cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usps tracking labels

Hi everyone, 

I've been using paypal to create my shipping label for quite some time now and noticed that a tracking # is already included when you purchase a label. I just bumped into these recently: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/usps-tracking-label-P_LABEL400

Since my local post office has those electronic machines where you can just create a label on your own. Let's say I'm shipping something that's under 4 oz within CA, it would about $1. and a little more to ship, however you would also have to purchase tracking which was about another $2-$3. If I were to purchase a label via paypal, it would be $2.61 for something under 4oz

I was wondering if I could just purchase label via those electronic machines, then slap on one of these tracking labels and will be fine?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

usps tracking labels

You cannot put tracking on a letter or flat.  The eBay price of $2.61 is the cheapest way to mail with tracking.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

No you can't. Letters and flats are not eligible for tracking of any kind. Tracking for packages is FREE.

But I do use Label 400 on small First Class packages when I affix stamps (retail rate) and drop them in the neighborhood collection bin. Ditto for Priority Mail FRE's and the small FRB weighing up to 13 oz. Saves a trip to the PO. Current cost for First Class up to 4 oz. is $3.00 -- the difference of $0.39 between that and the $2.61 commercial rate is negligible and well worth the convenience!

Label 400 is also handy when you use metered postage to mail packages from the office.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

duchess-at-speakeasy wrote: ... Saves a trip to the PO. Current cost for First Class up to 4 oz. is $3.00 -- the difference of $0.39 between that and the $2.61 commercial rate is negligible and well worth the convenience! ... 

I don't understand how paying with stamps and a label 400 is more convenient that printing an online label.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

But I do use Label 400 on small First Class packages when I affix stamps (retail rate) and drop them in the neighborhood collection bin. Ditto for Priority Mail FRE's and the small FRB weighing up to 13 oz. Saves a trip to the PO. Current cost for First Class up to 4 oz. is $3.00 -- the difference of $0.39 between that and the $2.61 commercial rate is negligible and well worth the convenience!

~~C~~

I print my labels at home.  In my jammies.  Put on slippers, maybe, take them to my mailbox.  And I save that "negligible" amount on each parcel, letter and flat.  Or better yet, I schedule the mail carrier to come to my door to pick up my packages.  No weight limit.  No trips to the post office.

Now THAT'S convenience.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

But you could go to the PO in you jammies and slippers.

Here in California it became ok at some point (at least to the jammie wearers) to go to the grocery store and other places in jammies and slippers, so go for it where you are - be a trendsetter.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Here in California it became ok at some point (at least to the jammie wearers) to go to the grocery store and other places in jammies and slippers, so go for it where you are - be a trendsetter.

yup, been that way here at the far corner of the country too.

I'm just too lazy to go farther than my mailbox.  Or front door.  When I don't have to.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Frankly, this is something that I have never been able to do. I sleep in the buff for one and though I'm far from a fashion plate, I would feel so weird leaving the house dressed so sloppy. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

I think it's a totally a generational thing - most born before maybe roughly 1970? care about maintaining some sort of standards, have some respect for authority, etc. The whole "going through those motions is what maintains a civilized society" thing.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

usps tracking labels

Quite possably, I was born in 1960. But then again my daughters (1991-1997) do not normally wear them outside the house either. My oldest has but that was only after a car wreak when her back and hip was messed up.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply