cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am i supposed to god **bleep** do? 1st time return fraud experience.

Simply put i have sold a nintendo bundle of games last week. He has filed a return for defective product. I easily accepted knowing once i get it back i can resell it easily. So today it has delivered back to me though it was not shipped back as i have shipped it. It was packed tightly in a styrofoam case wih a lid to hold the games securely. He returned the game bundle loose in a a huge box without the lid to the box i have shipped it in and moving all over the place. Worse comes to worse. He took 3 of the games in the bundle of highest value and returned broken ones with ripped sticker covers. So what the hell am i supposed to do as this is my first time facing a return fraud scam. I am not prepared as everything i put online is owned by me and only in the best conditions as listed. I live up to the name i have created on ebay with flawless track until today.  No way am i gonna allow him to steal from me so i need some support and what to do. thanks

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Issue a full refund. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I have a good idea of which 3 games the buyer replaced with broken cases & labels. Anyway, ebay expects you to refund the buyer within 2 days. If you refuse, ebay will take funds from your Paypal account and also a strike on your account. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@pristinecondition1 wrote:

Simply put i have sold a nintendo bundle of games last week. He has filed a return for defective product. I easily accepted knowing once i get it back i can resell it easily. So today it has delivered back to me though it was not shipped back as i have shipped it. It was packed tightly in a styrofoam case wih a lid to hold the games securely. He returned the game bundle loose in a a huge box without the lid to the box i have shipped it in and moving all over the place. Worse comes to worse. He took 3 of the games in the bundle of highest value and returned broken ones with ripped sticker covers. So what the hell am i supposed to do as this is my first time facing a return fraud scam. I am not prepared as everything i put online is owned by me and only in the best conditions as listed. I live up to the name i have created on ebay with flawless track until today.  No way am i gonna allow him to steal from me so i need some support and what to do. thanks

Clearly document what was shipped and what was returned.

File a mail fraud case with USPS.

File a fraud case with ic3.gov

File a police report with your local police and have a copy sent to the buyer's PO as well.  Insist you need this for insurance if they don't want to.

Report the buyer to eBay and appeal the return.  Upload all the above reports and you may get a courtesy refund.  

All the above gets the buyer on the radar and if they are a reported enought times as a repeat offender they will eventually have an unpleasant set of visitors.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I had a buyer buy a baseball cap, then ask to return it.

He returned a dog leash. I took pictures of the package and the leash and escalated the return. eBay found in my favor and declined the refund. He then filed for a return through Paypal. Paypal saw what happened on eBay and also denied it.

Despite those who will say you have no protection, I have been successful in refuting several fraudulent returns. Take that s hope/proof it can be done.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

It's good that you won your case, but I wonder why you were able to win when so many others don't.

For all anyone at eBay knows you were showing them a photo of a dog leash you had around the house. Your picture in no way proved that you were showing them what the buyer actually returned, and yet you won. Perhaps your buyer had a bad track record, which is why it is always a good idea to report scams.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I just won this case, *can finally breathe*. I had to show the pictures of the return shipping condition of the box as the buyer shipped it to me and the 3 games that were stolen and replaced. The issue was than resolved within an hour after i posted those info. I called to make an appeal/claim after the system decided to accept the refund automatically. Glad it has worked well for me. Ebay is getting scary with each sale.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

The 3 games were both super mario brothers 3 and super mario bros/duck hunt.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@pristinecondition1 wrote:

I just won this case, *can finally breathe*. I had to show the pictures of the return shipping condition of the box as the buyer shipped it to me and the 3 games that were stolen and replaced. The issue was than resolved within an hour after i posted those info. I called to make an appeal/claim after the system decided to accept the refund automatically. Glad it has worked well for me. Ebay is getting scary with each sale.

You didn’t actually win. The buyer did. Because they still got their money back from you. You got your money back from eBay. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@kitschy*loot wrote:

It's good that you won your case, but I wonder why you were able to win when so many others don't.

For all anyone at eBay knows you were showing them a photo of a dog leash you had around the house. Your picture in no way proved that you were showing them what the buyer actually returned, and yet you won. Perhaps your buyer had a bad track record, which is why it is always a good idea to report scams.

For every 1 seller that says he won a case, there are at least 10 others that lost a case.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

As others have said - it may be this buyer was already on the "radar" from other sellers reporting and they tried to go to to well one too many times.

If so, it's even possible the buyer has now lost their ebay buyer protection.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

The other posters are probably correct that the buyer got his money back.  What eBay gave you was a courtesy refund.  Ultimately  I don't care where the money comes from as long as I get my funds back.  I have received courtesy refunds in the past as well both as a buyer and seller.  It absolutely disgusts me that buyers can do such terrible things as get away with it.   Perhaps one day someone would come up with a good solution for these disputes such as an independent mediation panel that reviews these cases  on appeal so that buyers and sellers have a fair and impartial alternative.  eBay isn't impartial because they are only interested in their bottom line and money they get from transactions.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

"You didn’t actually win. The buyer did. Because they still got their money back from you. You got your money back from eBay. "

actually, the buyer's 'win' will be short-lived now that he is on their radar. 😛

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

The other posters are probably correct that the buyer got his money back.  What eBay gave you was a courtesy refund.  Ultimately  I don't care where the money comes from as long as I get my funds back.  I have received courtesy refunds in the past as well both as a buyer and seller.  It absolutely disgusts me that buyers can do such terrible things as get away with it.   Perhaps one day someone would come up with a good solution for these disputes such as an independent mediation panel that reviews these cases  on appeal so that buyers and sellers have a fair and impartial alternative.  eBay isn't impartial because they are only interested in their bottom line and money they get from transactions.

if it is a high-cost item, spend the money and use a pack-and-ship provider.   both ups and fedex offer that service...along with several private firms.

the fedex stores have told me that they will take personal responsibility for the items being delivered safely and will stand behind the contents and condition.  now, i have not ever had the misfortune of testing it...but i have purposely used those services and have been told every time i use one of those places to pack for me, that it's true.  no matter what, you can get them involved with any dispute, and they have their reputation at stake then, too.

for lower-cost products, it obviously is not cost-feasible to use those services.  but, for the higher-value items, it provides a 3rd-party witness.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

For example what if you were shipping a $12,000 Hermes Birkin handbag would you trust them to pack it and get it there safely?

Message 15 of 20
latest reply