cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free shipping returns?

Hi we started selling clothing recently and offer free shipping. We try to give the best pictures and descriptions of our items as possible. Recently over the last month there have been alot of returns for item does not fit. We don't.have a big business and we are having to pay the full refund plus our free shipping we lose out on. Any ideas we can do besides like a restocking fee or not offer free shipping that we can do. Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

free shipping returns?

Don't you click "buyer pays return shipping"?
Unless they claim "item not as described", you're clear.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

No, she means she has to eat the loss of the original shipping. I have that too. I still keep free shipping because I find many of my customers like it. You may need to raise your price a bit across the board and Hope to minimize your losses that way.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

Duh...if you offer free shipping, shipping should be included in the price plus a small margin.
How is that losing money?
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

You should not pay for a return of an item that doen't fit.

Buyer should pay to return the item.   Yes, I agree , raise the Price to cover shipping or go back to charging shipping cost.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

If a buyer is returning for " does not fit" the buyer needs to pay the return, not you.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

Also, you can charge a restocking fee.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

You can add a restocking fee to your return policy but thats about it. It MUST be specified on the listing though. I'm not sure what you mean by "full refund plus our free shipping"? A FULL refund is the entire amount the buyer paid. So there is no "plus". Since you don't have a restocking fee, you are refunding the buyers in full. That is something that should have been considered before you decided to offer free shipping; you can't deduct the shipping cost from the refund when you offer free shipping unless you have a stocking fee (and again, the restocking fee has to be specified on the listing).

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

Unless I am having a stroke.... some of the responders are missing that the OP is referring to the cost of FREE return shipping.... a choice a seller can make that allows the buyer to return anything for any reason free of charge. I also have gone to that because I average less then one return a year, something like 0.001%. but doing it with some categories of clothing is VERY brave.... and I also click off free returns for heavy items where profit would be greatly affected by shipping cost.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

@ebbyisme wrote:

Unless I am having a stroke.... some of the responders are missing that the OP is referring to the cost of FREE return shipping.... a choice a seller can make that allows the buyer to return anything for any reason free of charge. I also have gone to that because I average less then one return a year, something like 0.001%. but doing it with some categories of clothing is VERY brave.... and I also click off free returns for heavy items where profit would be greatly affected by shipping cost.

@ebbyisme must be a stoke. The OP doesn't offer free return shipping. Her return policy, on her listings states "buyer pays return shipping". If you read the OP, its clear she's talking about the original shipping cost. The first thing she says is "Hi we started selling clothing recently and offer free shipping.". And at the end, she says "Any ideas we can do besides like a restocking fee or not offer free shipping that we can do.". She's not talking about return shipping 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

free shipping returns?

@missjen316 wrote:

@ebbyisme wrote:

@ebbyisme must be a stoke. The OP doesn't offer free return shipping. Her return policy, on her listings states "buyer pays return shipping". If you read the OP, its clear she's talking about the original shipping cost. The first thing she says is "Hi we started selling clothing recently and offer free shipping.". And at the end, she says "Any ideas we can do besides like a restocking fee or not offer free shipping that we can do.". She's not talking about return shipping 🙂

well that stinks... I don't mind being wrong but having a stroke isn't good, it really isn't.... whoever said,"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" had to be very young and healthy...... The quote should be,"whatever doesn't kill you makes you weaker and more susceptable to predation and disease"

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 11 of 11
latest reply