cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok ebay where did the charge an extra rate for pr, ak, and hi go? Did you think we wouldn't notice?

So sometime in the last 3 days ebay decided to completely remove the optional charge on fedex and ups shipments to charge extra to pr, ak, and hi. This only appears when you do free shipping so you can be safe still offering free ship.  It's often 3x times more to ship to them as it is locally. I sell heavy items, I've had things that normally run about 15 bucks run me 50 to pr. I'm limited to usps, and the start balloon rating me. SO now what????? Just cancel them, update all my ads with no shipping to pr, or just be quiet and pay more than the item is worth to ship it. THANKS ebay, another brilliant idea

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Ok ebay where did the charge an extra rate for pr, ak, and hi go? Did you think we wouldn't notice?

Easiest way would be to exclude Alaska, Hawaii, and US Protectorates in your Shipping Policy for heavy items. If you try to cover those with free shipping, you'll be eating the few that actually get sold to those places. If you want to, put something in your description telling buyers in those places to contact you so that you can discuss shipping.

I "accidentally" noticed the same and also ship heavy items. I contacted ebay about it, but no answer yet. I concur with your comment "THANKS ebay, another brilliant idea"

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Not an eBay issue.  The carriers set the shipping costs.  Sellers need to investigate what their shipping costs  to the various destinations will be before they list an item light weight or "heavy" weight or use  calculated shipping.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

You arent understanding what he/she is saying.
It absolutely is an ebay issue.

I sell an electric scooter and get many PR buyers.

It cost me over $200 to ship them so I charge $175 for shipping.
Now all the sudden its charging them NOTHING.

I just got 4 purchased to Alaska, This will be a FORTUNE.

What in the world is ebay doing???

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Well on all your listings you are offering "free shipping" to the US (that includes Alaska and US Protectorates such as Puerto Rico) via UPS Ground.  You could  have buried that $200 cost into your selling price by doing a little home work first and what your carrier would charge to those locations.

Be glad you  didn't get an order for from Guam (another US Protectorate) for one of those Segway scooters.

You have the Option to exclude US Protectorates and I believe Hawaii & Alaska - your choice.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

You're still not understanding.

There used to be a place you could add a cost (surcharge if you will) on the shipping listed for any items going to AK HI or PR which covered the seller for these destinations. Now it's gone leaving the seller exposed to free shipping for those locales.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

As Ronsam said below. You are wrong.

My homework is done, Ive been selling on ebay for 22 years so I know what im talking about.

I have Guam already blocked.

Ive sold these for months to PR buyers and they got charged $175 every time until these last couple days.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I have Guam already blocked.

I guess I am missing that.....  or don't know what I am seeing?

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 5.30.38 PM.png

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I read thru  there blocked countries - didn't see Guam or Puerto Rico blocke or Alaska or Hawaii.

My guess they  didn't read the news about UPS Dec. 27 2020 price increase and other changes.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@ronsam-197 wrote:

You're still not understanding.

There used to be a place you could add a cost (surcharge if you will) on the shipping listed for any items going to AK HI or PR which covered the seller for these destinations. Now it's gone leaving the seller exposed to free shipping for those locales.

I happen to have an old screen shot of what this option looked like:

shipping  FedExflat add surcharge AK HI hawaii.png

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@jaguarsales.inc 

Shipping preferences https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf  > shipping rate tables  https://www.ebay.com/ship/rt

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

As an aside to this issue, I really wish they'd get their head out of wherever it is and stop with the PR is "International" bleep. 

I haven't had a sale to PR since I've been in MP but I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them charge me the "International sale" fee.

Why is it SO difficult for ebay's system to figure out Protectorates use domestic USPS services?

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I would exclude them and then mention in the listing that if they live in excluded areas to contact you for shipping rates.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@jaguarsales.inc wrote:

So sometime in the last 3 days ebay decided to completely remove the optional charge on fedex and ups shipments to charge extra to pr, ak, and hi. This only appears when you do free shipping so you can be safe still offering free ship.  It's often 3x times more to ship to them as it is locally. I sell heavy items, I've had things that normally run about 15 bucks run me 50 to pr. I'm limited to usps, and the start balloon rating me. SO now what????? Just cancel them, update all my ads with no shipping to pr, or just be quiet and pay more than the item is worth to ship it. THANKS ebay, another brilliant idea

@jaguarsales.inc   Can you please provide me with a screenshot of what the current listing format looks like.  I use business policies and I'm not sure if it looks the same.

I am working with Brian.T to get this reported to the right eBay dept.   The more documentation we have the better.   

You can either PM me or reply to this thread but be sure to @ mention me or I might not see it.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 15 of 26
latest reply