cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You must select a return period which is supported

Why do I keep getting these notices when I list something?  When I list is still lets me select 14 day but ebay seems to want me to select 30 day returns...Must I?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/simplified-returns.html

Free 30-day returns are required for all categories to be eligible for the Top Rated Plus seal. However, there are exceptions in select categories to receive the Top Rated Plus discount.

You are not required to offer free 30-day returns in the following categories to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus discounts. However, you are required to offer 30-day returns in these categories.

Parts & Accessories
Musical Instruments & Gear
Listings with Freight Shipping Specified
Media
You are required to offer free 14-day returns in products in Collectibles & Art categories—which include these sub-categories—to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus discounts:

Antiques
Art
Coins & Paper Money
Collectibles
Collectible Comics
Entertainment Memorabilia
Pottery & Glass
Sports Memorabilia, Fan Shop & Sports Cards
Stamps
You are not required to offer returns in these categories to receive Top Rated Plus discounts. We will expand this exception to include the following categories:

Prepaid Phone Cards
Virtual Currency
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Unless you are selling in one of the few exempt categories you must either choose 30-day 60-day or no returns
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Lazy coding. If you see 14 in the dropdown, ignore, you can't use it.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

This is the stupidest policy yet from eBay. If you opt for no returns, that takes you out of the top seller categories, which can reduce your item's returns on search results, according to what I've read. A return of 30 days or more is ridiculous notion for items like clothes, books, and records that could be worn once or twice, read, or listened to in 30 days then returned by the buyer. At the seller's expense of costs and handling.  There is no more 14-day option in any listings I have. I will gladly accept returns within the previous eBay suggested time of 14 days.

Yet another eBay policy driving me from the site.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

On eBay's Return Policies for 2018

I have been an enthusiastic eBay user and supporter for many years, although I am not in the almost facetious TOP RATED SELLER category for having sold a gazillion items. I say facetious because it is almost laughable how many of these sellers have feedback ratings that stink, that sell hundreds of thousands of items (my favorite category books) that are moldy, torn, useless, worthless, written in, and much more, giving only the most deplorable of listing conditions and nothing is done about it, because they contstantly use the non-existent bookseller's term - "Acceptable."  They and others like them sell lots of stuff. Make lots of money for themselves and for eBay's profits. But the small seller of (books for instance), items that many take pains to make honest descriptions of, and often get little profit on, get stuck in this Unacceptable mire of forced 30-day returns policy, which eBay has implemented with strings attached.

I am very sorry, several times before I changed every one of my listings (tediously) to suit eBay's perogatives, but until eBay removes the 14-day choice, across the board for all listings, without exceptions, I cannot honor eBay's request to sell at a 30-day (free?) returns for books or possibly any of my items. Has anyone ever gone to an auction where buyer's returns are allowed at all, even for thousands of dollars on legitimate sales? Two weeks is an honest return policy for most items. 30 days returns for many small items, especially used items, is an almost dishonest recommendation. I would think it's totally dishonest and totally Unacceptable.

Over the years I have avoided selling through eBay's competitors and wish to stay with eBay. But if eBay punishes me, what choices do I have? I can live with eBay's intervening between buyer's and seller's which is often necessary as all reasonable people know. That is fair. Removing the 14-day return policy is dishonest for an on-line auction even if it is not criminal. A fool would rather quarrel with a brother fool but would avoid quarreling with one honest man, because the honest person cannot be either fooled or bribed. Sorry, eBay, I have had all the fond attachment I can give without something in return.

Dominic

USN Seabee Vietnam Veteran 1965-1969

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I was thinking about beginning to sell, but all the recent changes are making me think twice.  I do not want a buyer to have 30 days to play with my item, wear it, use it, destroy it, then on day 29 decide they don't want it.  14 days is more than sufficient, and I don't care about top seller ratings.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I agree - why give the buyer 30 days to wear, destroy or whatever to the item and then return it. I have collectible magazines that is still saying I need to pick 30 days returns. No where in this world can you return a magazine. You buy it you keep it. I now changed all my books and magazines to no returns. This is so ridiculous its not funny. This is an auction site not Amazon or a store that does give you a 30 day exchange policy. I also have clothes. If you don't like it - it doesn't fit or whatever the reason it does not take 30 days to figure it out. I really think Ebay is out of control on this one and its going to take EVERYONE to complain before anything is done
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I too think it is ridiculous to be forced into offering a 30 day return policy. I am fortunate enough that the main category I sell in I can still offer 30 day buyer paid and be eligible to receive the TRS + badge on listings but why should I be forced into 30 days? Previously I offered 14 which was more than sufficient for a live plant. Anything over that is providing the buyer time to possibly kill it and then claim INAD to ensure I pay return shipping as well.

However it doesn't matter how many people come to these boards and complain, eBay simply doesn't care. They aren't out a dime by the policies they set, the seller's are! If you could get enough seller's on board to put their shops on vacation, hiding their listings, and actually effecting eBay's bottom line then, and only then, may you get their attention. If thousands of seller's would all ban together and simply refuse to sell basically going on strike then eBay wouldn't be making any money and I'm sure that would grab their attention as buyer's would have to go elsewhere lol. See who is more important then, the buyer or the seller since they pander to nothing but buyers.

I recently had a woman open a case as INAD and once I pointed out that her claim was frivolous because within the 1st sentence of my listing description it stated she would only receive 1 she admitted she didn't even read the description yet eBay still sided with her forcing me to provided the return label, which she has yet to print and ship my plant back to me. It was a brand new account, I think created to circumvent a block I had on her, and once I stated that I open all returns at the post office with my post master and empty packages and/or incorrect items would result in a mail fraud case seems she has changed her mind about trying to rip me off lol. Was my 1st INAD return case but I was astonished eBay would allow it to remain as such with her admitting it was her fault she didn't bother properly reading the listing! They have made it entirely too easy for buyer's to scam seller's. They don't even care what the buyer writes in the comments, they could write something completly irrelevant and eBay would still force the return at the cost of the seller!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@plantaddict wrote:

... I am fortunate enough that the main category I sell in I can still offer 30 day buyer paid and be eligible to receive the TRS + badge on listings but why should I be forced into 30 days?

Have I completely misread the update concerning the TRSplus requirements?   So those exempted categories can offer either 14 or 30 day returns, and they do not have to be free?   I thought even the 14 day return had to be free to get the discount.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@plantaddict wrote:

... I am fortunate enough that the main category I sell in I can still offer 30 day buyer paid and be eligible to receive the TRS + badge on listings but why should I be forced into 30 days?

Have I completely misread the update concerning the TRSplus requirements?   So those exempted categories can offer either 14 or 30 day returns, and they do not have to be free?   I thought even the 14 day return had to be free to get the discount.

No. I believe that seller is in for a rude awakening when he gets charged the full FVF 😉

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@plantaddict wrote:

No. I believe that seller is in for a rude awakening when he gets charged the full FVF 😉

Thanks Jen, I have read those links several times on "Simple Returns" and frankly, they aren't clear or too simple.  After reading this, I thought I had messed up my listings since most are in the collectible category.

Is it correct that if I offer 14 day returns I still need to offer free returns for my listings to qualify for the discount?  I have 14 day returns on some of mine now, but put buyer pays for the return, so I assumed no discount for me.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@plantaddict wrote:

Thanks Jen, I have read those links several times on "Simple Returns" and frankly, they aren't clear or too simple.  After reading this, I thought I had messed up my listings since most are in the collectible category.

Is it correct that if I offer 14 day returns I still need to offer free returns for my listings to qualify for the discount?  I have 14 day returns on some of mine now, but put buyer pays for the return, so I assumed no discount for me.

Yes that’s correct. You have to offer free returns in order to get the discount. Even in the categories still allowing 14 day returns, you have to offer free returns. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

So then I have mis-read and been told wrong because when reading the seller update this is what I saw:

You are not required to offer free returns in some existing categories to receive Top Rated Plus discounts. We will expand this exception to include the following categories:

• Prepaid Phone Cards
  • Virtual Currency

And when you click the link and get taken to the "existing categories" this is what is wrote:

As a Top Rated Seller, you can qualify for these exclusive Top Rated Plus benefits if you offer same or 1-business-day handling time and 30-day or longer free returns:

• The Top Rated Plus seal will be displayed prominently in search results and in the listing description
  • A 10% discount will be applied to final value fees (this applies to the final item price only, not to shipping costs)

In some product categories, we'll extend the discount benefit (but not the seal) even if you don't offer 30-day free returns. We've outlined the return specifications on such exceptions below:

• In most Collectibles & Art categories, you need to offer 14-day free returns
  • When you use freight shipping or sell items in the following categories, you need to offer 30-day or longer returns, but the buyer pays for return shipping:
    • Books
    • DVDs & Movies
    • Motors > Automotive Tools & Supplies
    • Motors > Parts & Accessories
    • Music
    • Musical Instruments & Gear
  • You don't have to accept returns for these categories:
    • Business & Industrial
    • Cell Phones, Smart Watches & Accessories > Cell Phone Cards & SIM Cards > Cell Phone SIM Cards
    • Coins & Paper Money > Bullion
    • Coins & Paper Money > Virtual Currency
    • Computers, Tablets & Network Hardware > Computer Printers, Scanners & Supplies > Printer Ink, Toner & Paper > Printer Ink Cartridges
    • Computers, Tablets & Network Hardware > Computer Printers, Scanners & Supplies > Printer Ink, Toner & Paper > Printer Toner Cartridges
    • Computers, Tablets & Network Hardware > Computer Software
    • Gift Cards & Coupons
    • Home & Garden > Food & Beverages
    • Home & Garden > Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living > Plants, Seeds & Bulbs > Plants & Seedlings
    • Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Food & Treats
    • Pet Supplies > Cat Supplies > Cat Food
    • Pet Supplies > Dog Supplies > Dog Food
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Coral & Live Rock
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Food
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Fish
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Invertebrates
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Plants
    • Pet Supplies > Small Animal Supplies > Small Animal Food
    • Sporting Goods > Fishing > Baits, Lures & Flies > Live Bait
    • Tickets & Experiences

My main category being Home & Garden. So am I incorrect that the seal won't be displayed on those listings but yet I would still receive the discount?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I will forgo the TRS badge and discount and make all my listings "No Returns".  Ebay will not strong arm me into conforming to their idea of an ideal seller.  I'm not a newbie, I started selling on ebay in 1999 and had over 30,000 transactions on another ID.  When ebay started charging fees on the shipping money, I closed all my stores and IDs.  I was soooo fed up with their intrusions and out of the blue fees.  I was primarily a vintage clothing dealer.  You can not imagine the damage a person can do to a vintage dress in 30 days!  Nope, I'll just do no returns, but will work with a buyers if they have a legitimate cause. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply