cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx & eBaY Rate SCAM - Dimensional Weight

So, when selling larger items I usually use FedEx due to the shipping rates being much lower.  Two times in the last week I get a shipping adjustment email from Fedex/Ebay.  Apparently Fedex is now applying a concept called Dimensional Weight which charges additional shipping for packages that meet a certain size to weight criteria. 

Fine your company your rates BUT heres the scam.  On our listings we put the proper weight/dimensions.  Ebay tells the buyer, your shipping is X.  Buyer pays the shipping price of X.  I purchase a shipping lable for X.  Done right?  NOPE.  a few days later i get that shipping adjustment email for an additional amount of Y.  This adjust ment is NOT small either.  Last time the original shipping was 25 and then the adjustment was 30 bucks more.  The item only cost 50 bucks plus shipping.  

HOW is this fair to a seller?  Ebay should either update their system the show the proper rates.  If ebay cant then they should NOT offer fedex.  How is it legal to charge us one amount for shipping then a week later charge us over double? 

Honest question, is this even legal??

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: FedEx & eBaY Rate SCAM - Dimensional Weight

Dimensional weight is not new in any way.

Fedex is notorious for incorrect dimensional weight surcharges that must be disputed after the fact. Because of this I only ship UPS for large packages.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@guito 

That is not eBay making the adjustments, it is FedEx.

When you get a FedEx label from eBay (or even from your own FedEx account) you don't pay for it immediately.  The price shown is only an estimate.

FedEx is notorious for tacking on extra fees and charges.  And since you are technically using eBay's FedEx account, you cannot easily dispute these charges.

If you are going to use FedEx - open your own account.  Then, at least, you can dispute charges or make claims without a big hassle.

Also - Dimensional Weight is nothing new.  There have always been an additional charge for "oversized" packages from all of the carriers.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/packaging/what-is-dimensional-weight.html

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-dimensions-weight.page#:~:text=Divide%20....

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Parcel-Size-Weight-Fee-Standards

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@guito wrote:

HOW is this fair to a seller?  Ebay should either update their system the show the proper rates.  If ebay cant then they should NOT offer fedex.  How is it legal to charge us one amount for shipping then a week later charge us over double? 

Honest question, is this even legal??

Absouletly you are correct.  This is clearly bait and switch.  eBay does have a disclaimer posted.  It is hard to see, but it is there.  Take a look at the very bottom of this screen shot.  You may need a reading glass to see it.

stephenmorgan_0-1698960585423.png

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There should be a requirement like with other indestries such as Airlines, that all cost are provided up front with no Hidden Fees after the fact.  If you misidentify you package by weight or size then that is you error but the Hidden Fees are pure Bait and Switch.  You did not have this knowledge upfront to make an informed decision.  This is something Congress may have to pass a law to require this.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

This is new to me and i have shipped fedex for larger items for years.  eBay should at least put a LARGE warning about this on the main shippping labels page when we go to purchase.  I stopped using fedex.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

As other members responding have already replied, dimensional/weight calculation is not new to calculation of charges and is also used by UPS and USPS, and probably by other carriers. In correction of what one replying incorrectly claimed, FedEx, UPS, and ebay ARE now charging seller account upon purchase of ebay Labels purchased, calculating from dimensions and weight seller enters. The information about this was prominently visible in an ebay notification message for several days a few weeks ago. And, as ebay has reminded sellers a few weeks ago, FedEx and UPS can and will charge or refund to ebay if a package measures different in dimension or weight than recorded for label purchase, such adjustment to be passed along to seller account. I've never observed USPS to automatically provide any refund for overpayment based on shipper-entered dimension or weight, but I'd be happy to learn if I'm wrong about them. 

