cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM!! Need help!

Hi guys. I thought I got scammed. Here's the thing.

I bought a brand new iPhone Xs max 256GB from a zero feedback new user (registered on Mar. 2019) at a rather low price (less than 700 bucks) and thought it was a great deal on Apr. 16.

The seller did reply to my messages first till Apr. 18 and promised to provide the tracking information by the end of last week(Apr. 19 or 20). Then no message or order update.

Yesterday(Apr. 23) afternoon, the seller eventually updated the tracking number showing delivered status showing left at door.

But I didn't received anything!!! Weird as it is, the package did deliver to my city.

I just called ups to confirm what's going on. The rep said the address didn't match mine at all and cannot provide anything due to the privacy thing.

So I opened a case like an hour ago. But shortly afterwards, ebay closed the case coz the seller provided extra tracking info showing it is delivered to the correct address.

What should I do now? Can I issue a new case? I need you guys help me out this dilemma!!! Thanks a lot.

Ref: Tracking number: 1ZY694790390665351

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

SCAM!! Need help!

@huangenquan wrote:

Thanks for your advice. I'll call ups later see if they can provide such proof to me. If not, any alternative way to get my money back? Thx.

First, yes, this looks like a scam because (a) too good of a price to be true, (b) new seller, (c) shipping to a address in the same city, etc.  This is an experienced scammer.  They know how to bypass the eBay rules by pricing under $750 and using the "same zip-code scam".  The same-zip-code-scam knows that an Item Not Received claim will be rejected because the software robot simply looks at the tracking to see that the item has been delivered to the same zip code ... the scammer hopes you will not appeal or know what to do next.

Second, don't panic ... there are multiple layers of protection here to get your money back ... your money is not gone, but is sitting on hold over at PayPal just for scenarios like this.

Third, sorry for the hassle, but in the future, if it sounds too good to be true, then ... well ... you know the rest.  🙂

Here is what I would do:

1. Begin with calling eBay and ask to speak with someone who can help you with "appealing an Item Not Received case that involves fraud".  There used to be a specific customer service group called "Trust and Safety", but I don't think it exists any longer ... the bottom line is that you need to talk with someone who is not the front line of customer service agents who are well known to give bad advice and direction.  You need someone experienced with handling appeals for fraud.
  2. The advice you need to get surrounds getting it verified that UPS did not deliver to your specific address.  There are two ways for this to happen.  (1) eBay can call UPS and verify that the delivery address does not match your address, much like you did ... or (2) eBay may require you to do the legwork and get some sort of document from UPS.  Either way, an appeal needs to happen based on establishing that the delivery address does not match.
  3. The above (#1 and #2) should work, and hopefully eBay will make it an easy process for you ... if it doesn't, you can ultimately appeal to (a) PayPal for fraud or (b) your credit/debit card company for fraud.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

SCAM!! Need help!

Sold under the cost needed for signature required.   Yeah seller knew what they were doing.  You need to get something from the shipping coimpany saying it was not delivered your address on official company letter head.  You'll need to file an appeal with eBay. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

File with your Credit Card company or Paypal.     Provide them with the invalid tracking number that shows the wrong address.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

Thanks for your advice. I'll call ups later see if they can provide such proof to me. If not, any alternative way to get my money back? Thx.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

@huangenquan wrote:

First, yes, this looks like a scam because (a) too good of a price to be true, (b) new seller, (c) shipping to a address in the same city, etc.  This is an experienced scammer.  They know how to bypass the eBay rules by pricing under $750 and using the "same zip-code scam".  The same-zip-code-scam knows that an Item Not Received claim will be rejected because the software robot simply looks at the tracking to see that the item has been delivered to the same zip code ... the scammer hopes you will not appeal or know what to do next.

Second, don't panic ... there are multiple layers of protection here to get your money back ... your money is not gone, but is sitting on hold over at PayPal just for scenarios like this.

Third, sorry for the hassle, but in the future, if it sounds too good to be true, then ... well ... you know the rest.  🙂

Here is what I would do:

1. Begin with calling eBay and ask to speak with someone who can help you with "appealing an Item Not Received case that involves fraud".  There used to be a specific customer service group called "Trust and Safety", but I don't think it exists any longer ... the bottom line is that you need to talk with someone who is not the front line of customer service agents who are well known to give bad advice and direction.  You need someone experienced with handling appeals for fraud.
  2. The advice you need to get surrounds getting it verified that UPS did not deliver to your specific address.  There are two ways for this to happen.  (1) eBay can call UPS and verify that the delivery address does not match your address, much like you did ... or (2) eBay may require you to do the legwork and get some sort of document from UPS.  Either way, an appeal needs to happen based on establishing that the delivery address does not match.
  3. The above (#1 and #2) should work, and hopefully eBay will make it an easy process for you ... if it doesn't, you can ultimately appeal to (a) PayPal for fraud or (b) your credit/debit card company for fraud.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

Update: I sent an appeal with the email proof provided by ups and soon the seller refunded.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

Thanks for your detailed solution. It did work and I've got my money back. Have a good day!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

I'm curious because you are registered in China and the delivery info states it was delivered in New Castle, DE?  So you received a refund, but was the item sent to a mail forwarding company?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

Indeed I use mail forwarding company to transfer the package to China coz eBay is a "US" based platform and the company is located in New Castle, DE. I have used this company multiple times and I always put the correct address when I place an order. So not a chance for the package having been delivered to the right place.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

Great, now you have a free item.  Just another reason as to why I no longer sell here.  And yes, this is a US based company, however, any seller can ship internationally if they chose too, however, knowing that the item was sent to a freight forwarder to be shipped to the buyer, I just think the refund was/is premature.

Have a nice day

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

SCAM!! Need help!

I'm sorry? You think I am the scammer? That's totally nonsense! Let me show you the evidence I got from UPS.

And if the seller was the victim, why did he refund me so rapidly via paypal after I issued an appeal on the case? He can definitely prove himself by providing extra information, like the original shipping label and so on!2019-04-25_124008.jpg

Message 11 of 11
latest reply