cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay sides with buyer despite ad images showing scratches on camera...what do I do next?

So I've been selling things off and on for the past 15 years (maybe 4-5 items/year tops), and I finally had a buyer want to return the item for the first time ever recently. 

For this item (a camera), I specifically listed is as scuffed and made sure to display a photograph of the top LCD showing the worst scuffs/scratches. 

A few days after receiving the camera the buyer sent me a photo of the scratches around the top LCD (the same ones I made absolutely certain were visible in the ad photos!), complaining that she never would have bought the camera if she'd known those were there and initiated a return as not matching the description.

I responded by pointing out the image in the original ad that showed those scratches, disclosed other scratches, and indicated that I wasn't open to a return. She then responded with "Hi, my apologies. I did not see the close up photos. Otherwise, I would not have bothered you."

I figured I had a preponderance of evidence on my side, so I went online this weekend and escalated the case and asked for eBay to return my funds and deny the refund.

Well, turns out eBay doesn't care if the item is properly described and the buyer changes their mind, as eBay sided with the buyer! Do I have any recourse? What do I do if they buyer opts to keep the camera and I never receive the item back? At this point, I'm more frustrated that eBay apparently doesn't care about small time sellers than anything else, and I'd hate to be out $450 AND the camera.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay sides with buyer despite ad images showing scratches on camera...what do I do next?

When you asked eBay to step in, they didn't know the buyer had already said nevermind.  It's all run by bots.  As far as the bots are concerned, you didn't offer a resolution to the case so they did it for you.

What you would've had to do is either ask the buyer to close the case or CALL customer service and show them through the messages/listings that the flaws were disclosed in the description and photographed.  They might've manually closed it in your favor.

Now, you are at the mercy of the buyer.  You can ask her to remit payment and hope she does or ask her to ship it back because she has been refunded.  (I'd also offer her a pre-paid label as incentive)   You want someone to fix your mistake so take a kind and humble approach and hope she's responsive.  

If you do get it back and relist it, you need a close up of those scratches - especially on the LED.  Even with zoom, it's hard to see them.  1600 on one side will give a much more detailed zoom.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that and hope for the best.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

OP, hope you get your camera back.

Something I saw on the boards many years ago &it has served me very well.

Take photos as if there is no description.

Describe it as if there are no photos.

I make mention of any & all flaws in my descriptions.

Unfortunately with so many buyers using mobile devices they only look at one photo & barely glance at a description.

However a detailed description will assist you in any dispute.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

As a seller, never ever ever escalate a case through the automatic system. Always call eBay and get someone on the phone and then explain the situation to them and they will read all of the messages. The only think you can do is this point is call them and explain to them what happened. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

What do I do if they buyer opts to keep the camera and I never receive the item back?

Normally,  the buyer is provided with a prepaid mailing label, and only gets his refund if that tracking shows he sent it back to you.  If he fails to return within the time eBay gives him, your funds are supposed to be released to you.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for all the helpful advice! This has certainly been an eye-opening experience.

I'm pleased to relay that the buyer appears to have shipped the camera (or at least something!) back to me yesterday afternoon. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I am happy to hear that something is coming back.  I really hope that it is the camera and it's all good.

From their initial message, they don't sound like a scammer as they appeared to back off from the return due to their not seeing something in the listing.  When you relist, put the flaws "in their face" so that this won't happen again.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply