cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my item was shipped from amazon

I recently bought a bag of kitten food (15 lbs in the description).  A few days later, I received a  7# bag of kitten food from Amazon! The paper in the box said it was a gift, but there was no indication of who sent it.  There was a way to send a thank you which I did (but the name seemed to be gibberish in the salutation).  Since I recently started fostering kittens, I thought someone from the rescue might have sent me the food.

When I researched the word from the Thank you, it turns out it is a name that was used by the seller on ebay a few years ago. I notified the seller that the amount I received wasn't the amount stated in the description, and the seller offered me a few options. (a crazy part of this story is when I tried to look up the description of the item, the page said 7#, not 15#)  My original receipt was available and it showed that the item was 15#.  The seller said this had been a problem - that it was posting as 15# instead of 7#.   We resolved the issue after he offered me some options, but I just wanted another 7# bag to call it even.  Done. (Second bag of kitten food arrived from Amazon, too.)  Amazon is footing the cost of the shipping.

Is this ok for sellers to do? To list an item, close a sale with a buyer, then buy it cheaper on Amazon and have it sent to the buyer? It seems a little sleazy to me, and also a bit fraudulent.

Anyone have any experience with this same thing?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's dropshipping & perfectly ok unless they use prime. Then amazon cares, eBay does not. You gotta shop around, I do.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@jbooklover4244 wrote:

...Amazon is footing the cost of the shipping.

Is this ok for sellers to do? To list an item, close a sale with a buyer, then buy it cheaper on Amazon and have it sent to the buyer? It seems a little sleazy to me, and also a bit fraudulent.

Anyone have any experience with this same thing?

Your footing the cost, not The River. Its called drop shipping and most sellers that try it typically fail big time. There are too many issues out of the sellers control and eBay LOVES to control sellers. I would just recommend buying your food from The River as its typically cheaper.

Hows its done is the seller signs up for Prime on the River and gets free shipping from then on. You can do the same and save money.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

It's dropshipping & perfectly ok unless they use prime. Then amazon cares, eBay does not. You gotta shop around, I do.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

As others have said.... If the seller just used Amazon to drop ship, you didn't shop around.  If it was marked as a gift and shipped from Amazon, they probably used their Amazon Prime account to drop ship.  When sellers do this, I call Amazon and give them the order number and ask them to investigate if an Amazon Prime account was used.  Why do this?  Do I think I'm the moral police?  NOPE NOPE NOPE.  I do this because I have Amazon Prime and I watch my annual fee go from just over $70 to well over $100.  I take a 30% jump in fees really really seriously, and people using their Amazon Prime account to drop ship causes the fees to go up.

My response..... REPORT REPORT REPORT.... to Amazon of course.  You can get their CS number on line, the order number should be on the paperwork you received stating it was a gift.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

OH.... and next time.... shop around.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

What is "drop ship"?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I did shop around!  The price in the listing was cheaper than anywhere on line or in stores. It's because the listing was supposed to be for the medium size bag, but it was listed for the large bag. I ended up with a good deal.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Lots of eBay sellers also sell on Amazon and/or may use the Amazon Fulfillment Services.  That has nothing to do with having an Amazon Prime account. In your case, the "gift" invoice/packing slip suggests that the seller ordered from Amazon directly (not from an "affiliate" vendor) and simply had the item drop-shipped to you.  If the value of the order exceeds $35, Amazon gives "free shipping."  It is also possible that your seller redeemed some Amazon coupons or gift cards.

As an example, I do not have a Prime account but I sometimes buy directly from Amazon, mostly books and CD's.  I always wait until my order totals $35 or more and then also redeem an Amazon coupon.  Sometimes I don't have to pay any actual money!  I get the coupons from various sources, including a couple of "rewards" programs for taking surveys or otherwise earning "points."  Mostly, the stuff I order is for me or a member of my family.

Occasionally, I have filled a web customer order (though not eBay) if drop-shipping helps speed up delivery.  I recall one instance where I had 5 books in stock -- originally purchased from the publisher --  and sold the last one, then got a sixth order the very same day.  Since I only needed a single book, I located the title on Amazon at a competitive price, redeemed a rewards coupon and specified my customer as the recipient.  The resulting packing slip always reads "gift" when the ship-to address is different from the sender's billing address.  The customer got his book quickly, I even made a small profit and the rewards coupon cost me nothing but a few minutes taking online surveys.  The alternative would have been to prepare a 6-book minimum order from the publisher, have the books sent Media Mail or UPS Ground to me, and then finally fill the customer's order about 2 weeks later.

Now, for my own eBay auctions I don't bother with drop-shipping from Amazon or any other source.  I sell mostly pre-owned goods anyway, but I simply prefer to handle my own inventory and shipping to meet a customer's needs.  And sometimes I order things on eBay and have them sent to friends or relatives, either as gifts or on their behalf.  Years ago, one friend asked me to buy as many pieces of a certain glassware pattern as I could find at a decent price.  He gave me a $500 advance and said "go spend it and let me know when you need more money."  I bid and bought on eBay, had the items shipped to whatever address (my friend traveled) and everything worked out beautifully.  

Personally, I refuse to  buy from 3rd-party vendors on Amazon.  I did once -- for an out-of-print book -- and received so many spammy e-mails overthe next

3+ years that I swore I'd never do it again!  I broke that rule just once, but the vendor happened to be the producer of a specialized DVD and he was marketing the product only on Amazon.  Besides, I had met him previously and was present at the original recording session.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Oh well, if you didn't get the right size that's different. You should ask for a return or a partial refund if you got a smaller size. I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a different size. It's been a long day.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

If the box tape or reciept refers to Amazon Prime please report them. They are violating the rules of Amazon and actually stealing from them. A seller who will steal from Amazon will steal from you.

If they didn't use Prime then no harm, no foul.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Beyond this point if you are going to continue fostering consider Amazon subscribe and save.

I started doing this: I My job has me buying 3/4 of a tank of gas every workday. I use my 1.5% cash back card. This I refund with Amazon cards. Not only does this help with my eBook and audiobook addiction but my cat food arrives once a week at my door. Also there is Prime Pantry that often has great deals.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I have had the same thing happen to me! Even after a seller told me to go through thier website to avoid Amazon so I bought from thier website and guess who sent me my items? Of course - Amazon! If what you are buying isn't an auction for a piece os antique glass (for instance) what you bought will be coming Amazon. It does seem EXTREMELY messed up to buy something from a seller who buys it from Amazon cheaper and has Amazon ship it to you, also Amazon must have robots packing because almost everything from them arrives either broken or USED. If I had WANTED to buy from Amazon I would have! Ebay can go now lower as far as I am concerned, remember when Ebay was an AUCTION site?!? Anyone?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Some sellers use Amazon fulfillment to pack and ship their own merchandise, which they warehouse with Amazon.  It doesn't mean that they bought from Amazon in the first place, but it is possible that they could have. 

Don't think every eBay seller does that, but a lot of the big ones do. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

While it does tick me off a bit because I could have looked further and received the item for less money, I don't really blame the seller. It's up to ME to look for cheaper items.

What does bother me is if a seller uses their PRIME membership to ship to me.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Don't forget to Neg your seller here.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply