cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abusing Not as Described

I had a listing for a new pair of tennis shoes and took pics of it in it's new, unworn condition. That's how I shipped it to the buyer but once they get it they open a "Not as described" case on me claiming the shoes were worn. Later that night he posts pics of the shoes looking like they were worn for the whole day with dirty soles and pet hair inside the shoes. It's a total scam and he's claiming to ebay that that's how I sent it to him. I am arguing right now in the resolution center saying that guy is a liar and he's calling me a liar. What should I do and what usually happens in a case like this? Can this guy leave me negative feedback?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer abusing Not as Described

get ready to refund full payment and pay for return
yes
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@sambruin7 wrote:

What should I do and what usually happens in a case like this? Can this guy leave me negative feedback?

Welcome to the maddening side of eBay selling.  It would appear that the buyer is either doing wardrobing fraud (where they "rent" the item and return it), or switch fraud (where they replace their worn shoes with your new shoes).  Either way, most policies of eBay do not protect you against fraud.  Rather, the policies of eBay force you to refund the money to the buyer ... if you want the shoes back, then you must also pay for return shipping.

If you fight this, there's a high probability of getting punished by eBay with a defect and loss of eBay fees.

My advice is to stop wasting your time talking with eBay's Far East customer service center or the fraudulent buyer, approve the return, wait for the return to come back, and then refund the money.  This way, you will get back your fees from eBay and PayPal, at least. 

Once the return is closed, go back into the returns, select closed returns, find the item, and then report the buyer.  Presumably, multiple reports against a buyer may mean that eBay takes action against the buyer ... never heard of them doing that, but it might happen.

(You can also file a report with the FBI, local police, etc. ... important if this buyer is doing this frequently).

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

What about feedback? Can this guy still leave me negative feedback after I accept the return and refund all his money back?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@sambruin7 wrote:

What about feedback? Can this guy still leave me negative feedback after I accept the return and refund all his money back?

Yes, he can leave bad feedback ... feedback can be removed under certain circumstances via a call to eBay customer service.   Examples when it can be removed is if (a) it has offensive or threatening language, (b) the buyer had previously threatened you with bad feedback unless you did something, or (c) the reason for the feedback is an item not delivered, but tracking shows delivered.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately, you are assuming you're on equal ground here. You're not, you already lost, you just have to decide whether you want to make a hefty partial refund (if it's asked for) or pay for the return shipping and refund in full. No doubt the shoes are worn, they probably wore them, nothing you can do, nothing you can prove and even if you were able to, ebay doesn't care.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I don't even trust ebay anymore. In a previous case they told me the seller that they have my side and not to do anything and that if the buyer leaves negative feedback they'll remove it. None of the stuff they told me was true. Their customer service reps are apparently being told to lie to the sellers and just tell them what they want to hear to get them off the phone. It's just for convenience for them. And then after I find out i lost the case and have to refund the money and also got negative feedback they tell me they can't do anything about it. Bunch of corrupt liars. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This seems to happen all the time. eBay knows it and does nothing , but go through the process anyway, if the return is not the same item or not in the same condition contact customer service and show them pics of the item. Contact local police in buyers city and report internet fraud, contact US postal service inspectors and report mail fraud.. 1-800-275-8777. Maybe in the future they will think twice before trying to pull this scam again.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply