cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex and dhl import fees japan to usa

Hello, I'm thinking of buying some collectible toys, dolls to be specific from a seller in Japan. The price total is under $200 when all taxes and shipping is combined together. The seller only offers to use fedex or dhl via express at the moment. My main question is, what if any extra charges could I expect to pay from these companies? I've ordered many times from Japan to the usa before, but it was usually through the usps or via ems.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you're talking about whether you'll need to pay any duties or fees on the shipment, the answer is no as long as the total is under $800.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you're talking about whether you'll need to pay any duties or fees on the shipment, the answer is no as long as the total is under $800.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you, I searched practically everywhere on the Fedex and DHL websites, as well as search engines like google without finding a straight answer.

All I could find was a US government article on importing fees, that only covered mail sent through the usps system.

The article did warn though of the possibility of extra fees when using commercial shipping services, so I wanted to double check what I was getting into before buying.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You may owe processing fees to DHL or FedEx.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@ctal1005, most courier companies will charge a brokerage fee for handling the package through customs for you.

You will have to find out from the courier company if they charge a brokerage fee, and how much it will be. My understanding is that it might be on the order of $20, but I don't know if it depends on the value of the item, or if that is a current figure. Nobody here can answer that for you. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you everyone, so far your current responses help somewhat.

I just went digging for answers again on the web recently, with no luck.

I don't necessarily think "Nobody here can answer that for you."  is accurate, it's just a very hard question to answer. There are numerous buyers and sellers in the ebay community, some who may have frequent experience using Fedex and/or DHL for shipping internationally.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

They're probably referring to ebay's Worldwide Shipping Program.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I just bought an $850 item on ebay from Japan to the USA shipped through FedEx... what would the duties and fees be? 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply