cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new take on Free Returns is No and this is why

If the customer has to pay to ship back their remorse return they may think twice about whether they should or want to return it.

I am only out the shipping to them since I pay for shipping in my business.

I have to give a 100 % return anyway and can only deduct a small percentage if they opened it and I offered free returns.

Example Mattress pad sold for 42.89.

Shipping to Customer average 15.00

Customer ships back they ordered the wrong size

I refund 42.89 even though they opened the package

If I do the free returns I can deduct 4.29 off for the open package but I paid 15.00 to have them ship it back to me

I lose top rated plus which is 42 cents but oh well.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@waterbed_bigfoot wrote:

If the customer has to pay to ship back their remorse return they may think twice about whether they should or want to return it.

I am only out the shipping to them since I pay for shipping in my business.

I have to give a 100 % return anyway and can only deduct a small percentage if they opened it and I offered free returns.

Example Mattress pad sold for 42.89.

Shipping to Customer average 15.00

Customer ships back they ordered the wrong size

I refund 42.89 even though they opened the package

If I do the free returns I can deduct 4.29 off for the open package but I paid 15.00 to have them ship it back to me

I lose top rated plus which is 42 cents but oh well.

? Why only 10% for opening the package.  Doesn't that come under "returned in condition received?  I get that the 42 cnets is not worth loosing the 4.29 but isn't the problem that customers just start saying "Not as described" and eBay sides with them and you end up paying return shipping?  This is what happened to me... What am I missing here?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

some merchandise are just not feasible to buy/sell on Ebay-water bed,furniture,live trees,dogs,cats,chicken!

you can take so many hits if your margin is high,but if it is slim,then ?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It is interesting that at a time that Amazon is closing customer accounts for buyers that return too many items that eBay decides to implement a free return requirement for top sellers.  This policy could potentially have a huge negative impact on sellers.  I almost think that it means I have to increase my shipping costs for honest, loyal customers across the board to provide protection against unscrupulous buyers who are going to ask to return items knowing that it will be cheaper for sellers to tell them to go ahead and keep the order.  I have a very bad feeling about the potential negative impact of this policy.  I am hopeful that eBay will rethink this decision, before it is too late.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

This is one of the reasons why sellers such as myself are trying every other sales venue first, and saving eBay as a last resort.  I sell used band instruments.  I've always offered free returns if not as described, and a small restocking fee if they just don't like it.  With forced 30-day returns, people will buy several instruments from several different sellers, knowing that they can spend the next 30 days picking out the one they like best--or waiting for a cheaper one to come along--and then return all the others.  Every time I finish talking to Reverb customer support, they ask, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?"  And every time I reply, "Don't become like eBay."

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

> This is one of the reasons why sellers such as myself are trying every other sales venue first, and saving eBay as a last resort. 

Right.

I am making piles now: eBay; set up at the flea market; donate to Community Aid; take to live local auction.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@nancycyburbanYou may not have seen this yet but eBay has put new guidelines in for the deductions we can take;

Guidelines for issuing a partial refund: Condition of return Refund deduction guidance

No Deductions Excellent condition:

• Unused
  • Undamaged
  • Unaltered
  • All items included in the original package included
  • Original packaging (where applicable)
  • Must include provided certificates of authenticity, grading or appraisal
  • Factory seal must not be broken/opened (if applicable)
  • Original tags included & attached (where applicable)
  • Food and liquor items must not be opened
  • Vacuum seal intact (if applicable)

No deductions Good condition:

• Missing original packaging
  • Not sealed
  • Original tags unattached

10% deduction Fair condition:

• Missing parts
  • Signs of wear or use
  • Item has been installed
  • Original tags missing

20-30% deduction Poor condition:

• Signs of use
  • Missing essential parts
  • Item is damaged
  • Broken factory seal
  • Materially different than how it was shipped to the buyer
  • Item is defective, requires service or repair
  • Missing provided certificates of authenticity, grading or appraisal
  • Opened food and liquor items
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@nancycyburban

Why only 10% for opening the package.  New conditions rule on free returns

Doesn't that come under "returned in condition received? 

I get that the 42 cnets is not worth loosing the 4.29 but isn't the problem that customers just start saying "Not as described" and eBay sides with them and you end up paying return shipping?  This is what happened to me... What am I missing here?

I'm giving up the 42 cents and the $4.29 for an open package return that can't be resold as new for a buyer remorse free return and went back to buyer pays so I don't have to pay the return shipping which is much higher at 15.00

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@waterbed_bigfoot wrote:

@nancycyburban

Why only 10% for opening the package.  New conditions rule on free returns

Doesn't that come under "returned in condition received? 

I get that the 42 cnets is not worth loosing the 4.29 but isn't the problem that customers just start saying "Not as described" and eBay sides with them and you end up paying return shipping?  This is what happened to me... What am I missing here?

