyer. In this recent case, the buyer did not return the item in the same condition. They wanted me to refund 100%, plus their cost to ship it back! I did meet them in the middle and agreed to refund 100%, which included the original cost of shipping. My normal policy (as clearly stated in my listings) is that the cost of shipping paid by the buyer is not refundable. I would have fought the claim, but it isn't worth the trouble. My concern is that once buyers figure out the system, it could become a nightmare. And, we all know that the seller protections that eBay claims exist are a joke. I'm still offering the 30-day buyer paid returns, waiting to see how and when eBay actually implements the new rules regarding the TRS discount.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

say they are investigating buyers but don't believe them.  have buyers buy from 4 sellers and return each time.  wild west again on ebay back when money orders were accepted.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply