cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing return policy in a listing

I have just ONE active listing. It is for BIN with Best Offer, for local pick up, cash only. The return policy in the listing is: "returns not accepted". I have a pending offer and am communicating with the potential buyer. I want to change the return policy to accept returns. I tried to revise the listing but am unable to make ANY changes at all.

Is this because I have a pending offer? Or am I doing something wrong?

IF IT IS because I have a pending offer then can I let the offer expire and then make changes?

Am I missing something? I have edited individual listings before with no problem, what gives now?

My concern is having to refund without it being returned, I believe that is a hazard with "returns not accepted" policy. I can think of ways that I CAN STILL be scammed even with local pickup returns accepted, but that is just the way it is I suppose...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Changing return policy in a listing

I am afraid that if the item is picked up for cash, and then the buyer claims SNAD

There is no Money Back Guarantee for cash payments.  So I'd stick with what you have now.

I would assume that the active offer blocks you from revising the listing.  Even eBay should be smart enough to see that makes sense.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure why you can't edit the listing.......

As long as you accept the return & pay for return shipping, ebay won't refund the buyer and let them keep the item. The thing about local pickups are, if the buyer pays through paypal they are covered by the money back guarantee and if they file an snad, you have to pay for return shipping on the local pickup item OR you would have to arrange picking the item up from buyer and this would need to be clearly documented through ebay messages. You can accept CASH when the buyer collects the item & save all of this trouble 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I don't want to pay for return shipping; the item is over 200#. That is why I have local pick up only, as shipping is a hassle and expensive. I am afraid that if the item is picked up for cash, and then the buyer claims SNAD, and I stick to "no returns accepted", that eBay WILL refund the buyer and then CHARGE ME, and will NOT require the item be returned because I have a policy of "not accepting returns"... Buyer gets the money back, buyer keeps the item, and I have nothing. I have lost the item and only broken even on the money.

Do you suggest that if the buyer claims SNAD that I can claim it was unpaid? There would be no proof of delivery. Seems that may be the best way to avoid the item not being returned yet paying the refund.  I figure that I would give the cash back if it IS returned, I'm OK with that to avoid losing completely. I reconsidered my return policy and just don't want to be trapped by not accepting returns. Sad but true.

I'll let the offer expire and try changing the listing then.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@freddysfords If the buyer pays cash they aren’t covered by the money back guarantee. There is NO way they can file an snad and get a refund. That’s why you always want to take cash on local pickups. eBay does not cover cash payments under buyer protection. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I am afraid that if the item is picked up for cash, and then the buyer claims SNAD

There is no Money Back Guarantee for cash payments.  So I'd stick with what you have now.

I would assume that the active offer blocks you from revising the listing.  Even eBay should be smart enough to see that makes sense.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The offer expired and now I am able to revise the entire listing so it seems that eBay is that smart. And, since there is no Money Back Guarantee for a payment in cash, I'll just let the listing remain as it is. Thanks to both of you for clarifying that, I've searched for that info but didn't find it, and I thought I've read here about buyers getting refunded by eBay for items picked up locally, but I figure that must have been when paid with PayPal. I've already refunded a buyer that paid immediately with PayPal even though I made it as clear as possible in the listing. It seems I can't remove the PayPal link in the listing, of course. That buyer then didn't come and pay, so I relisted. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply