cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems selling jewelry on eBay

I sell antique and vintage jewelry on eBay with a lifetime of experience and 100% feedback . soooooo many problems .....  1.  Return policy :  scammers constantly buy the jewelry try to sell it for profit then return it within their allowed 30 day piriod if they can't resell it for a profit .  2. Buyers will return things simply by putting it in the mail making the reimbursement for final value fees and PayPal fees nonexistent & impossible to recover fees somehow they're not being instructed how to make a return so it doesn't put the seller out of business .    3. Waiting on hold when businesses slammed the phone is blowing up in the middle of the 80 hour week Only to jump through a almost useless recording .       I would like to work with and see eBay make some serious changes in the jewelry area as it is clearly a difficult area to manage or it would not be excluded from  the global shipping program .   Any other jewelry dealers having problems .       Brian  Forgottentreasures503. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That is why I no longer sell any good jewlery here. I limit it to mainly Kitch pieces and broken lots without much in the way of content but with good pictures and the lots weight. These are aimed mainly at crafters. (there is actually a pretty good market for broken bits). The crafters are usually going to cut them into pieces anyway.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

We have some of those problems but not to the extent you mention.    We have an occasional return after two weeks or more, suggesting the buyer tried to resell at a show and couldn't, but we don't get those often.      I think the last one we had like that was 3 months ago.

When people send things back without going through the ebay return process yes you do have to refund through PP and then call ebay CS to point out you have refunded, and get your FVF back.

yes it is a time waster but we have gotten our FVFs back. 

We mostly give 30 day free returns on jewelry but it has not resulted in a flood of returns.  Maybe because jewelry mostly costs about $3. to ship, the shipping costs are not usually significant.

If you sell used jewelry and a piece comes back,  unless it has been damaged the resale value of it has not been affected.   That is not the case with new clothes or other new items that sellers of those items are often forced to take back.  Once those items are worn or used once,  the value is reduced to half or sometimes nothing.  Antique jewelry is not like that.

The problems you mention have mostly not been major for us.   I think they would be worse  for sellers of non-jewelry items, those folks really have problems with returns. IMHO.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

We have had the same problems also.  Were happy not to use the global shipping program it was just to expensive for the customers and it just made things more complicated for us.  We have had a lot of returns.  They have slowed down for the last month and there has not been as many.  We agree with you there is a lot that need changed to make things more honest for everyone.  At this point anyone who files a return they are blocked right away.  Its not fair to some and we know that but it works both ways.  We get attacked with low offers everday even when the item is discounted already.  We dont mind the low ball offers so much.   We hope to see things get better here.  We hope to see ebay care more about there sellers.  Best regards

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Lewis, we all hope for better. 

We had one buyer who bought and returned 3 things "to try to match" something she already had, before she bought one thing she kept.  Ebay is already counting the number of returns a seller has, against that seller in search.    I am pretty sure of that. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Amen! New fine jewelry the same.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I sell vintage and antique jewelry as well and I've had maybe two returns in the last 15 years
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That is why I no longer sell any good jewlery here. I limit it to mainly Kitch pieces and broken lots without much in the way of content but with good pictures and the lots weight. These are aimed mainly at crafters. (there is actually a pretty good market for broken bits). The crafters are usually going to cut them into pieces anyway.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply