cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package was opened and contents stolen before I got it from the mailbox

I need help with how to deal with my order being stolen.

My packaged arrived in the mailbox and it appears to have been cleanly cut open from the side, instead of the sealed opening, and had the contents removed. Package also has different tracking number than what eBay shows, but lists the exact same info on USPS site for both numbers. USPS says "Delivered" for both numbers but eBay hasn't changed the tracking details since it was provided and says it's expected 4 days to over a month from now.

I have read a post a year ago about a similar issue and someone provided a good way to go about it, but eBay stills says it isn't delivered. Should I wait until eBay updates that it's delivered or should I go ahead and try to get a refund first, before it's too late? Any other ideas are appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

They are both the same tracking number, @tlenovo. The longer one is just the shorter one with a few more numbers added in FRONT of it.

You cannot start a refund request for a month, not until after the longest estimated delivery date. But you can start a return request now, using the reason Missing Parts or Pieces, 3rd from the bottom of this list:

https://www.lifewire.com/thmb/tGDO_RbG05P27anuEl9d8AOhqBc=/1000x667/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/ebayreturn01-5c1a8408c9e77c0001e1a02c.jpg

Click More Actions > Return This Item to the right of the item in your Purchases page. Just state the facts as you did here; do not try to have a conversation.

Within 3 business days, your seller will have to either refund, no return needed, or issue a return label, you send back the slit package, enclosing inside another. If your seller does neither after 3 business days, click Ask eBay to step in.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I'm not sure the "return item" would really work as "missing parts or pieces" with it being opened and emptied before I got to it, but I suppose I could try. Also, the 2 tracking numbers aren't the same one with just one having a few numbers added. They are the same length at 26 digits and have 13 numbers changed in different spots, the other 13 being the same.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@tlenovo   For the mutual benefit of both you and the Seller you need to immediately contact your local police and file a Police Report and send a copy to the Seller so they have it on file in the event they pursue an insurance claim.

You need to take pictures of the package as well.

How close is your mailbox to your house?

Is it a busy street or a rural area?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The mailbox is part of a mailbox cluster just across the straight that's 2 lanes wide. House is in the suburbs on a not so busy street, but a school is a few blocks over. Also, the seller is based in Hong Kong

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@tlenovo   Thanks for the additional information ...

Regards,
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@tlenovo wrote:

The mailbox is part of a mailbox cluster just across the straight that's 2 lanes wide. House is in the suburbs on a not so busy street, but a school is a few blocks over. Also, the seller is based in Hong Kong

The set up with your mailbox is problematic. I would contact the local police and your Postmaster. Ask if there have been other thefts reported in the area. It may benefit you to put in a Hold For Pick-up order and have the carrier deliver a notice and leave the package at the PO.

If it is a real problem you could get with the other customers and see about going in for a locking gang box with parcel locker.

See the source image

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Just trying to understand why it is the seller's responsibility if the package was delivered but someone ripped it open and stole the contents?  Seems to me that is between the buyer, the Post Office and possibly the police.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@tlenovo   I agree with @lja440  about the local "cluster" of mailboxes being an issue.  Sellers are NOT responsible for the security of the delivery site or address of a Buyer ... it is out of their control.  If tracking shows delivered their job is done.  I recall at least one Buyer who had their package stolen right off their porch ... through a satellite real estate website I was able to get a view of their home from the street and sure enough, it was a prime target with lots of over grown shrubs where someone could have easily gotten something and gotten away undetected ...

Regards,
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@tide_redux wrote:

Just trying to understand why it is the seller's responsibility if the package was delivered but someone ripped it open and stole the contents?  Seems to me that is between the buyer, the Post Office and possibly the police.  

Great question!    Why should any seller be responsible in this situation?    

If my wife mistakenly throws away a package I'm waiting for or one of the kids drops it in a puddle of water,   Should

I chase the seller and ask for him or her to pay to fix my kids clumsiness?  

The buyer is left hanging.    And it's exactly the right thing.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Did the package bear any notification from the USPS that it was received and delivered in the condition that you found it?  I would probably notify the Postal Inspectors of potentially pilfered mail as well as file a report with local authorities. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If the item was stolen out of the box after it being delivered, you need to file a police report and file mail theft with USPS.

If the item was stolen after delivery, it's not the sellers or Ebay's responsibility to refund.

If the item was stolen, before being delivered and USPS noted the package was empty, then you could file an INAD.

Happy Easter
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I'm surprised the thief went to the effort of opening the package, removing the contents, and putting the opened package back in the mailbox.  Most thieves would just take the whole thing and open it later in safety.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 13 of 13
latest reply