cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping multiple boxes

I am selling something that has to be shipped in 3 boxes that are the same size and weight.  How can I used calculated shipping to charge the buyer in advance for all 3 packages?  I know I can print multiple labels but that does not help me if the buyer has not already paid to ship all 3 boxes.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

shipping multiple boxes

You can't. eBay has no provision for multi-package calculated shipping for a single item.

Best you can do is try to fudge it,  if possible, by working out the range of costs for 1 box, multiply that by 3 to get range of costs for the 3 boxes, then work backwards in the USPS or FedEx or UPS  (you didn't specify what carrier or service you were planning to use) rate tables, to see if there is a fictitious higher weight you can use along with a fixed handling fee that makes the numbers come out in the ballpark.

It rarely works at all, and if planning on offering multiple carriers or multiple services, becomes very messy and very unlikely to be at all usable.

Example:  3ea 14x12x12  5 pound boxes.  USPS Priority Mail. Dimensional weight for zones 5-8 is 14x12x12/194 = 10.39 = 11 lb

zone     1&2        3          4          5           6            7            8
    $        7.41     8.42    9.37    21.54    27.81     33.87     39.76

Those are prices for 1 box, are horrible for zones 5-8 (due to dim weight) and unworkable. Forget Priority Mail and let's try Parcel Select:

zone      1&2          3           4           5            6              7             8
    $        7.41       8.42     9.37      10.65      16.14       18.46      21.02
3 x $    22.23    25.26    28.11      31.95     48.42     55.38     63.06

18lb    14.30    18.30    21.49     31.08     41.74      47.78     55.49

+$8HF 22.30   26.30    29.49    39.98     49.74      55.78    63.49

So using a fictitious weight of 18lb plus an $8 handling fee produces a shipping charge approx equal to the total charge for 3 5 pound boxes, and works pretty well, but is too high by $8 for zone 5 (which is typical - there is something weird about USPS zone 5 rates and this has happened every time  I try this)

Other weights from 10 to 17 pounds with different handling fee can also come close and one may be a bit better (goal is to never undercharge, not overcharge too much, and possibly refund any major overage)

If sizes and weights are higher this gets messier real fast and is less likely to work. Same with FedEx and UPS - much messier due to more difficult calculations and required use of dimensional weight.

That probably didn't help you much laughing

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

shipping multiple boxes

You can't. eBay has no provision for multi-package calculated shipping for a single item.

Best you can do is try to fudge it,  if possible, by working out the range of costs for 1 box, multiply that by 3 to get range of costs for the 3 boxes, then work backwards in the USPS or FedEx or UPS  (you didn't specify what carrier or service you were planning to use) rate tables, to see if there is a fictitious higher weight you can use along with a fixed handling fee that makes the numbers come out in the ballpark.

It rarely works at all, and if planning on offering multiple carriers or multiple services, becomes very messy and very unlikely to be at all usable.

Example:  3ea 14x12x12  5 pound boxes.  USPS Priority Mail. Dimensional weight for zones 5-8 is 14x12x12/194 = 10.39 = 11 lb

zone     1&2        3          4          5           6            7            8
    $        7.41     8.42    9.37    21.54    27.81     33.87     39.76

Those are prices for 1 box, are horrible for zones 5-8 (due to dim weight) and unworkable. Forget Priority Mail and let's try Parcel Select:

zone      1&2          3           4           5            6              7             8
    $        7.41       8.42     9.37      10.65      16.14       18.46      21.02
3 x $    22.23    25.26    28.11      31.95     48.42     55.38     63.06

18lb    14.30    18.30    21.49     31.08     41.74      47.78     55.49

+$8HF 22.30   26.30    29.49    39.98     49.74      55.78    63.49

So using a fictitious weight of 18lb plus an $8 handling fee produces a shipping charge approx equal to the total charge for 3 5 pound boxes, and works pretty well, but is too high by $8 for zone 5 (which is typical - there is something weird about USPS zone 5 rates and this has happened every time  I try this)

Other weights from 10 to 17 pounds with different handling fee can also come close and one may be a bit better (goal is to never undercharge, not overcharge too much, and possibly refund any major overage)

If sizes and weights are higher this gets messier real fast and is less likely to work. Same with FedEx and UPS - much messier due to more difficult calculations and required use of dimensional weight.

That probably didn't help you much laughing

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

Thank you! That is helpful. I just don’t understand why they don’t offer the option to have more than one box. It seems like it would be pretty straightforward to set up on their end. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

Glad it helped (somewhat).

It would be fairly trivial for eBay to insert a qty box and have an option for N multiple copies of same box (just multiply calculated amount by N), and probably quite a bit more work to add (up to 5 maybe?) shipping forms on the listing page for multiple different size/weight packages and adjust all the eBay calculators to use that data.

The eBay label creation flow itself wouldn't need to be touched - seller could just "Print another label" for each pkg after the first (Bulk shipping would require more serious reworking).

Doubtful it will ever happen - probably less than 1 in a 1000 (10,000?) eBay sales involve multiple pkg shipments (I've only done it once as a seller and never as a buyer) , and if it did, I'm sure the code would be broken even worse than it is now.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

It's easier to just ship for free.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

A very common item is stereo loudspeakers - always sold in pairs but very often too large and heavy for shipping in one carton.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

That's no solution
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

If you have an account, UPS allows you to do multiple boxes as one shipment. But you still can't use calculated shipping on eBay to do it.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

shipping multiple boxes

I sell heavy dish sets that are shipped in several boxes.  I weigh the entire set then figure which size boxes each will be. I then input the total weight with the LARGEST size box and add 10 pounds to the total.  

This has been working for me for years.  By adding the 10 pounds it is taking into account the additional weight for each box/packing material etc.  Rarely do I have a variance of a couple dollars either way.  If by chance I over charge the buyer I will just refund the difference.  Happens a handful of times in 10 year.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 9 of 9
latest reply