cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW! FedEx rates with 80% discount. Who knew?

I ship a lot from here in SC to the West coast. It's expensive from one coast to the other. I lose on some items, but charge enough shipping overall to even it out. Today I had a package that was going to cost me $23.50 to ship to CA priority mail. 5# 15 oz.  Too large for flat rate env, box, etc.  Comparing other vendors, I looked to see if I could do better.  FedEx was only $12.50. 80% DISCOUNT.  I couldn't believe it. In the past there was no way I could ship FedEx and do better than Priority Mail.  I saved something like $58 on that package over the regular FedEx rates. 

I read where EBAY was offering FedEx discounts, but 80% ? Anyone else doing this?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Do you mean a 6 lb package by 2 day or priority ? Not clear

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Yes. 5# 15oz. pkg that would cost me $23.50+ if I shipped it Priority mail , but only $12.50 Fed Ex 2 Day.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@bill.purvis2012 wrote:

Yes. 5# 15oz. pkg that would cost me $23.50+ if I shipped it Priority mail , but only $12.50 Fed Ex 2 Day.

I've noticed that as well.  I'm trying to get a handle on the break-points of where Priority Mail is much more expensive than FedEx 2-day.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Sounds like we have competition again with the mailing services , please let us all know what you find out, thanks have a great week!! xmenmarvels
Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Fed Ex real rates hit your end-of-month billing, so we'll see just how much you 'really' saved. Many have written in the recent past that .............   "the 'system' said it was $10 to ship, but I was then billed $40" etc.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@bill.purvis2012 

I've been working on pricing files with the USPS update, and then go in and find optimum points where FedEx is cheaper ... here's what I found:

If a package is under 10 pounds (actual or dimensional), then eBay is selling FedEx 2-day labels for a single price for the Continental US, regardless of zone.  So, for example, a 5 pound package is $13.11 for Zone 2 ... and it is $13.11 for Zone 8.  Zones 9-12 (e.g., Alaska, Hawaii, etc) seem to have expected pricing.

That's crazy cheap to Zone 8.  I know eBay negotiated some discounts with FedEx, but that is so low that it has to be an error.

So what to do?  Is it correct and we celebrate?  Is it an error that we benefit from until it is discovered?  Is it an error that we'll get hit with one of those bend-over-FedEx-up-charges comes on our monthly bill?

I don't know about you, but that last question is more likely than not - we'll likely get nailed on the billing - so I'm going to ask an eBay mod to tell us whether or not that purple text is correct or an eBay error.

So .... brian@ebay is it true?

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

$13.11 is the rate shown for either a package or for a large envelope.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

It might be true because back in the early 1990s UPS had a similar program where the price of shipping a package was the same regardless of where it went in lower 48 states for volume shippers. They had different tiers depending on how packages you sent per month. The more you shipped the lower the per package price got.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

I looked at the EBAY shipping calculator and it gives the FedEx rates and the savings is 80%. $13.63 to Los Angeles from SC. Flat rate of $13.63 to any zone in US. The actual cost would have been $71.  

This is just too good to be true, but it appears to be something EBAY is offering.  

This is a big deal.  I've always shipped Priority. But, this is even better on items to far away zones where I'm paying high USPS rates. 

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@bill.purvis2012 

I've been working on pricing files with the USPS update, and then go in and find optimum points where FedEx is cheaper ... here's what I found:

If a package is under 10 pounds (actual or dimensional), then eBay is selling FedEx 2-day labels for a single price for the Continental US, regardless of zone.  So, for example, a 5 pound package is $13.11 for Zone 2 ... and it is $13.11 for Zone 8.  Zones 9-12 (e.g., Alaska, Hawaii, etc) seem to have expected pricing.

That's crazy cheap to Zone 8.  I know eBay negotiated some discounts with FedEx, but that is so low that it has to be an error.

So what to do?  Is it correct and we celebrate?  Is it an error that we benefit from until it is discovered?  Is it an error that we'll get hit with one of those bend-over-FedEx-up-charges comes on our monthly bill?

I don't know about you, but that last question is more likely than not - we'll likely get nailed on the billing - so I'm going to ask an eBay mod to tell us whether or not that purple text is correct or an eBay error.

I humbly point out that *I* posed the question to Jordan Sweetnam about eBay matching the deals FedEx has with Mercari.  hehehehehe.

This isn't quite as good, but it's close., the deal eBay got is for either actual or DIMENSIONAL, so 12x12x10 ships cheap 2-day, but 12x12x12 does not!  Mercari's deal is for actual weight.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Yes. You're right. It is dimensional. So, size matters.  But, well worth checking out as you ship to those far away zones like I do.  Some work boots, shoes that I sell cost me $18+ to ship to some zones in CA, WA, NV, . This is a good savings for sellers like me.  

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

From what I've 'heard', FedEx changed its pricing structure to make up for its break up with Amazon.

also, here is ebay's anouncement>

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Lower-FedEx-rates-are-effective-today-FedEx-UPS-a...

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@bill.purvis2012 

Hi @orangehound, to my understanding these lower rates are correct. The link @stuff4divas shared goes over the announcement regarding these lower FedEx rates on eBay. If you do see any changes to the rates being charged then please let me know! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

brian@ebay 

So you are confirming that sellers will not get blindsided at the end of the month billing cycle with extra up-charges? And if this happens, eBay will make it right with the affected seller? Correct? Cool! Sweet! Thanks to you and whomever else is responsible for this good news. It's overdue that sellers' get a break somewhere...

If this is not what you mean, and I (we) are getting overly optimistic, please clarify.

I appreciate you!

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 15 of 41
latest reply