In my listings, most of which are set for buyer-paid Calculated shipping cost, I enter estimations of dimensions and weight, most of the time erring on the high side. As I purchase the shipping label after item is packaged, entering actual dimensions and weight, I often click to see the calculated cost with entry of every one of the four numbers for the three dimensions plus weight.  The dimensional factor usually shows same rate for a RANGE of dimensions, while weight more often (not always) affects cost with each weight unit change. This has led me to very occasionally enter a shorter dimension or a 1 lb lighter weight to see the possible effect on cost, especially when cost exceeded what I had expected or received.  In a very few instances, a dramatic decrease in my shipping cost achieved with a small adjustment in dimension or weight has led me to repackage an item. The most dramatic example of this is the difference in cost I saw between shipping via FedEx ground service a 51 lb item vs a 50 lb item. UPS and FedEx apply what I call a penalty charge for exceeding weights that they want their drivers handling, the limits also varying for commercial or residential delivery addresses. Depending on destination, a 50 lb 2 oz item, which would be charged as 51 lb, could cost $65, vs $30 for 50 lb 0 oz. If your weighing scale were off by even 1%, you could occasionally be seeing added charges, which will probably annoy you more than refunds for when you over-estimated and over-paid. 🙂 One other thiing to consider is that you cannot use the dimensions as your boxes were marketed or even as printed on the boxes. I have batch of boxes sold and marked as 20 x 16 x 6 that actually measure a half-inch larger in every dimension, so I have to enter them as 21 x 17 x 7.  By same reasoning, if your box bulges a bit, you need to enter and pay for what the laser measurement on the conveyor will record.

Both your measurements and your ebay charges warrant close scrutiny. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Me too, this is a scam I looked up product sizing and shipping weight and I was on the money tehy charged me an extra 46.00 each for 3 packages so they stole 150 from me and nothing I can do about it, happening with mercari too.  I will not leave fedex until I get them to verify weight and size from now on as FEDEX is a scam along with ebay I have been charged 3 times and I measure and weigh but there is no way to dispute so just out of luck right

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I was just charged an additional $14.57 for a package that I had the weight at 15lbs and they said it weighed 13.9lbs, so I actually overpaid. I spoke with a FedEx rep and he said that I was charged "dimensional weight", huh? It was a medium size box, not oversized at all. He sated that per the dimensions I should and was charged 25lbs, huh? again! I argued with the rep and he said that's final and refused to advance me to a supervisor, then hung up the phone. Obviously useless to call back but I will say that I will NEVER use FedEx again, I will pay more for UPS or USPS because apparently in the long run its more cost effective.

I have sold through eBay for 14 years and shipped many many times through Fedex and was NEVER charged this and I had some very large packages. 

To the point of why would eBay use a company that fools and dupes its own customers? I have no clue, makes no sense to me. Its like going to Walmart and the package says one thing but we get an invoice later saying oh, we charged you more because you were too slow at the self checkout and we have a surcharge for that... unreal!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hello- I would contact Ebay and have it documented and file a dispute. This may be an Ebay and/or Fed X issue and I am hoping they will work together to get it resolved. There are oodles of complaints right now on this in the last 24-48 hours. Everybody is being unfairly charged. It's ridiculous. This should never happen. Thousands and thousands of dollars out of seller's accounts. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Well,   UPS is also hitting me with DIM weight,  3 of the last 10 items I sold!  So it looks like I need to calculate the DIM weight, and attempt to add that to the shipping.... now I wonder if buyers can leave negative rewiews in my feedback for excessive shipping cost, because the DIM weight will exceed ebay's shipping "Calculator"???   Another way to promote shipping from China?  Its cheaper to ship from half way around the world (Do to Univeral Postal Union, treaty- and subidized by US Tax payers) than it is to ship across the street...wow!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes, this just happened to me too for three packages. A charge of ranging about $7 - $12 over what I was told would be charged. And I think this is a new thing, because I haven't had this happen for a long time and have shipped via Fedex quite a bit. I'm glad USPS is offering Ground Advantage now as it keeps me from having to use Fedex as much at this time.

So how would we go about opening a dispute about these charges? I don't mind swallowing what I've just been charged but it would be good to have this problem solved.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

This start to happen to us in the last month and we been shipping for years using all 3 carriers

so far they hit us for 8 packages for around $100 in additional charges.

All our packages measured and weighted and enter correctly .

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I pack and acturately measure and weigh,  rounding up to the nearest pound or inch, prior to listing my packages, so I have acturate shipping charges, using the ebay shipping calculator.  In the last month (March-2004) I have been hit by UPS with 3 out of ten packages for DIM weight, and the excess shipping was double the amount the ebay calculated estimated. So I would say the calculated is flawed, and I will need to calculate DIM weight separately to determine shipping cost.  Now buyers can freely leave negative reviews for excess shipping charges, even though I will be only charging the actual charge to me-no handling, no markup-but exceeding ebay's "calculated rate" .   Another good reason to buy from China, and let American taxpayer's foot the bill (UPU treaty) for "Free Shipping".

Message 14 of 14
latest reply