cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Insurance Claim Denied, Appeal Under Review

Item sold for $499.99. I insured for $400 to cover cost of item to me and take on some risk to save on postage. Item was damaged in transit despite packing like a tank. Never had an issue before after having mailed at least 100 of these. 

Anyway, initial claim was denied. I have filed an appeal. All documentation asked for has been given. Any advice? What are your experiences with USPS insurance claims?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I too pack like a tank. I never sold a high cost item like this on eBay, nor have i ever had a claim with a carrier, but most that i see here are denied due to "poor packing" , so unless your box got run over with a forklift, USPS will make this claim.  I wish you the best on your appeal. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

If it was packed like a tank, was the package also heavily damaged?

Or was the reason for the denial something other than "poor packing"?  If it was the Sports Illustrated, I could see USPS debating the value.

My limited experience has been that USPS has been very reasonable with claims.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

USPS has packing guidelines,if you did not pack according to its guideline,your claim could be denied.

For that kind of money $400,USPS will do its darn best to deny,deny ,deny

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Yep, Been there, another high ticket item also.
Remember, even with USPS, insurance is insurance, paying out claims can be a fight! Be prepared to stand your ground firmly, including reminding them you may need to bring an attorney on board.
I once began a phone call with the insurance rep.,  "Also since you reserve the right to record this conversation, I do too". (I did).
I kept audio files of all calls with insurance reps.

I also began a phone call with, "Before we start, would you please tell me YOUR definition of 'Insurance'?".
You'll have a pause on the other end. Let them try to answer. Follow up with your own words re: "I pay you, via contract to protect my assets in the rare event of damages. I've incurred damages, I understand you have a contractual obligation to fulfill your end of our contractual agreement, this phone call will clarify what items/details are needed by you to complete that process".

Approach each written submission, call, documentation from the POV that you expect this to be completed clearly, promptly, efficiently. Repeat as needed.

If they can fault the packaging (most common reason to refuse payment), they will. Be prepared to defend your professional packaging in the best indisputable manner. You may tell them about how you took professional packaging classes offered by ".......", or how you or your relative worked in a packaging service, etc., just make it iron clad. Repeat the # of identically packaged items that went through without breakage.(in writing).

Stay cool. Insurance always banks on the consumer giving up & going away without a fight.

Remember there's technically no difference between a shipping insurance policy and other insurances, including a claim for personal injury, home damages, etc.

Keep notes, records and if you're contacted immediately ask for a moment to retrieve your file, even if you need to call back in 2 minutes.
visa vie.

Dont give up.

btw. the USPS has a website that allows an area for complaints.
If they know you are unhappy with the claims/insurance department, they may go to bat for you.

I hope you know your local Post Master/manager at the branch you use daily.

All the best.
(PS my claim was for $$K's$$ of electronics, professionally packed)

Have a beautiful day full of life, sunshine, happiness and productivity!
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Thank you very much. Some excellent advice in your post. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide this. Best wishes.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Oh you're most welcome.

I wish you only success.

Thanks for kind words, try to enjoy the longweekend.

• Organization,
  • Plan (list), 
  • Detail items to discuss (list) outstanding items (if any)
  • Goal stated, ($$,time,)
  • How to work to gether to goal?
  • Notes of responses 
  • names, dates, recordings. 
  • Time line for settlement before outside legal help is $$ (appt for response form other side.

Others workers for me took legal pads, drew line vertically done the middle- their list on left (?s, statements, etc).

Insurance comp. on the right.  (if you cant record, sort of short hand notes)

Have a beautiful day full of life, sunshine, happiness and productivity!
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

So was the reason for denial insufficient packaging, or insufficient evidence of value?

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

The reason they gave was insufficent packaging. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thanks again for the additional information. You mentioned there is a website which allows complaints, could give me the web address?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Wel my "Second and Final Appeal" was denied by USPS. Complete sham. Do not use USPS insurance, they don't pay out.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Smart sellers don't buy insurance.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I stopped buying USPS insurance after my $200 claim was denied, appealed, and got a final denial. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I purchased an antique lamp online for $1195.00.  The seller insured it for that amount.  The seller is an antiques dealer and sends many items...he knows how to pack.  There were other breakable items in the box but they were all double boxed.  The packaging was sufficient. The claim was denied for reason of insufficient packing..how they know this from 600 miles away I don't know.  My local post office has been of no help. Said they couldn't do anything on their end. I have appealed. Don't know how it will turn out but I will not get my money from the seller until the claim is settled in their ffavor.  It is a crying shame that the Postal Service will not honor their insurance.  They don't mind taking the insurance fee, though.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

bluegunnerswife - you CAN get your money - the insurance only protects the seller, not you.  Just open an Item Not As Described case in the Resolution Center, explain the damage and ask for a refund.  The seller MUST accept your request, but can ask for a return first.  The return will void his insurance.  If he refuses, then wait the required time and then ask eBay to step in - there will be a link when the right amount of time has passed, usually just a few days.  eBay will either send you a return label or will just refund your money. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply