cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Class Large Envelope on Shipping Label Options?

I see a new option to use a large first class envelope to ship. However, when I click on the label, there is no option to buy. I've called Ebay 3 times and every time I get a new answer that makes no sense. help.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

eBay does not provide labels for First Class letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes), probably because they do not  include tracking. You have to use stamps or go to the PO to mail them.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@wiggi-1 wrote:

I see a new option to use a large first class envelope to ship. However, when I click on the label, there is no option to buy. I've called Ebay 3 times and every time I get a new answer that makes no sense. help.

Three different CS reps all giving 3 different answers on what should be simple - can you get these calls reviewed elizabeth@ebay kyle@ebay ? Generally speaking, can you also make sure CS has accurate info about First Class Letters and Large Envelope/Flats because this issue is already popping up a lot in the last couple weeks since eBay updated shipping services.

You received accurate info from nobodys-perfect @wiggi-1 . eBay gives sellers a convenient option to set up their listings with the service, but because it's untracked you cannot buy labels for the service through eBay. Use stamps, print labels with a stamps.com account, or buy postage at the post office. Because it's untracked you will have no protection on a non-receipt claim, but most buyers are honest. Make sure your packages physically adhere to USPS guidelines if you're using that service.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you!! Best answer yet. My next question is why would Ebay even put up an un-trackable shipping option that would, in the long run, ding us on our performance as sellers?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Because some sellers do just fine shipping their items as untracked First Class letters and flats. They just will never be eligible for TRS status.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm late to this thread, but I am a new seller and I have encountered an issue with this envelope option as well. 

First, when I am listing the item's shipping dimensions as a first class envelope, what do I enter for "thickness". I can only put a zero or a one. So I chose zero. 

The estimated cost was still half the cost of a 4oz box using ground service. 

However when the item was purchased I was told it would cost me double the estimated amount, even though the info I entered was the same as my original listing. 

I pretty much ended up purchasing a label that would be used for a small 4oz package using ground service. Even though it weighed 2oz and was in a small envelope. 

What am I doing wrong? Thank you 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The only think wrong is that you are attempting to purchase a label from eBay for your First Class large envelope.  eBay only provides labels for packages.  If you want to mail your item as a first class letter or flat (AKA Large envelope) you can't purchase the postage through eBay; you have to go to the PO or just put stamps on it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This is why EBAY is such an aggravating system. I found they dropped this option when my item sold. The buyer selected first class large envelope and eBay purchase label had only ground advantage, so i had to pay the difference in postage. I would rather they have added $.50 tracking, rather than delete the first class large envelope.  Instead of finding  a solution that would help their customers they chose one that would bring in more profits for eBay.   They should be called greedbay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@learning4 wrote:

.... I found they dropped this option when my item sold. The buyer selected first class large envelope and eBay purchase label had only ground advantage, so i had to pay the difference in postage....  

You didn't have to pay the difference.  You could have mailed your item at the PO or just used stamps rather than upgrading to the Ground Advantage label through eBay.  That's your choice, it's not a trick nor greed on eBay's part.

Your comment about 50 cents for tracking doesn't make any sense, since USPS doesn't offer that service.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply