cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Signature Confirmation Problem

Trying to keep this simple.  I sold an item for $295 and got signature confirmation.  The post office delivered the item but it says "DELIVERED LEFT WITH INDIVIDUAL".  The buyer claims they never got the package and is freaking out.

Ebay told me it's out of my hands and that I am not at fault, however I feel bad for the buyer, I told them to contact USPS to see if they can help.

Anyone have any other advice or had experience with this?

thank you!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I wouldn't do anything.

Why did you waste your money on Signature Confirmation?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Yep going by USPS delivery confirmation is all fine and good PROVIDED they deliver to the right house.  My aunt is dealing with this right now and her item was dropshipped from Amazon by the Ebay seller so she is REALLY up a creek with no way to make it right.  She can only hope the PO jumps in and gets the package back and delivers it on.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Yep going by USPS delivery confirmation is all fine and good PROVIDED they deliver to the right house. ...

But in this case, the seller paid for Signature Confirmation and the carrier didn't get a signature.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Either you or the buyer can contact USPS and ask for a copy of the signature and the address at which the package was delivered.

USPS uses GPS technology to pinpoint exactly where the delivery occurred. It is very possible that the "individual" signed for the package . . . maybe a neighbor, building manager or anyone at any address within the zip code.

As the sender, you are best equipped to describe the package to the destination PO's personnel. In turn, they can ask the mail carrier if he/she recalls the package and can describe the person who accepted it.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

duchess-at-speakeasy wrote: ... It is very possible that the "individual" signed for the package . . .

"Delivered left with individual" is a regular delivery scan.  With a Signature Confirmation, you'd see a comment about the signature, including the name of the person who signed, not "individual."

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 7.01.21 PM.png

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Typically with items over $200 I do it....really as customer service for the buyer...I've never had something like this happen before.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Yes, I am going to contact USPS tomorrow and see if there's anything I can do to help the buyer, I just feel awful about it because it was a high end item.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I recently had an item delivered that required signature conf (not over $700) that the Seller requested - I believe that the seller was trying to make sure that I received it.  I waited for the mail that day and signed although the carrier said that "I was just going to sign it for you," nice for me not so nice for the seller. 

I would contact the PO and ask the signature since you paid for it and see what they say.  You know that you did the right thing, it was the PO carrier that dropped the ball (maybe) 😞

Good luck!

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

Yep going by USPS delivery confirmation is all fine and good PROVIDED they deliver to the right house. ...

But in this case, the seller paid for Signature Confirmation and the carrier didn't get a signature.

Or in my aunt's case got a signature from a person at the wrong house!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

"Typically with items over $200 I do it....really as customer service for the buyer"

Adding Signature Confirmation for a package under $750 is not good customer service.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Thought i was just follow up.  The buyer went to the post office and they were able to determine that the package was delivered to the wrong house (signature was given...chicken scratch!).  Anyway, the carrier was able to get the package and deliver it to the customer...thank goodness!!!  Problem solved!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@blueapples_22 wrote:

Thought i was just follow up.  The buyer went to the post office and they were able to determine that the package was delivered to the wrong house (signature was given...chicken scratch!).  Anyway, the carrier was able to get the package and deliver it to the customer...thank goodness!!!  Problem solved!

That is what the PO says they can do for my aunt but Im not sure if they havent tried yet or they tried and the resident claims they dont have it or what but the PO hasnt retrieved and redelivered to her yet and she is getting torqued.  She may end up filing a theft report (they have the package and KNOW THEY didnt order expensive boots) or getting Paypal involved.  See kids, this is why YOU DONT DROPSHIP FROM AMAZON!!!

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

BLUE..

Thank goodness  the PO   came to your rescue---and helped the buyer too!Smiley Very Happy   Smiley IndifferentIt is   really  good to  hear   they may now have  the  technology  to  do  so. 

For future high-priced items  that you  ship,  just buy standard  Tracking.  Signature  Confirmation  is only necessary  for WAY high  items---$750 or more. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

BLUE..

Another poster on  this  Thread  said that sending  alll   items of  $200  or more with Sig. Confirmation--is  bad  service on  your part.    And for many customers--that happens  to   be  true,  If the buyer is  away  from  home most of  the time,  during the day (for example he has  a  full  time  day job)  that means  the  buyer will  almost  certainly  get  stuck  making a  special  trip  to  the  PO--just to  retrieve your package.    Many buyers  will  be  very annoyed at  having to  do  that.  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 26
latest reply