cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Shipping Scam, INAD - Old Scam Lives On

Hello everyone,

I'll start off by saying that I am a long-time eBay seller and buyer, but I sell infrequently. I stupidly sold a CPU on October 21, to a buyer with zero feedback, against my better judgement. The CPU was brand new and sealed.  Shortly after the sale, I discovered that eBay had suspended the buyer's account.

About a week after the item was delivered to the buyer's PayPal address in San Diego, the buyer filed an INAD claim on PayPal, stating that "the item i received is a defective item. it will not power on at all. i checked everything but it just doesn't work. i power it on but nothing happens, not even any beeps that indicate it is running. it is completely dead on arrival."  Yeah, right (sarcasm off).

The buyer provided a USPS tracking number, a shipping label was created with origin in "Islandia, NY" wth, NY?  To cut a long story short, I never received the item, and according to the Post Office, the item was delivered to a different address within my zip code.  Very old scam, which I sadly found out about too late.  My local post office cannot provide a scan of the address that the package was delivered to, due to privacy concerns. In the meantime, the buyer was "refunded" their payment, and I am out a nearly $400.00 CPU. And to add insult to injury, the payment was deducted from my PayPal account.

I have filed police reports in San Diego and my local town.  I have also filed a report with the US Postal Inspectors, the CA Attorney General's office, and IC3. 

Has anyone encountered this scam recently, or a variation of it?  If so, were you able to successfully get your money back?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@darkcharmer78 wrote:

I never received the item, and according to the Post Office, the item was delivered to a different address within my zip code.  Very old scam, which I sadly found out about too late.  My local post office cannot provide a scan of the address that the package was delivered to, due to privacy concerns.   

Unfortunate that USPS privacy concerns do not help the victim.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

It is unfortunate. It allows the thief a foolproof way to steal from honest sellers and buyers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Wow, that's a terrible scam. But please don't call yourself stupid, you were just following Ebay regulations and shipping an item after it was sold. The blame all falls on the scammer.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply