cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your experience with EBAY STANDARD ENVELOPE

Rough start on my end, not even the supervisor was aware of this. The frontline employee was trying to argue about how I am wrong. Wouldn't even let me explain how this is a brand new service.

It's going to be a rough start. Neither knew how tracking works, is anybody able to provide insight into this? Best guess was sorting machine will auto kick it into gear. But then how is it confirmed delivered. Supervisor said nowhere to scan in that regard.

Fun times, curious of others experiences.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@rebell45 wrote:

Probably works like this service. https://www.letter-track.com/

It relies on automatic machine scans, so no pick up or final delivery conformation.  Better than nothing, I guess.

If it is the same service as described in your link, you are correct, there is nothing to scan at the post office.

When you drop off a letter at the post office, the addresses are read by the machine in the distribution center and based on the address, the machine prints these short lines (distribution barcodes) on the envelopes, which  then a sorter machine reads and sort the envelopes based on the encoded ZIP codes.

In the case of the service shown in your link, you print the distribution barcodes at home, then you apply appropriate postage (i.e. stamps) and drop it in the mail box. There is nothing for the employee to scan. The envelope gets its first scan when it goes thru the distribution barcode sorter. The last machine scan will probably be when the letter arrives at the destination PO. There will be no delivery scan.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

One of the questions that has come up relates to which categories eBay allows sellers to purchase this service: Is it just in the main sports trading cards, or is it also available for card subcategories in more obscure subcategories such as cards within Collectibles?  Which category did you list in? (Sorry I don't have an answer for your actual question, I agree we'll have to wait and see if sorting centers recognize it.)

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

It relies on automatic machine scans, so no pick up or final delivery conformation.  Better than nothing, I guess.

@rebell45 wrote:

If it is the same service as described in your link, you are correct, there is nothing to scan at the post office.

When you drop off a letter at the post office, the addresses are read by the machine in the distribution center and based on the address, the machine prints these short lines (distribution barcodes) on the envelopes, which  then a sorter machine reads and sort the envelopes based on the encoded ZIP codes.

In the case of the service shown in your link, you print the distribution barcodes at home, then you apply appropriate postage (i.e. stamps) and drop it in the mail box. There is nothing for the employee to scan. The envelope gets its first scan when it goes thru the distribution barcode sorter. The last machine scan will probably be when the letter arrives at the destination PO. There will be no delivery scan.

Message 4 of 77
latest reply

What was explained to me in one of those weekly chats - this is for trading cards only with no plans to expand it to other cards.  I couldn't even get a name or department that I could lobby for expansion of the program to other 'cards' like postcards.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

Definitely seems cards in general. We deal Pokemon exclusively and it applies there.

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

Thank you both. This is definitely what is happening combined with the conversation I had today. Much appreciated.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

@pokemoncatches wrote:

Definitely seems cards in general. We deal Pokemon exclusively and it applies there.

Have you actually purchased the postage? Or just set up a listing that offers it?

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

What was explained to me in one of those weekly chats - this is for trading cards only with no plans to expand it to other cards.  I couldn't even get a name or department that I could lobby for expansion of the program to other 'cards' like postcards.

That is inconsistent with the Help page which clearly states that expansion is planned:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-standard-envelope.html

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.50.01 PM.png

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

Just sold some single cards and print several new postage. There are some lines above the buy's name and address. Each postage are different, so I believe that's the "bar code". These code still need scan then can be track.  So, can I just drop it to mailbox like normal letter, or have to give to post office employee for scan.

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

You can just put it in the mailbox, this service does not rely on manual scans, the scanning is done automatically by the postal equipment. It uses the images of letter mailpieces that are taken automatically, and are what the USPS uses to support it's Informed Delivery service.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

@martin2001 wrote:

@rebell45 wrote:

According to the information in the link, the last scan will be the "Out for delivery" scan. If it offers any proof of delivery, it will probably be a scan/image of the letter mailpiece, the same as USPS puts into your Informed Delivery account on their website, when a letter goes out for delivery now.

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

I can't even get to the choice to ship like this. Is it supposed to show up in the dropdown when you are listing and choosing your shipping policy ?

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

@lacemaker3 

Thanks for your replies!

Any idea how this new "tracking" differs from Label 400?

The key concern with Label 400 is that the tracking only shows ZIP CODE where item was delivered and as such is ripe for massive scam as seller has no real proof of delivery to the address on the order.

Does not seem like this new label has a GPS scan at the location of delivery?  If not, has eBay altered its policies on what constitutes  "delivered?" Or just for this method it assumes "out for delivery" is equal to delivered?

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

Majority of my orders are sent as a letter with a post stamp. So it does not have a tracking number. In July I became a Top Rated, and before that and after I was using just a letter and post stamp to send my orders at that time did not affect my seller performance. Now last two months that affect my seller performance a lot. I was able to select shipping methods for USPS First Class Mail and the cost of that was $0.55. Now there is no such an option for that when I look into the shipping method for my listings. 

Message 15 of 77
latest reply