I'm giving up the 42 cents and the $4.29 for an open package return that can't be resold as new for a buyer remorse free return and went back to buyer pays so I don't have to pay the return shipping which is much higher at 15.00

Ok, I get that & I certain agree.  But remember what I said in the other thread (and what other sellers seem to be saying).  Buyer remorse returns are being filed as Not As Described 's.   eBay is allowing this twisting to go unchecked by holding the "proof" bar so high a seller can't possible win an appeal.  Right now, I am doing the same in my store, and crossing my fingers.
However I think seller need to keep insisting this issue be addressed.  I know I will.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@waterbed_bigfoot wrote:

@nancycyburbanYou may not have seen this yet but eBay has put new guidelines in for the deductions we can take;

Guidelines for issuing a partial refund: Condition of return Refund deduction guidance

No Deductions Excellent condition:

• Unused
  • Undamaged
  • Unaltered
  • All items included in the original package included
  • Original packaging (where applicable)
  • Must include provided certificates of authenticity, grading or appraisal
  • Factory seal must not be broken/opened (if applicable)
  • Original tags included & attached (where applicable)
  • Food and liquor items must not be opened
  • Vacuum seal intact (if applicable)

No deductions Good condition:

• Missing original packaging
  • Not sealed
  • Original tags unattached

10% deduction Fair condition:

• Missing parts
  • Signs of wear or use
  • Item has been installed
  • Original tags missing

20-30% deduction Poor condition:

• Signs of use
  • Missing essential parts
  • Item is damaged
  • Broken factory seal
  • Materially different than how it was shipped to the buyer
  • Item is defective, requires service or repair
  • Missing provided certificates of authenticity, grading or appraisal
  • Opened food and liquor items

You are right I have not seen this list. 
Question... would not using a waterbed be Poor Condition > signs of use ?   When I read you initial post I was appalled a buyer would have the nerve to fill, use, then return a water bed.  It is so not re-salable as new.  (is it re-salable at all?)  The thought is disgusting, how did they dry it out enough to even pack and ship it?  Wasn't it all moldy by the time you got it back?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@ashanteemusic wrote:

Every time I finish talking to Reverb customer support, they ask, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?"  And every time I reply, "Don't become like eBay."

I got a not so fun surprise from Reverb today... they suspended several of my listings for parts that look alike, telling me I can't sell the same item in multiple listings and telling me that I have to be an authorized dealer in for any items I list as new.  Well, I have a good number of items that I source myself, and have made for me by machine shops and manufacturing facilities, some here in the US, some not.  BUT, if I have those items made for me, then I AM the one who gets to decide who is an authorized dealer for them, not anyone else.  I have a battery holder made for me that fits a bunch of Ibanez guitars.  I also have a guitar nut made for me that fits a bunch of Ibanez guitars.  I started sourcing these because Hoshino/Ibanez was CONSTANTLY out of them and got tired of having customers waiting for them to get back in stock at Hoshino/Ibanez.  This was when I had a music store, which I closed four years ago... but I still source and sell the parts here and on Reverb.  Well, Reverb decided today that I can't list them as new, but can only list them as "mint used", even though I explained to them that I SOURCE these parts and they are absolutely new and never installed.  Also, they changed the condition on a couple of Fender parts I have listed that are new in the package, but are left over from when I had a store, telling me that I am not an authorized dealer for them so I can't sell them as new, even though they're clearly new in the package.  UGH.  I sent Reverb support a rather long and irritated email, but I haven't heard back from them yet.  Frustrating.  I told them that I had been in the process of migrating my listings over there from here at eBay, but I may have to reconsider.  We will see what they say to that.  I have the owner's business card here somewhere, they were at summer NAMM for the last couple of years talking to folks in the industry and meeting a lot of their sellers.  Guy even said he recognized my user name.  Might be time to contact him.   Starting up a website and dumping both eBay and Reverb is starting to look appealing.....

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Also, since it wouldn't let me change the condition back to "new" in my listings, I add the word "New" to the title and explained in the listings that these ARE new, never used, and NOT used/mint like Reverb changed them to for some reason. We will see if Reverb takes action against me or not. I have sold these parts here on eBay for well over 10 years, and I've sold THOUSANDS of them between here and Reverb. Hopefully common sense will prevail with regard to Reverb, but after getting the "some of your listings do not meet return policy standards" email from eBay and then checking my email again and getting the one from Reverb too, well, I'm not exactly feeling real nice toward either of them at the moment. Why after selling on reverb from within a couple weeks of them starting up am I being questioned now when I've never had a customer complaint except for an item that USPS broke, and that customer wasn't mad at me, he just wanted to know if I'd replace it, which I gladly did.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@nancycyburbanThe return that was made to us like all the returns we have gotten in the last couple of years are not resellable so no good to us at all.   That particular bundle is 124.95 and costs around 25.00 to ship out.  Our profit on the item is $13.40.  If we were to offer the free return we could get potentially $37.48 back and only lose or 124.95 plus 50.00 in shipping both ways.   eBay customer service stated to us that we had to refund 100% of the item because they had to side with the buyer and give the buyer a benefit of a doubt.  Thank goodness the manager stepped in the return department that would look at a pictures and gave a one time courtesy payment in full to this customer from eBay.  That is why we won't do the free returns at all.  Other sellers are saying the same thing on remorse returns.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@nancycyburbanWe know that they can do a not as described and get a free return anyway.  But so far and knock on wood for the last couple of years our remorse buyers have been paying to ship the item back to us even if it is not in resellable condition usually.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply